Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post on UWE forums about our reserved slots

Originally posted by bentring View Post
    But more disturbing to me is the more recent post about admins in that thread.
    That's fairly typical of threads like that. Its best to ignore it.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
      That's fairly typical of threads like that. Its best to ignore it.
      And often posted lacking context like "so there I was trolling everyone with overt racism and then some admin told me to knock it off before..."

Yeah, best to ignore it most of the time.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
        I'd imagine a server that autoconnects to a different IP would have several security issues, if it was even possible.
        Yes possible, (have no idea if possible in NS2) and was done in NS1, but only to other servers being run by the same owner/group. Auto-redirecting to some random server is a big security issue, almost a form a DDOS (depending on volume)

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
        I can't help but feel that this problem would be mostly solved by better using the 19 characters in "Natural Selection 2" with "Server Full at 16" or "Full at 16 players", similar to how TG's PR server announced that it was full at 62 right in the server description. It is redundant to have the server, which is primarily accessed from inside NS2's server browser, display that it is in fact a Natural Selection 2 server.
        You don't have to care, just note that it is the impression given (kicked on join, kicked while in game) can leave a negative impression about the server.

Having read through both threads I understand why it is the way it is, but it doesn't change the fact that if I cannot be a reliable team-member (due to threat of kick at any time) then I simply can't play here.

Hopefully better support comes out that changes this in the future.
        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

When UWE lets us lie about our total slot count, the joining experience will improve dramatically, as most join attempts will place players on a team.

Your odds of staying on that team won't much be helped by our ability to lie in this way. If you're not helping to pay the bills, there will always be a chance that our reserved slot logic entitles the full-server slot you're occupying to another player.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
            I can't help but feel that this problem would be mostly solved by better using the 19 characters in "Natural Selection 2" with "Server Full at 16" or "Full at 16 players", similar to how TG's PR server announced that it was full at 62 right in the server description. It is redundant to have the server, which is primarily accessed from inside NS2's server browser, display that it is in fact a Natural Selection 2 server.
            I brought this up before, but don't remember the argument against it...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I don't recall what the argument was (I haven't tried hard to remember -- see following text), but others, too, have recommended it, and I'm going to proceed with that change until UWE lets us lie about slots.

My apologies to everyone who recommended it before (for my not having acted sooner, or with less convincing).

I've been disappointed, at times, reading that UWE thread, but there have been several impressive moments, both by ours and others, as discussion has occurred in that thread.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Really? I laughed my way through it with all the non-stop brutal hilarity of "Server admins we don't know owe us things!" and "How dare you work around a broken system for supporters of your service and, in the process, inconvenience me!? My mommy said I was special!"

Comprox is a classy guy though. Used to play TWG with him years back.

Comment

Everything's relative. I guess I set the bar pretty low when I'm most places online.

Comment

20% more SteamIDs passed through our single server during the week following my addition of "16/23 = full" to our server name than during the week immediately before the change. I do think (and don't know) that these were mostly people who got kicked immediately upon trying to join the full server.

I think two things:

1) many players read that text
                    2) most players, by far, do not read that text

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X