Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 16 is now a hard limit

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
    I definitely wouldn't mind seeing 18 players (especially if it was only at set times), since there isn't a massive difference in gameplay between that and 16 player games. 20 - 22+ is where I tend to feel the lack of individual player contribution towards the outcome of a match.

Last Saturday night, I would have strongly agreed with needing a second server, but throughout the week I've noticed the same as Shroud. Up until about 6 pm EST it's rare to have anyone on the server at all, much less constantly full SM rounds. During primetime we do have a generous dose of SMs, but not quite enough to be as annoying to regulars as it was on Saturday.
    The thing is we need to support the peak hours. When everyone is on everyone is on. It is hard to show how good the server is when all SMs are on, but we have no room for ?'s. Most places rent by the month, if it doesn't work out we can always kill it. When I am playing a quick glance of my friends list can add 3-5 more people during off peak hours. Friend more people in TG. Before NS2 I had only IRL friends on my list, when I started playing random people started to friend me. A good portion of those people are supporting members after I found this server, (I'll take credit for them :D ). If the server needs more people on, just send a message and they usually join. I have sucked Donat and Priceline into seeding the server countless times.
    Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
      The thing is we need to support the peak hours. When everyone is on everyone is on. It is hard to show how good the server is when all SMs are on, but we have no room for ?'s. Most places rent by the month, if it doesn't work out we can always kill it. When I am playing a quick glance of my friends list can add 3-5 more people during off peak hours. Friend more people in TG. Before NS2 I had only IRL friends on my list, when I started playing random people started to friend me. A good portion of those people are supporting members after I found this server, (I'll take credit for them :D ). If the server needs more people on, just send a message and they usually join. I have sucked Donat and Priceline into seeding the server countless times.

I have to admit, my most active playtime hours during the week are from about 5 pm to 8 ish EST. Around that time we very rarely have a full SM server. I hopped on later than usual last night though, and the server was full of members, with only about 3 slots open for strangers. If that's the regular situation later at night like I'm beginning to suspect, I think you make a good point. Seeing familiar names each night is fantastic, but I can see how only 2 or 3 stranger slots (which are unstable) would hurt the community's growth, especially long term.

Comment

We should follow the growth curve, until it levels off. The server has grown a lot since I started playing here, if we are bringing in $2 for every $1 spent, then it still makes sense.
        Lights Out!

Comment

so far I havn't had any trouble joining the server.
          I mostly play between 6-8pm, and have only been kicked twice since signing the primer.
          If I start getting kicked often I will probably do the suppoting membership again. I dont beleve we have near as many people playing here as there were during the peak times of NS1 Yet.

Comment

Only time I have not been able to join is Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaya View Post
              Only time I have not been able to join is Saturday night.
              Say for me as well pretty much all night

Comment

Last night when I joined the server, I was in the RR and watched someone get kicked for my slot. The odd thing is this left the teams at 8v8 with me still off a team. I rejoined the server in hopes it would sort itself and clear out another spot, It did, but while i was in RR another "?" was able to join. Marines were losing at the time so I gave them the extra player. As the round went on, the teams eventually got up to 9v9. There was an even mix of SM, primer signers, and ?'s in the server. I only had time for one game and didn't stay though the map change though I should have stayed to see if it sorted itself.

Comment

This limit to 16 slots (specifically the way NS2 is currently representing them) seems to be causing some contention for people.

I am going by events that occurred last night, so I'm not sure if this is a normal occurrence or not.
                  However, last night I hopped on a little later than I usually do, and the server was almost entirely composed of ?'s, with I believe 1 or 2 SM's and 1 other P.

At some point, one of the ?'s were complaining about the server displaying 23 slots but his friend couldn't join, saying the 16 slots full thing is .. well, some colorful words.
                  A bit of an argument started between the other players on the team, and I attempted to explain the reasoning behind having the 7 extra slots (as I understand it, anyway) but they wouldn't listen.
                  More surprising was the SM and P guy seemed to have a fairly condescending attitude toward most of the players, considering the main points of the Primer of this community.

Almost all of the ?'s were indeed rookies, or very new to the game, so they were having trouble playing effectively. I was on both sides, winning and losing last night; including a few rounds with a rookie commander who didn't know what an RT was. As I didn't have my mic on, I simply typed out tips to the comm, but mostly just stayed silent and observed. Besides the above confrontation, I didn't think calling people noobs or insulting their inability to play effectively was called for.

In either case, I just wanted to point out that as it currently stands, with NS2 unable to effectively show the user reserved slots, or hiding them from the server browser, people are having issues with being unable to join.
                  Whether this warrants a change or not is up to you guys, but I'm pointing out what I witnessed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X