teaching strangers how to fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teaching strangers how to fish

When I'm inviting a stranger to become a regular, my fast-tracking him to the TGNS Primer and telling him to "just sign it" increases the likelihood that he won't know what he's even signing. That, little by little, contributes to a playerbase not really understanding TG. That's giving out fish.

Instead of assuring the guy that "it'll only take a few seconds to sign it, and then your question mark turns into a P!!!1", I'm preferring an alternative:

I'll tell strangers that the question mark just means they're new here, and that they haven't said hello in our forums yet, and that they can find information there that will let them get rid of their question mark. I invite them to ask questions there if they have any problems. That's very brief, doesn't interrupt gameplay too much, and it's very easy for players to understand.

I won't mention the TGNS Primer specifically. I'll leave them to be in an exploratory mindset when they arrive. They're going to look around. They've had a good experience on the server, and they're curious to discover what we're about, and so they're incentivized to read and look around. Maybe they'll lurk for a few visits before creating a forum account. That's fine.

And them looking around is good. There's a lot here to discover, beyond even our little corner of this great community.

And they'll find the TGNS Primer, specifically. And they'll read it. The Primer invites them to READ and AGREE. If they do both things, I want them to have that "P" on the scoreboard and the benefits that come along with it -- and the value they add to the server by being one more player who UNDERSTANDS and RESONATES with what we're doing here that's so special.

And they'll figure out that Supporting Memberships are a thing. And maybe they'll become one right away, as many of our new friends have so far.

But I don't want to deprive my new friends of that exploration and discovery, and I certainly don't want people signing the TGNS Primer who haven't read it at their own pace, and so I won't form a beeline for them to the TGNS Primer when they ask how to get rid of the question mark. I'll send them to the forums and let them figure it out. I'll let them go fishing.

And we'll answer whatever questions they have, and we'll improve the required reading in time to preemptively answer the common questions that strangers ask.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: teaching strangers how to fish

I like the lighthandedness of this method :)

Comment

Something I meant to mention in my original post. Sometimes I do mention the TGNS Primer when talking to strangers, as the conversation sometimes leads to that, and sometimes very quickly. And that's OK. But those are exceptions (even if they're frequent). My default posture is to let them know, simply, that there's a website, and a large community, beyond the server they've just discovered, and that it's worth their while to discover all of it.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        When I'm inviting a stranger to become a regular, my fast-tracking him to the TGNS Primer and telling him to "just sign it" increases the likelihood that he won't know what he's even signing. That, little by little, contributes to a playerbase not really understanding TG. That's giving out fish.

Instead of assuring the guy that "it'll only take a few seconds to sign it, and then your question mark turns into a P!!!1", I'm preferring an alternative:

I'll tell strangers that the question mark just means they're new here, and that they haven't said hello in our forums yet, and that they can find information there that will let them get rid of their question mark. I invite them to ask questions there if they have any problems. That's very brief, doesn't interrupt gameplay too much, and it's very easy for players to understand.

I won't mention the TGNS Primer specifically. I'll leave them to be in an exploratory mindset when they arrive. They're going to look around. They've had a good experience on the server, and they're curious to discover what we're about, and so they're incentivized to read and look around. Maybe they'll lurk for a few visits before creating a forum account. That's fine.

And them looking around is good. There's a lot here to discover, beyond even our little corner of this great community.

And they'll find the TGNS Primer, specifically. And they'll read it. The Primer invites them to READ and AGREE. If they do both things, I want them to have that "P" on the scoreboard and the benefits that come along with it -- and the value they add to the server by being one more player who UNDERSTANDS and RESONATES with what we're doing here that's so special.

And they'll figure out that Supporting Memberships are a thing. And maybe they'll become one right away, as many of our new friends have so far.

But I don't want to deprive my new friends of that exploration and discovery, and I certainly don't want people signing the TGNS Primer who haven't read it at their own pace, and so I won't form a beeline for them to the TGNS Primer when they ask how to get rid of the question mark. I'll send them to the forums and let them figure it out. I'll let them go fishing.

And we'll answer whatever questions they have, and we'll improve the required reading in time to preemptively answer the common questions that strangers ask.
        /agree
        Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...