Combat Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Mod

Has anyone else played this? I think it's a lot of fun and a deviation from the norm. If you haven't played it, the game boils down to the same mechanics as normal - destroy the enemies base. Some things in particular I've noticed about it:

Pros
    Very fast paced
    Seems like there is a high demand for this game mode - server always full
    Modified maps
    Fast spawn times
    Your success in terms of killing depends upon yourself, not what a commander can prioritize to you

Cons
    Fades become overpowered, especially when used in mass numbers
    Marines must be the aggressors and have to destroy the hive before the time runs out
    Time limit seems a bit too short, extend from 25 minutes to 30 or 35 (If I was the scoreboard leader for the marines, I barely get enough upgrades for what I want before 25 min runs out)

If we were to get another server, is this something we could look at?
    |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Re: Combat Mod

Combat doesn't meet any needs I have, but I'd consider anything that allows for TG gameplay and has enough demand.

We'd certainly transition into that mode only during off-peak hours, though, and I'm not sure how technically feasible it is to automate the switching of entire game modes.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't think that it would be too hard to do that, the real issue is that the mod has a long way to go before becoming mainstream.

The lack of a GUI buy menu is kind of a pain...

Comment

Combat has a GUI buy menu.

Marines:

Aliens:

Comment

Limiting combat to like, 6-7 levels, and one upgrade per chamber, two hives, etc. That I can get behind. Full fledged it gets boring and silly and spammy.

Comment

It is a mod and not NS2. Combat mode in NS1 had a lot more than just 10 levels. You could get added speed for marines that would really throw off aliens, nano armor that would weld it self, and even more powerful weapon levels.

Though it is very unpolished using partial versions of regular NS2 maps and a scenario where aliens pretty much always wins. I think even in NS1 it was a bit too partial to aliens as well. I guess the devs were didn't like humans, would that make them homophobic as xenophobic is scared of aliens?
            Lights Out!

Comment

I do not have fond memories of what CO did to NS1's community...
              Skud

Comment

I prefer NS to CO, though I think CO is a good practice for NS as you can be a little more risky in trying things out. When I do CO I don't get upgrades that would be mutually exclusive in NS2. Then again I seldomly play CO as I am mostly here.
                Lights Out!

Comment

Am I remembering correctly that in old TGNS, the server would run CO until it hit a certain population, then switch to NS at next change? I liked that functionality and it made it easier to seed the server.

Empty server is definitely not a problem we're having at the moment though.

Comment

I liked CO being a warm-up. Nice for chatting, practicing, hitting marks, and getting use to new mechanics.

Comment

It is a lot of fun for 30 minutes or so and a good way to practice lerk and fade. Priceline mentioned that a con is too many fades and I agree. One of the combat servers I played on limited the number of lerks, fades, onus, and exos one team could have and it was a big change for the better.

Comment

i prob would never play this CO.
                        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed