Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add password when server hits 16 players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add password when server hits 16 players?

I know people have mentioned this before and it is used on some other servers w/ reserved sots. The big complaint was from people w/ shortcuts as a password would complicate it. As we have two servers, I think this negates that factor. IMHO I think to really support two servers you should go through a server listing like the in game one. I think booting ?'s off #1, while #2 is empty is bad. We can't grow our community if we are all filling up one server. When I logged in at around ~9pm tonight #2 was completely empty. Roland, Kalots, and a few other "friends" helped seed it. I would go further to say it is our duty as a community to make sure both are full. I understand if there are only a couple regulars on the only populated server. Though if the server is over a 1/3 full w/ SM's and the server itself is full, then help our community grow by getting other people interested in our server. I know we can't make everyone happy, though I think with the couple of slots held for ?'s and P's that we currently have, combined with a password when the slots is full, would kill all legitimate complaints about our server.

I left around 10:45 tonight and both servers were full. While Wyz, Kormendi, and company can do a great job giving us servers and addons, they can not be expected to that and keep both servers populated. That is our job, the TG community!

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Add password when server hits 16 players?

You're wanting an unknown password programmatically applied on the full server so that community members are compelled to join the empty one?

That won't happen.

If the community doesn't use the second server (a server dominated by strangers doesn't count), it'll go away.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Not exactly what I am saying. I want the pwd so noobs don't keep getting kicked as soon as they join. We could have the password known by regulars primers and sm's. Password is there to prevent people from joining and being kicked. I was saying the argruent for the use of shortcuts is no longer valid against the password idea as we have two servers and you should look before you join.
      Lights Out!

Comment

Ah. That is different.

So then four shortcuts. 1) check populations 2) choose appropriate shortcut

The need for the password will often change between the regular's check of the servers and their actual client handshake.

And so users of password-knowing shortcuts will often have friction.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If they are having to check the status of the server to know which to join, doesn't it make more sense to check first via game browser? I generally join by friends list, though as we have two servers now, I open the game and see if they are both full. As we had a lot of regs on in #1 I spent about 5-10 mins seeding. After you get a few people on it takes very little time to get a full server. I just explain to people that join to wait a few so we don't get an alien sided game. My paitence is typically rewarded.

I just can't see shortcuts being an advantage with two servers. I just worry people will join a mostly ful reg server kicking someone, while leaving the other one empty
          Lights Out!

Comment

Would it be possible (depending on server pop) where instead of just kicking the ?s or Ps from the server when sloted or attempting to connect that we could automaticly redirect them to the 2nd server? that way we could keep the population up for it, and people would beable to join TG at any time, even if they don't know the other server exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
              Would it be possible (depending on server pop) where instead of just kicking the ?s or Ps from the server when sloted or attempting to connect that we could automaticly redirect them to the 2nd server? that way we could keep the population up for it, and people would beable to join TG at any time, even if they don't know the other server exists.
              I actually made this suggestion in a different thread.
              Lights Out!

Comment

I'd like to preserve the no-friction option of checking the server population before launching the game and then using the appropriate shortcut, skipping the menuing and password prompt hassles.

Re: automated redirection: I like it b/c it helps player distribution. I'll think on it. The "you promised me a grown server and threw me into a growing one" annoyance is similar to the "you promised me a grown server and gave me nothing" annoyance. People don't like being "tricked", but they do like getting into servers and then having great games.

Comment

Isn't it more work to check the server and click the shortcut?

Also we could add logic to reduce tricking.
                  1) sm's can opt out of being redirected
                  2) redirect someone instead of kicking them.
                  3) redirect opting sm's after round/game if other server is not full

We need logic so it wont remove everyone at once
                  Lights Out!

Comment

The shortcuts take less time and fewer actions.

I'll definitely re-read (and maybe solicit more of) your ideas re: redirection logic if/when that happens.

Comment

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate here, but while I understand the premise and usefulness of automatically passwording a server when a certain threshold is reached in order to preserve the reserved slots, as well as prevent new players the frustration of thinking they're connecting, only to be kicked after waiting (sometimes extensively) for the consistency checks to finish, this, and the idea of re-routing players to the second server feels to me more like relegating the second server to a backup/rollover role, rather than a genuine second server for the community.

Part of the logic, from my standpoint, for doing this is that as an SM, you have a choice of either server. However, choosing to go to server #1 when it is full, and not feeling bad because the strangers get bumped to server #2 simply means that SM's generally don't want to play on server #2 for some reason. If this keeps occurring, server #2 would largely be populated by strangers that get bumped, or largely stay empty. If, on the other hand, server #2 is also popular and full, then there's less of an issue as the strangers would be kicked regardless. In order for a second server to be successful, the community must have no qualms about going to either server.

Basically, server #2 should not be used mostly for pushing strangers onto, but must be a server that SM's willingly go to when they see server #1 full (instead of opting to slot someone off there.)

That said, SM's do pay for the server, and in the end you guys can do anything you want, and I have seen the automatic passwording used on other servers simply so that the stranger gets immediate feedback that the remaining slots are reserved in some fashion. I just wanted to toss my two cents in from another viewpoint.

As an aside, Wyzcrak, I'm not sure if you are part of UWE's serveradmin Google group, but the team did pose a question a while back specifically on how to best handle reserved slot logic in the game natively, and there was quite a bit of input. I'm not sure how soon that will bear fruit, but clearly, UWE knows its system is lacking and are looking at improving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                        I'd like to preserve the no-friction option of checking the server population before launching the game and then using the appropriate shortcut, skipping the menuing and password prompt hassles.

Re: automated redirection: I like it b/c it helps player distribution. I'll think on it. The "you promised me a grown server and threw me into a growing one" annoyance is similar to the "you promised me a grown server and gave me nothing" annoyance. People don't like being "tricked", but they do like getting into servers and then having great games.
                        Honestly, I think most people would consider themselves "tricked" when they join a server with 7 empty slots and no password only to get kicked after the map loads. Would you consider running a poll for a week or two about the password option? Maybe even issue a SM join message to advertise it for the folks that don't frequent the forums often?
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Yes. I think that's a good idea. That may happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                            Honestly, I think most people would consider themselves "tricked" when they join a server with 7 empty slots and no password only to get kicked after the map loads. Would you consider running a poll for a week or two about the password option? Maybe even issue a SM join message to advertise it for the folks that don't frequent the forums often?

Gotta agree on that...or worse yet, joining with empty slots and being heavily invested in a very close game, 20 - 30 minutes in, and then be booted. :-(
                            Seems to happen a lot, and like you said, in the game browser a lot of times server #2 is either empty or also full, so game over either way...but for the times when it was empty some sort of server-balance mode would be cool. Not sure of the feasibility though...

Anyways my problem will be solved by donating...at least I hope it does! :-)

-NaV_CoM

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                              I like this, TBH I really don't care, though with as much activity I have on the server, and both forums I am just repeating what I am hearing from people. Also Roland brings up some good points, I wouldn't rejoin a server after being kicked a few times. I guess I was lucky and came in early to TG before there were too many SM's. It also takes some people a lot of time to load this game, so I can see how they can be upset when they join only to be kicked.
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X