client files are now checked for consistency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• client files are now checked for consistency

TGNS now checks most client files for consistency. That is, it aims to prevent the connection of any client which has modded one of the monitored client files. This should not extend mapchange, pre-game, or in-game delays at all.

If this causes a problem for you, please privately contact the admins.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: client files are now checked for consistency

Awesome!
    Lights Out!

Comment

Sweet. Thanks!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This has increased server load times per map. The additional delay ranges from 10-20 seconds, in my anecdotal observation.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I haven't noticed anything, but someone said, hey my custom skins are not there any more. It would be awesome if we could add a server and a client custom skin for TG'ers that was not so much of a skin, but a different outfit that someone could select.
          Lights Out!

Comment

I have seen a large difference in the server load times, but I'm not sure a big enough deal to disable the checker.
            |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

How many seconds, ballpark, would you say the consistency checking has added to map load times? How many seconds is "large"?

Comment

I really don't notice all that much of an increase load time. I think NS2 has a very fast loading time compared to many other games I have played. Maybe a few seconds longer now that you mention it.
                Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  How many seconds, ballpark, would you say the consistency checking has added to map load times? How many seconds is "large"?
                  I think it has added about 45 seconds or so, most likely due to only having 8GB of RAM and forgetting to order more.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I just played a few rounds and didn't notice any increase in load time. I suppose it could've increased by up to, say, 10 seconds without being noticeable to me, though.

Oh, and I only have 4GB of RAM, but putting NS2 on my SSD cut the load times from around 2 minutes to under a minute. I'll time it next time I play (if I remember).
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I am always the first person in the server. I load in about 15 seconds if the server is being responsive. I don't mind the extra time, but is there any way to refine the code to do less work? Possibly exclude players from being scanned if they were playing last game? Perhaps assign a variable if they were scanned in the last hour? Of course someone could enable their client side mods after that, but it would only last an hour. If 10 people were scanned in the last hour, then only 6 or less need to be scanned by the server - thus reducing load time.
                      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

I'm not aware of any availability for us to mod the server to behave as you've described.

Comment

It seems to me like the actual map loading time isn't any longer, it's the time before it actually starts the % counts that last 10-15 seconds longer. It's still much, much shorter than map loading was with the precaching bug a few builds ago, so I'm happy with it as is.
                          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I deeply mourn the loss of healspray hearts and cute gorgie eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              I just played a few rounds and didn't notice any increase in load time. I suppose it could've increased by up to, say, 10 seconds without being noticeable to me, though.

Oh, and I only have 4GB of RAM, but putting NS2 on my SSD cut the load times from around 2 minutes to under a minute. I'll time it next time I play (if I remember).
                              I don't have any times from before this was implemented, but last night I timed two map changes. The first one took 43 seconds, the second one took 67 seconds. It doesn't seem to me that this consistency checking adds any significant time to the loading process.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X