Just had the worst NS2 round ever.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had the worst NS2 round ever.

First of all, I don't mind losing. Somebody has to, right?

What I do mind is losing because someone on our team intentionally sabotages our chances. This was extremely frustrating because it wasn't some ? player, it was a primer signer.

In a nutshell, several people volunteered to Khamm, he took it, then, after out team failed to hold some res points and while we had two hives, he dropped out of the hive and neglected to tell anyone. Our team didn't notice until several minutes after clearing out a bunch of res nodes and noticing that we still didn't have harvesters on them. Someone asked him why he jumped out without telling anyone and he said it was because nobody was doing anything.

Now, I'm intentionally not naming this guy because he's usually a lot of fun to play with and I don't want people to start piling on him.

What I do want is for people to realize that our server is all about the teamwork. I wasn't upset at losing. I was upset because one person decided to ruin the round for our entire team. Instead of trying to get a concede vote to pass, he sabotaged our efforts so that there was no way we could make an awesome come-from-behind win happen. Don't worry about who it was, just make sure it's never you that does this to your team, please.

Thanks!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Just had the worst NS2 round ever.

That sounds very annoying and I thought loosing 8 times in a row was bad.
    Lights Out!

Comment

I can't say for sure, since I wasn't there, but everyone has bad days or frustrating games.

If the Khamm left because they were frustrated with the team, I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'intentional sabotage'.

I see two teamwork issues here:

1. The Khamm left without telling anyone. Not cool. Even if you are frustrated and give up, tell the team that, then jump out.

2. Not a single person on the team noticed for a long time. Not cool. You should be communicating with every team member, Khamm included. Also, they make it pretty easy to see if someone is in the chair.

Sounds like a definite teamwork fail, which by definition is the teams fault, not just one persons. Though I agree how frustrating how just one person can ruin a game, its up to the team to make sure that happens less and less.

Comment

I've noticed that if you aren't constantly talking as a Comm, thinks tend to go to the wayside. More communication as the leader makes things work better. If I don't hear the comm talking, I try to take over and put some people in important areas.
        |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

I just had a very similar experience and quite frankly I'm sick of it. I was alien commander. I had upgrades out the wazoo. I was sending drifters out left and right. I was giving my team EVERTHING THEY ASKED FOR. But every time I told the team to go do something, I got ignored. Marines attacking containment from heatsink? Lets go attack pipeline instead of attacking heatsink like the comm said. Comm wants us to clear marine res nodes? Lets all wait in smelting to ambush the marines there instead. Also, not attacking somewhere that the comm tells you to because there are marines there? WRONG. I KNOW there are marines there, thats WHY I WANT YOU ATTACKING IT.

Not ONCE did an order I gave get listened to, and then as the marines are rolling through our hives with exos and at least 8-9 arcs, I get ejected from the hive because I'm not dropping lerk eggs for people. Absolutely freaking unacceptable. I'm not going to play on our server for a while, which really upsets me. People have completely forgotten that we require certain things of our players, one of which is listening to the commander. This isnt a "lone wolf, play how you want" server. If thats what you're looking for, you're in the wrong place.

Comment

If it's bad enough to create a venting thread over, it's bad enough to send names to an admin over.

On their worst day, 90% of the regulars on our server (and reading this thread) aren't the target audience for these rants. They don't need to be told to be selfless. They already are.

The selfish regulars won't change because of this thread. They'll change because multiple regulars independently report them, admins private talk to them, and then they reform themselves.

Or the selfish players are quietly removed from our day-to-day experiences. Hopefully very quietly.

Here's the takeaway that applies to everyone here: when you're really not happy about someone, tell admins privately. Here's two reasons why you won't:

1) you're too lazy ("it's not that bigga deal" doesn't apply here)

Invest some time in the server you love.

2) you don't want to get them banned

You don't ban people. Admins do. We'll weigh your report against our own observations and the independent reports of other people. Action will follow the aggregate.

We regularly receive these reports, and we regularly act on them.
            Last edited by Wyzcrak; 02-25-2013, 01:11 AM.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This thread is open. See my last paragraph below.

Private feedback from my previous post has shown me that my talking specifically about or directly to Cing or Ferris was a reasonable inference for the reader. I'm a big fan of the "communication is what the listener does" posture, and so I am at fault.

I wasn't addressing or talking about any specific thread participant in my post, and I should have been explicit about that. My good history with Cing and Ferris made that so obvious in my head, but what's in my head doesn't always make it out.

My strong reaction wasn't to anyone, but to another in a storied history of frustrated public reactions to a (seemingly) specific event or person. I'm more a fan of tempered commentary after (and citing) aggregated observations, and I have a short fuse for written rants that seem to the reader as primarily inspired by a specific event or person (named or not).

In this and future threads, criticize specific behaviors and not specific people or events (named or not). If you can't leave specific people/events out of it (that is, if specific people/events must be cited to convey your point), you're likely in tell an admin privately territory, and I would very much appreciate your doing so.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks for reopening this Wyz.

I guess I also need to clarify that while I obviously was venting after a horrible experience, I really intended for this thread to serve as a reminder of the impact our actions have on the other members of this community that we've come to know and love (brotherly, not lustful or unconditional). I meant to criticize specific behaviors using an event as the context for discussion and didn't mean to discuss the event itself.

Despite intending to provide context (and, to be honest, to vent), I'm sorry if my words made it seem like my post was about a specific person, or intended to criticize only that event. I tried to write a cool-headed post that was of some benefit to this community and I apologize if I failed at that.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cingular & Wyz,

For what it's worth, I think both of your posts were well written and well received. Kudos to you both. I'm truly loving this community and the communication. All is well - and what isn't - will be fixed through perseverance and teamwork. See you all on the server(s).

~ Talie
                  "Anger is the wind which blows out the candle of the mind." ~ Unknown

"Boys do what they want to do while men do what they have to do." ~D. Smiddy

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X