Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portal join bug

Hey guys,

Just a little bit of feedback on this, as I ran into a humorous situation last night when I forgot about this feature.
    This was on tram, but I guess it could affect any map with a pit in the ready room.

I am usually the first person to load, so I hopped into the random pit, only to be told that I can't join yet.
    So, I wait a few seconds for this to expire, but I can't get out of the pit, nor F4 because I'm already in the ready room.. And hopping around doesn't seem to want to assign me to a team, so I eventually had to use the console to pick a team manually.

Not sure what can be done about this, but just a thought in case something like this can be worked around.

Re: portal join bug

Has this happened when the server is not full? That is, has this happened when the server is less than full?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Haha, guess you split my post into its own thread.
      I was thinking, wait a second, I never made a thread..

Anyway, I haven't tested this with the server being full and not full, as this little issue didn't seem to me like it was related to server population.
      I could give it a try at some point if I remember, but I tend to get kicked if the server becomes overly full, and I'm usually more focused on joining and playing the game.

My guess is that the random pits all have a jointeam trigger at some point during the descent into it, but because the "SM's join first" plugin is blocking this, we pass this trigger and fall to the bottom of the pit.
      If the "jointeam" trigger area isn't large enough to stretch all the way down to the bottom, then moving around and jumping up and down won't get you into the trigger zone again, and you are stuck. Attempting to F4 won't work because you are already in the readyroom. This is also why I didn't think server population had anything to do with it. Again, I stress that this is what I THINK is happening, but I have no idea how anything actually works.

As for oddities, this situation I can see happening on round start.
      However, I did join earlier on a game of mineshaft where I was the 16th person on the server (so, in effect, full.) Aliens were down one, so I was obviously going to be put on aliens.
      I decided to just run into the alien team "shaft" but for some reason I walked all the way to the bottom, and wasn't able to join the team. I walked back and forth, even back out of the shaft and back in, and it still wouldn't let me join. The game was already in progress, so I have no idea what that was about. It's the first time I've had that happen. Somehow, eventually I was able to join the team after sitting in the shaft for a while.

Whether these two are related, I have no idea.

Comment

See, my first thought was the "SMs join first" mod, too, as that's new (as is this bug).

Two observations downvote the "SMs join first" scapegoat theory:

1) it's happening also to SMs
        2) non-SMs are shown a "not yet" chat message when they're teamblocked by the "SMs join first" mod

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

My thanks to anyone who can give me more information about this as it happens, even if it's just frequency (so I can better prioritize how much time I put into troubleshooting and fixing it).

Comment

See this with tempadmin in RR. Hitting the invisible/noclip wall that triggers a join removes temp admin first, then if I do it again, I can join a team. The only problems are pits, this is most likely why they dont have an unescapable pit for rine/alien join team as autobalance would get you stuck. As random will put you on a random team or one with the least players you shouldn't see this issue, unless you are on one of our modded servers. As you drop below the invisible wall and you can't jump up to access it when you are in the pit, you are officially stuck unless you quit the server or join a team by console.

So the bug exists in two plugins:
            1) tempadmin in RR w/ a random pit
            2) SM join first, that will get non-SMs stuck when there is a random pit.

Guess you could say the mouse trap is capturing two different creatures.

I will need to confirm joining RR as temp admin, then run into marines once to remove tempadmin, then after it has been removed and I am still in the RR, I should jump into the pit and be able to join a team. This test will confirm my theory.
            Lights Out!

Comment

True or False:

When I suffer from this bug, a chat message appears (telling me something about joining teams or my inability to do so).

Comment

Quite a few new posts since I went to bed, lol.

I didn't know it was also happening to SM's.. but when you say SM's, does this mean people who have S> next to their name, or SM's who have temp admin, as solarity has eluded to?
                If the latter, perhaps the plugin is being too strict with searching for SM's specifically and ruling out anyone who may be an SM but has a different "tag."

I could help test if you want/need someone who isn't an SM, though you can probably get a bunch of those pretty easily.
                I will keep my eyes peeled next time I'm on TG and something odd happens, though.

As for the last question: True. At least for me. When I hopped into the random pit, it said SM's get to join first.

Comment

If I can just get a few confirmations that the "SMs get to join first" chat message appears every time this happens, that will help a lot, as that will narrow down my mod candidates.

Comment

It never happens to me when I have a "S>" next to my name, it only happens when I have a "T>". I do see a message when i try to join a team/random. It says something like this, "you are no longer a temp
                    Admin". After it says that I can join a team, unless I am in the pit at which point I just join through console or reconnect. Though this might be confusing for others. I would put more priority on the non-sm issue as temp admins are a lot more forgiving than a random pub.
                    Lights Out!

Comment

Well, I just tried it very quickly since the server is empty, but I guess it requires an SM to actually be on first, as random worked for me straight away.

solarity's report seems close to my earlier hypothesis though, but if you guys want to run a test right now, let me know.

Comment

Im at work :(
                        Lights Out!

Comment

The "you are no longer temp admin" message isn't (shouldn't be? we're dealing with a bug, so I know this can get confusing as an end user) what you'll see when you're being denied entry to a team (and, also off-topic, you'll see that message a lot less often in the current build of Temp Admin, as rights follow you from team to team, until you bump into an existing Temp Admin or full admin).

I want to know, when this happens to you as Temp Admin, if you see a message about "you can't join a team".
                          Last edited by Wyzcrak; 02-26-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                            The "you are no longer temp admin" message isn't (shouldn't be? we're dealing with a bug, so I know this can get confusing as an end user) what you'll see when you're being denied entry to a team (and, also off-topic, you'll see that message a lot less often in the current build of Temp Admin, as rights follow you from time to time, until you bump into an existing Temp Admin or full admin).

I want to know, when this happens to you as Temp Admin, if you see a message about "you can't join a team".
                            I am pretty sure I only see the msg about tmp admin. I will have to double check, though it only denies me when I am a tmp admin. I will also check the console when I test it later.
                            Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
                              I am pretty sure I only see the msg about tmp admin. I will have to double check
                              Reminder: I still want to know if you see a "you can't join a team" message when this happens to you as Temp Admin.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X