Remove Lava Falls from map rotation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Lava Falls from map rotation?

I know it is a cool looking map and it is an official one as well. Though as it stands the marines only win by two ways:

1) Aliens have a very under skilled team verses a very skilled marine team
    2) Marines rush

Even when we did the captains games the aliens won both times even though the players switched teams.

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Remove Lava Falls from map rotation?

Winning is just a means to an end: enjoyment.

I enjoy the map.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Refinery's always tended to have drawn out games with some good back-and-forth, in my experience anyway. At the very least, Refinery doesn't have the problem of Tram where if the marines spawn at close positions they're just flat out dead in seconds 90% of the time, and dead in minutes the other 10%. Tram needs some serious attention.

Comment

I think Refinery is a very good map and I like playing there. I love Lava Falls, I love Pipeworks, I love Conduit, I love Containment, I love Lamp.
        |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

I don't know why but as marines thats my best map on TG.

If we started to optimize for fairness (Marines win between 45-55% of the time) we would be left with:

Hive / Map / % Marine Win
          Flight Control / Summit / 46%
          Server Room / Tram / 48%
          Any / Mineshaft / 51%

Pretty boring map / hive rotation.

Personally, until everyone playing is close to the same skill level, the maps don't matter too much. Think of Lava Falls as having one extra skilled player on the alien team when balancing :)

There are some rediculous bad starting hives though, like data core.

Comment

I love the look and feel of the map, it is just a very unbalanced map IMHO.
            Lights Out!

Comment

There aren't enough official maps to start pulling them out of the rotation imho. Looks like a great opportunity for new strategies!
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                There aren't enough official maps to start pulling them out of the rotation imho. Looks like a great opportunity for new strategies!
                I do like your positive approach. Tried doing a rush we killed the hive, but they got another one up and a shift somewhere else.
                Lights Out!

Comment

I'm sure Lava Falls will receive some developer attention in the future. Or maybe some fan attention.

Just stick with it. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
                  Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    Winning is just a means to an end: enjoyment.

I enjoy the map.
                    Absolutely agree.

Refinery is actually my favourite map to comm. I've done it 3 times, 1 win 2 loss but they've always been a great game for marine and alien alike.

I use a bit of an unorthodox strategy and tell everyone to to go north and completely forgo transit. The result is a resource heavy game that goes into the late exo-onos game and it becomes a toss up as we fight heavily for containment. I usually spend the last 10 minutes of the game just dropping jet packs and guns for people to play with.

Also if you're bored, then you ought to try something unique. The first time I played this game as a marine, my comm went robo-5 macs first. We only lost because of a bile rush and our comm forgot to expand.

Comment

I've found Refinery to be a very balanced map, Marines can win easily without rushing as long as they continue pushing res nodes (as per any map). I find the first encounter with aliens being the most important (as per any map). If marines can keep smelting and pipeworks it's an easy win denying tech points to the aliens (as per any map). I agree its more alien centric (as per any map) but a well coordinated marine team with some decient aim will be able to turn this map as easily as per any map.

-Montyp
                      DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I guess it isn't the best for captains, but I see everyones point.
                          Lights Out!

Comment

As an alien I always feel like I'm on the run a lot on this map and like all others there's a crucial tipping point that could go either way. Rounds on this one feel hard-fought on both sides.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X