• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post on UWE forums about our reserved slots

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...mer-and-voogru
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: Post on UWE forums about our reserved slots

I see a lot of whining from people who think that:
    a. they're entitled to join any server they want at any time and everyone else can go poo
    b. people who have no coding experience bashing coders doing the best they can with 0 help from UWE

I think they can whine all they like. We have the #7 ranked NS2 server worldwide amidst the griping about our slot system. That speaks for itself. Everyone in the community, including the steady influx of new faces (hi guys!) knows how it works and doesnt have a problem with it. Furthermore, if they'd like to discuss it with us directly, they're more than welcome to come here and open a line of discussion. We have never just changed the way we do business because some random person complains about something on our server on a third party forum, dont think we're going to start now.

Comment

If we could have custom kick messages, we would. We're waiting on that feature. Very patiently.
      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
        If we could have custom kick messages, we would. We're waiting on that feature. Very patiently.
        That not the only thing we waiting on. We waiting on the server being able to lie about how many slots it has left. Players being able to force connection to a server that is full, be verified before you are connected and put you in if you match a list and things like that.

NS1 had reserves slots more or less perfect. You force the connection if it was full and if you had a slot, it would kick then and let you join if it could. Here a person has to fully join the server before the game can see if they have a reserved slot.

Although... Do you think we could get a pre-server like we had back in NS1 for the whole VAC thing? Although we likely need to have that server lie to make it work right, moving it back on the NS2 devs...
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Either the custom kick message or the hidden slots would handle the issue of communicating or avoiding misconceptions about the reserved slots.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

You'll find several mentions of TGNS if you go looking through the last (almost) decade of UWE forums. People saying good and bad things about you is an unavoidable side effect of being successful.

Two things contribute to my decision to not password the server when it's full:

1) a regular who bypasses the server browser via a Windows shortcut specifying a server address and a password will be denied entry when the server is not passworded (and I can't change that)
            2) we're fortunate enough, presently, to have a full server every night despite the inconveniences we create by maintaining the status quo

I do wish we could please EVERYONE. We please so many. But I wish we could please them all.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You don't need to please some people Wyz. Some people are on a constant vigil for any server they can stomp with their friends or one where everyone plays perfectly. NS has a very toxic element to it, and honestly most of those people are just not fun to play with. Not all of them, some are great...but enough to where if you can make them happy, great. But if not, meh.
              ~Psi~

Comment

I tried explaining the situation over at the UWE forums, but that Crazy Eddie won't see our reasoning. I'm not too worried about it.
                |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Some people never are satisfied, best thing is to ignore someone who keeps going on about something. He really needs to start his own server and see how annoying it can be.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

I can't help but feel that this problem would be mostly solved by better using the 19 characters in "Natural Selection 2" with "Server Full at 16" or "Full at 16 players", similar to how TG's PR server announced that it was full at 62 right in the server description. It is redundant to have the server, which is primarily accessed from inside NS2's server browser, display that it is in fact a Natural Selection 2 server.

Comment

I don't know that we necessarily care about what other forums say about our slots? If they play on the server, they know about the slots and the forums. If they're on the forums, they know even more about the slots and are free to contribute to a discussion as to whether it's improved or not.

But if they neither play nor are active here, then their input isn't very helpful and heighten the likelihood that they are trolls.

Comment

+1 on mat552's suggestion. 'Full at 16 players' is good.

Comment

I would have never considered becoming a member of this community had I not had a history with the TGNS1 server, purely because I never would have tried to join again after the 2nd or 3rd time getting kicked upon trying.

But more disturbing to me is the more recent post about admins in that thread.
                          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                            I would have never considered becoming a member of this community had I not had a history with the TGNS1 server, purely because I never would have tried to join again after the 2nd or 3rd time getting kicked upon trying.

But more disturbing to me is the more recent post about admins in that thread.
                            This is a good point. Maybe when/if we get another server we can use that as a waiting room to join a non-listed server. I am curious if the servers can make users reconnect to a different ip.
                            Lights Out!

Comment

I'd imagine a server that autoconnects to a different IP would have several security issues, if it was even possible.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X