More Limited Use of Autobalance Command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Limited Use of Autobalance Command

Is there a possibility that someone can at least issue a warning or a "Hey does everyone want autobalance on?" or something close before running the autobalance command? The last few times I've been on, the admins just at their whim autobalance everyone in the server. I like to choose my own team. Whether you think that is important or not isn't relevant, as it's a video game - I should be allowed to choose whatever team I want. Autobalance has a purpose, but the express consent of the server should be given before it is used.

What's your take on this?
    |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Re: More Limited Use of Autobalance Command

I think we (even myself) can use this a little to often. I try to wait a few to let people join a team before I run it as the above mentioned. My only concern is that once someone has joined the team it can effect the "balance" of the game. It would be nice if they could use magic to take in to account the players already on the team.
    Lights Out!

Comment

The balance algo does consider who's already on the team, so having folks already on the team is harmless. Obviously, if the team is significantly stacked before you issue the balance command, there's not much you can do.

I'm much more impressed when people ask "anyone wanna please switch?" before bitching "OMG MARINES AGAIN?"

SMs are allowed to join teams before anyone else. I prefer to wait until this team-opt-in time has passed before balancing teams.

Do you typically have time (that you're not using) to join the team you want? Do you typically ask the other team to switch with you? Those aren't rhetorical questions.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It is easier to stay on a team than to coordinate a switch. If it bugs me I'll join the team I want early. It is funny when you are put on the same team many times in a row and I see more comical Dilbertish remarks and not much "bitching". Please don't take it offensively if you do, people even complain about random always assining them to the same team as well.

As we can't really put emotion or really know each other It is hard to understand the true meanig behind a comment. I know I must come across as an arsh, though I am either joking 90% of the time or being completely serious the other. There is very few shades of grey with me.
        Lights Out!

Comment

Do you typically have time (that you're not using) to join the team you want?

I have plenty of time. But everyone is always discussing the last round and/or tactics for this map etc. etc. I like to be a part of those discussions in the lobby and so do a lot of the regulars, so I believe this as a "you had your time to join a team, Priceline, and you missed it" is kind of moot. I'd say that almost EVERY round ends with people talking in the lobby about game related stuff. As this was happening last night, the teams were AB'ed without warning.
          |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

I generally run it when people are not really talking and people have connected. Sometimes I wish the map wouldn't change so quickly. I also run it when people are trying to pile into one team.

This should be more about community than the "game".

I have seen where chatting w/ balance has led people into talking about last round, instead of focusing on the game.
            Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
              Do you typically have time (that you're not using) to join the team you want?

I have plenty of time. But everyone is always discussing the last round and/or tactics for this map etc. etc. I like to be a part of those discussions in the lobby and so do a lot of the regulars, so I believe this as a "you had your time to join a team, Priceline, and you missed it" is kind of moot. I'd say that almost EVERY round ends with people talking in the lobby about game related stuff. As this was happening last night, the teams were AB'ed without warning.
              This is a good point, The after game chat is something I generally enjoy taking a part in after a good game. Now I suppose there comes a time when the next game needs to get started, but when that time comes I think it would be nice if the person doing the auto balance asked if everyone is ready to play, and before initiating auto balance giving people some time to join a team if they want to.

Comment

I find, actually, that I do, very rarely, decide I misinterpreted the meaning of someone's comment on the server. Far more common is someone disavowing their hotheaded, selfish, and/or puerile offering. If I'm regularly having to distinguish between coming off as something and being that something, it's not that interesting which is "actually" true. I try, even when it hurts, to subscribe to the "communication is what the listener does" model.

I'll add a warning/headsup to the command's use, so that folks know to wrap up conversation. That should help. Beyond that, I don't see cause for mandating new restrictions on anyone's timing of the command.

I'll also show the name of the player who used the command, so that anyone may appeal personally with anyone they feel has an opportunity to better apply it.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X