Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March is International Women's Month

Any plans for TG to recognise this?

Given that women tend to be muted to protect themselves, I think TG's in a great position to do something about it. In most other games, women don't neat to reveal their identities to get most enjoyment out of the game. But NS2 and TG really benefit from microphone chat. I wouldn't be surprised if TG has a bunch of lurker females. This could be a neat opportunity to strengthen the community and inform the public of what we believe in.

Re: March is International Women's Month

I am intrigued on what you mean by "do something about it". 99% of people on TGNS use mic chat and they are all pretty much dudes (a few exceptions to be sure). We probably have some African American lurkers also but we didn't do anything spectacular for black history month. This is just one of those issues where you can't really force someone to reveal their identity no matter what month of the year it is.
    ~Psi~

Comment

I think putting special attention on it is only asking for issues.
      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Does TG somehow respect female community members differently than male ones right now? Has anyone who's invited back to continue playing here ever been out and out (or even provably subtly) misogynistic or racist? Why then, should an attempt be made to single out a specific group of gamers? Their personal hangups should be the only thing that applies here, I've never seen anything here that would suggest TG is somehow unfriendly to anyone who's willing to follow the primer, without any concern for gender or race.

This is the internet, we're all here for the same thing, it shouldn't matter who's behind the keyboard.

Comment

Everyone knows women do not play games!!!

:p

Joking aside I think they want to be treated as one of the guys, I don't want to be treated differently because I am Jewish, though it is annoying when someone mentions my religion in a negative way.

I think we do have 1 female SM that plays NS2, either that or a pre-pube boy. In any case that player is one of the few I fear playing against.

Though TBH I can't stand all the "month of blah". I don't respect people because of their race/religion/preference. I have tremendous respect for people who are able to overcome adversity, when facing enormous odds. Every group has their jerks. For the most part everyone else is more or less the same. We all have been bullies and have been bullied.
          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
            I think putting special attention on it is only asking for issues.
            I agree. Pointing it out makes it worse than just treating me like I'm any other player. I'm here to kill marines or aliens - not to worry about being a female. And TBH the TG community has been the least annoying and has really never treated me any different from a male player. I go to other servers and I get comments all the time "OMG ITS A GIRL" etc. I do appreciate the effort, but as far as putting any emphasis on it because it's Women's month is unnecessary.

Comment

The best way to recognize without alienating is probably just adding 'Happy Women's Month' or 'Happy Women's Month to all the female gamers' to the MOTD.

More attention, or worse, individual attention, should be avoided unless there exists a clear problem (which happily, I haven't seen here).

Oh wait, we don't have an MOTD. Well, maybe we should?

Comment

No need for special months if you live every day trying to be accepting. And I think TG is one of those communities.

Sad that the internet still has somewhat of a stigma. Until we transition from 'wild west' phase of internet openness to more accountability I don't think it'll go away any time soon.

Comment

So the other 11 months out of the years are Men's months?

Just curious

-Monty
                  DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

Dibs on September.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Why September? Nothing good happens in September.

-Start of school.
                      -Labor Day (where I guess you have to work or something and you can't wear white).
                      -It's not October, November or December, which all have really awesome (American) holidays.
                      -World Trade Center got blowed up and everyone is sad Sept. 11th.
                      ~Psi~

Comment

Originally posted by PsiRedEye22 View Post
                        Why September? Nothing good happens in September.

-Start of school.
                        -Labor Day (where I guess you have to work or something and you can't wear white).
                        -It's not October, November or December, which all have really awesome (American) holidays.
                        -World Trade Center got blowed up and everyone is sad Sept. 11th.
                        Obviously spoken by a person with no children.
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I'm sure some of us know some female gamers. We are quite a mature and teamwork oriented community. Maybe recruiting and trying to promote female players not only playing on our server but also foster use of their mics to communicate with team mates. We can really attract a niche subset of gamers and make them feel welcomed and at home here at TG. I know this isn't something that we can really force or count on but it's a nice goal and not a bad idea in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                            Obviously spoken by a person with no children.
                            My wife couldn't have kids, but the rest of my points still stand. No other month has more negative things. Maybe March, nothing good happens there either, plus lots of bees. I hate bees.
                            ~Psi~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X