Server performance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server performance?

So I joined a different server with Kalost (before I knew we had a 2nd server) and the performance seemed a bit smoother than our server. It was much easier to track fades and lerks. It also felt a bit less glitchy and they had over 20 people playing. I have also seen some odd things on our server, an Onos 10 ft away from me able to hit me w/ their horn even though I should be out of range.

Granted the bar is a bit lower on that server than on TG, though I am curious if Kalost noticed any difference as well? I remember the TG server being awesome compared to others in performance, though I am curious if we are monitoring any the resources on the servers, etc?

Lastly I am seeing "r/ns2's The Onos Rumble" as the server name when I use steam friends list to join a buddy, the ip says: 199.19.99.66:27015.
    Lights Out!

Re: Server performance?

I can't speak to the Steam server browser.

Our tickrate averages above 29. When it's lower, the symptoms will distribute to all slots.

I suspect the network.

Originally posted by bentring View Post
    Next time you play try running http://www.pingplotter.com/ so you can see a graph of the traceroute and tell where the spikes/lost packets etc are happening and when.

IIRC, I first heard about that program from Wyz years ago when there were similar issues on the TGNS 1 server and have used and recommended it ever since.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

With respect Wyz, this has come up quite a few times in the past week or so, amongst both SMs and strangers. You've cited our networks in the past as well, but this really does seem to be pretty widespread amongst both members and strangers. My performance is much smoother on the majority of servers with similar in game ping, with the exception of the "Darwin" server, which almost always has horrendous performance.

For the most part I've experienced the same issues as Solarity and nothing very severe (maybe three major rubberbands per session), so it's not exactly an emergency situation, but I certainly think it warrants closer inspection when you can find the time.

If others could chime in on whether I am way off base or not, that would be fantastic. I don't intend to speak for everyone- just relaying what my impression has been lately.

Comment

Having been irate in years past at bad game client/server performance, I'm content to review this stuff even if it isn't widespread.

But I need performance data to inspect, closer or otherwise. This problem resides in the client, the server, or the network in between. I'm content to rule out "client" for this "widespread" problem.

I've got data regarding the performance of server: my 29-30 tickrate, even in crazy 8v8 games. Honest question: is that all the server data I need? Can player clients be set to validate my claims about server tickrate?

I don't have data on everyone's network. The closer the network problem is to the server, the more players will feel it. Sooo, where's the network problem? That question requires each of us to use pingplotter and share results.

Can anyone tell me if server tickrate being so consistently high effectively rules out the server performance as the problem?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It feels like it has been happening for a couple of weeks, could it be from the CRC addon as they felt like both are from the same time.
          Lights Out!

Comment

Before determining cause, we've got to disambiguate your use of the pronoun "it". We've agreed on the effects of "it", but we don't know yet what "it" is, and so I don't know if "it" was caused by the CRC change.

That's why I want to know if my server tickrate data (as reported by the server) are 1) accurate and 2) sufficient evidence that the server is handling the load gracefully.

If (if!) we can agree that the server is handling its load gracefully, then we can look elsewhere for what "it" is. My suspicion at the moment is network (as opposed to client), but I need data.

Comment

NS2 server software is very crappy and un optimized it is possible after tomorrows update the engine improvements may considerably help the problem. I have noticed rubber banding or kinda of a sluggish feel at times.

We you running the server in Wine? Or on an actually windows machine?

Comment

Downloaded the program you/Bentring linked. Just say the word if there's anything else that can be done to troubleshoot.

The last game community I was in (which dissolved about 2 years ago) had admins that were much less active/swift about responses to these sort of threads, so I definitely appreciate your hard work!
                Last edited by Retraced; 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Wyz, how are you monitoring the tick rate of the server?
                  Straight from the console, or using the webadmin? The webadmin does not update fast enough to see quick drops.

As for the comment about clients validating your claims: Yes, it's possible, and I occasionally do it on any server I play on.
                  Any client can go into console and type in net_stats to bring up some information which includes server tickrate, and choke. The client rate will be roughly in line with your FPS (in my experience.)

I have noticed, anecdotally at least, in the recent week or so (I can't remember before that) that I have experienced some measure of lag or rubberbanding, or even players warping to a certain extent on the TG server.
                  I can maybe help with some data gathering if necessary, though it sounds like you guys are all on top of it already.

Main point was that anyone can simply type net_stats to start checking server tickrate at the very least.

Comment

I'm using the web admin to monitor the tickrate. I'd really like data for or against my claim that the tickrate stays above 29. That's key.

If that's validated, pingplotter data is my next request.

Comment

Scenarios - most likely issue

You are not rubberbanding, but one or two players are - its their connection to the server
                      You are rubberbanding - its your connection to the server
                      You are rubberbanding AND everyone you see is rubberbanding - its your connection to the server
                      You are rubberbanding, everyone else you see is rubberbanding, and everyone else is complaining that they are rubberbanding - its the server

Unless you and everyone you are playing against are rubberbanding AND other players are complaining about it, there isn't much that can be done server side. This has happened before and quick reboots have solved the issue. I have not seen it come up recently. I do notice servers with better performance but then I look at the scoreboard and realize its because everyone who is playing has a ping under 70. TG has players play with over 200 ping regularly.

Also, NS2 has some awesome profiling tools, where you can check live the # of ms each bit of the engine is taking (run 'profile' in console). That will help narrow down any issues.

Comment

Was playing with net_stats on last night and I never noticed the tick rate going anywhere near low enough to be an issue. There was one line that would dip quite low on occasion. I think it was data received or similar but I have no idea if that's an issue or not and a quick search yielded no results.
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X