TGNS #2 online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS #2 online

TGNS #2 is online at tgns2.tacticalgamer.com!

Many thanks to Apophis for provisioning the second server. I'm very grateful to the admins for all of the behind-the-scenes work that's gotten us this far, including especially the lengthy discussion that's helped shape our two-server design. And of course a BIG thank you to the Supporting Members, and our other regulars, as their investments of time and money enable us to grow.

The two servers are clones. Future mod and config changes will apply to both servers.

A change to reserved slot logic comes as we introduce this second server. See next post for details.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: TGNS #2 online

Our two-server design gives SMs 24 "join anytime" slots instead of just 16. Each server now offers four "stay and play" slots to non-SMs: 2 for PrimerOnlys and 2 for Strangers. SMs can join these slots if they're empty, but they can't join them if they're occupied. To be clear, each server will now protect the last two PrimerOnlys and/or the last two Strangers from all incoming players, SMs included.

16 players remains a hard limit for both servers. Intermittent logic defects aside (please continue to report them), following is a breakdown of our new reserved slot logic (in play now; applies to both servers identically):

Strangers: cannot bump; are bumped by PrimerOnlys and SMs when Strangers count >2; are not bumped by PrimerOnlys or SMs when Strangers count <= 2
    PrimerOnlys: can bump Strangers when Strangers count >2; are bumped by SMs when PrimerOnlys count >2 and Strangers count <=2; are not bumped by SMs when PrimerOnlys count <=2
    SMs: can bump any non-SMs except last two Strangers -or- last two PrimerOnlys; never bumped once on the server

If there are already:
    3+ Strangers, then: all but last two Strangers are vulnerable to either PrimerOnlys or SMs
    3+ PrimerOnlys and <=2 Strangers, then: all but last two PrimerOnlys are vulnerable to SMs
    2 PrimerOnlys, 2 Strangers, then: max of 12 SMs can join
    1 PrimerOnly, 2 Strangers, then: max of 13 SMs can join
    0 PrimerOnlys, 0 Strangers, then: max of 16 SMs can join

This raises our "join anytime" SM slots by 50+%. It spreads our 4 "protected strangers" slots across the two servers (2 per server). And it creates four new "protected PrimerOnlys" slots (2 per server).

Each server will sometimes still fill entirely with SMs, when the SMs take those last slots in the absence of PrimerOnlys and/or Strangers.

We'll see the second server go away if we regularly, in our collective join decisions, fill one server mostly with SMs and PrimerOnlys while leaving the other server dominated by Strangers.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM. Reason: "3+ PrimerOnlys" to "3+ PrimerOnlys and <=2 Strangers" (implied before, now stated explicitly)

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

WOO! Time to seed the second server.

Comment

Yay congrats, I see that they are both full. Though I won't be able to play for a week as I will be out of town.
        Lights Out!

Comment

Wow, those new rules are slightly confusing, but it sounds like a good direction.

Comment

Basicly gives non-SMs a better experience on TG.
            Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
              PrimerOnlys: can bump Strangers
              I love that our non-paying regulars are able to contribute more to (and benefit from) our community now! I'm certain that they'll continue to represent the TG playstyle and that they'll actually end up attracting even more SMs to help TG continue to grow!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Now that Wyz, apophis and the admins went to the trouble of adding a 2nd server. It is now our JOB to seed and keep these server full. I remember months ago TG was empty till around 8pm, thanks to Donat and a couple others we started to get the servers populated at an earlier times.

It is important to note that we don't want to kill TG #1 by all having us go to #2. Take a look at the population of TG #1, if it is @ 16, just help seed #2 and vice versa. No sense kicking someone if we have an empty server. It might take a few minutes, though inviting a few fellow TG'ers and a few other people off your friends can help fill a server quick. I suggest waiting till you get about 10-12 players before starting a round as marines will usually get rolled.

That being said, I will be gone for about a week down in Texas.
                Lights Out!

Comment

I'm likely to join full servers, as I'm still troubleshooting mod behavior that's observable only at large player counts. So, I'm a poor leader for seeding in the meantime.

Do seed. People will either learn both servers are a safe bet, or they'll learn we're showing favorites and the second server will stagnate.

Comment

Excellent news! I have a few friends who want to try the community out and this gives them a great opportunity to do so. Thanks for rolling out the second server!
                    "Anger is the wind which blows out the candle of the mind." ~ Unknown

"Boys do what they want to do while men do what they have to do." ~D. Smiddy

Comment

I mentioned this last night, but I still can't seem to find the second server in the NS2 server browser.
                      Not sure if this has been looked into yet, but even with relaxed filter settings, it doesn't show up for me to bookmark.

Comment

I couldn't find it in the server browser either. Also out of curiosity I assume they are physical clones as well; meaning same data center and server specs?
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Wierd i have them both in my favorites. i will check again to see if they both populate together.
                          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

now only showing the one server
                            Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I just want to say that I'm really glad we got another server. Hopefully I'll be able to get my friends to play now.
                              |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...