Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we have mystery "admins", if we have T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we have mystery "admins", if we have T?

Every now and then I see an "A" show up that I have never seen or seldom seen in my 200+ of hours played on these servers. I know there is politics and not wanting to hurt peoples feelings, though what is the point of having them when a good portion of them join the server w/o knowing how to run the different commands or have a deeper understanding of the game? I understand the devs having an "A" or a couple very active people that his community trusts.

Should there be a required activity in either development or gaming? Could we only give people admin access if they do dev work and/or work on the server?

I know I might make some people upset by bringing this up, though that is not my intention.

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Why do we have mystery "admins", if we have T?

If you've got a problem with an admin's proficiency or awareness, this is not the place to discuss it.

If you're seeing a pattern of behavior with one person, contact someone about it privately (maybe the admin, maybe another admin, maybe me).

If you're seeing a pattern of behavior with many persons, contact someone about it privately (maybe me).

If you've just tonight had an isolated incident with one admin not knowing how to do something, please do contact me privately, and be sure to state that it was an isolated incident.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This is not just one person, I see many. Admins should be a person to go to for help with game and server. It can reflect on our servers. There is only one really active full time admin i see onlinr. Tmp admin is great, though I think calling out a pattern will hopefully make these people be more active in the game. If the server goes down it is nice to know that an admin knows it and is on top of it.

I am not addressing one person or one incident. This is a mature gaming community, I think we should be able to discuss things openly. If I really have an issue with someone, you woild be the first to know.

Though I would like you to answer the question, why have A if they are not really going to be active? I completely understand if people have a family issue, vacation, or health issue.

Again I am not calling anyone out or trying to piss anyone off. I know I can be critical, though I do also give many people a lot of positive feedback as well.
      Lights Out!

Comment

I've never understood that if we have a problem with a group of players, that we should plug it into the contact an admin thread. Isn't it a little bit more conducive to discussion to bring a matter like this, but not all admin matters into a community discussion? I've had some good suggestions go by the wayside because it was kept in the CAA thread and no one else was able to comment on it besides me and admins. A bit backward of the TG way if you ask me.
        |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
          I've never understood that if we have a problem with a group of players, that we should plug it into the contact an admin thread. Isn't it a little bit more conducive to discussion to bring a matter like this, but not all admin matters into a community discussion? I've had some good suggestions go by the wayside because it was kept in the CAA thread and no one else was able to comment on it besides me and admins. A bit backward of the TG way if you ask me.
          Vague complaints about specific unnamed admins will benefit from public discussion? As far as I can tell the complaint is that some Admins don't 'play enough'.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            Vague complaints about specific unnamed admins will benefit from public discussion? As far as I can tell the complaint is that some Admins don't 'play enough'.
            In a way that is my biggest grievence, though being admin seems like a moot point that we have tmp admin. Only 1 admin is in the top 20 of people by total time played on our most popular server. I think people who can do something on the server if it goes down or devs make sense for having active admins. Though as I only see one very active admin, if he goes on vacation or god forbid has a life outside of NS2, then if the server goes down it might leave a few of us hanging. In addition the lack of activity makes me question if they can resolve such an issue if one occurs.

If Admin is more of a grandfather/cermonial positon for people who served the NS2 community, then I can understand that more. Though NS2 is a different game than NS1. Though right now I question the logic of having admins if they are not active in dev or game play.

I think we should hesitate trying to censor a question that targets an overall problem with admins. We are discussing this in a mature fashion and like some of my other threads, if others agree then we should look into it, if most appose then I will take it as the majority have spoken.

We shouldn't take legitiment criticism as winy/bitchy as some people do hesitate to post as they don't want to get railed on via the forum. Me on the other hand I have no issue making an arsh out of myself. Some my ideas are bad, though I think most have merit.
            Lights Out!

Comment

The level of scrutiny to which these sorts of conversations are held doesn't lend itself to public dialog in a medium as slow and unmoderated as this one. Invariably, with large crowds, incendiary interjections litter the dialog landscape. We who are running this show don't have the time or energy to address every issue publicly. If "out in the open" is the best place for these conversations among selfless participants in otherwise ideal conditions, these are not ideal conditions, and we all generally are largely selfish participants. People will contribute subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) inaccurate or misleading claims as accurate, and those of us running this place have very little time or patience for that.

sol, you said earlier (in another thread) that you took heat from people on the server for asking that people correct team imbalance, when in fact (I was there) you took heat for the lack of maturity you showed in requesting it. Twenty exclamation points in a chat message isn't justified, and it distracts from your point, however unheard. And so, there was an opportunity to carry yourself differently, such that team balance is requested without you taking any flack for it.

And snooggums' "vague" comment is thoroughly appropriate. Wrong and vague, when left unchecked, are a tragic combination for public discourse. And yet that's typical in "open" conversations like this.

sol, it's a stretch to sell yourself as "commonly acting like an ass" (talk is cheap -- are you selling that with actions as much as words?) with whom their "isn't much grey" while simultaneously being asked to be considered as a balanced voice at the table.

sol, if there's merit to your complaint, I'm sure its target audience has found it by now. For reasons that escape me, I'll leave this thread open for now.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Something else I meant to mention. Admins offer behind-the-scenes guidance that complements their out-front offerings. For me to pick you as an admin is first a show of trust and second a show of "I need someone to regularly issue a changemap or kick command".

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  The level of scrutiny to which these sorts of conversations are held doesn't lend itself to public dialog in a medium as slow and unmoderated as this one. Invariably, with large crowds, incendiary interjections litter the dialog landscape. We who are running this show don't have the time or energy to address every issue publicly. If "out in the open" is the best place for these conversations among selfless participants in otherwise ideal conditions, these are not ideal conditions, and we all generally are largely selfish participants. People will contribute subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) inaccurate or misleading claims as accurate, and those of us running this place have very little time or patience for that.

sol, you said earlier (in another thread) that you took heat from people on the server for asking that people correct team imbalance, when in fact (I was there) you took heat for the lack of maturity you showed in requesting it. Twenty exclamation points in a chat message isn't justified, and it distracts from your point, however unheard. And so, there was an opportunity to carry yourself differently, such that team balance is requested without you taking any flack for it.

And snooggums' "vague" comment is thoroughly appropriate. Wrong and vague, when left unchecked, are a tragic combination for public discourse. And yet that's typical in "open" conversations like this.

sol, it's a stretch to sell yourself as "commonly acting like an ass" (talk is cheap -- are you selling that with actions as much as words?) with whom their "isn't much grey" while simultaneously being asked to be considered as a balanced voice at the table.

sol, if there's merit to your complaint, I'm sure its target audience has found it by now. For reasons that escape me, I'll leave this thread open for now.
                  If I had your multitasking ability to do more than one than one thing at a time. Hence why I can't comm. Granted it was a few !, but it couldn't of been 20. The message wasn't rude, maybe annoying, though it got the point across and VS changes teams quickly. Instead of the 5min 2 man down from before. It is also difficult to hold a stratigic location being attacked by multiple skulks and type with as much forsight as in this forum.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

"It got my point across, didn't it?" is not a defense for this:

Code:
                    Chat All - Solarity: sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                    That's rude.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                      "It got my point across, didn't it?" is not a defense for this:

Code:
                      Chat All - Solarity: sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                      That's rude.
                      What did the line before say?
                      Lights Out!

Comment

It sounds like the major complaint is about having admins that don't play, and therefore don't understand the game and its commands.
                        However, I have to ask if there has been many instances where admin action was necessary and none were available? I'm genuinely interested, because for the Ars server, I was essentially the only active admin; the other 2 did not play the game more than once. Even then, I monitored the server constantly via web admin, and the only action I ever had to take as admin was kicking AFK players. Generally, everyone behaved themselves regardless of whether I was in the game or not. Even this was made redundant once I installed the DAK mod to take care of AFK's and mapvotes and voterandom.

With temp admins, I think they do most of the work that needs to be done, and personally, I haven't found many instances where we actually needed an admin (outside of the other night's hilarious attempt at invoking Captain's mode, which should be another topic.)

I DO understand the worry about having a single active admin as a single point of contact for the server, though.
                        Back with Ars, while I was the only active admin, I did not have access to the box, and so each time an update came out, or there was a problem on the server that needed a full server restart, I would have to leave a message and it could take up to a day before any action was taken, even if I asked for a resolution within seconds or minutes of a problem being discovered, or an update coming out despite a notification hours earlier.
                        However, Wyz seems to be completely on top of everything thus far, and is quick to act, so I don't think there's much of an issue there either.

Comment

We're up to ten posts and four participants in this thread, and it's already spiraling. Where will we be when we have 10 participants and 40 posts, with everyone weighing in with his opinion on the matters (plural topics by that point, if not already)?

Save the kind of exceptions around which you don't form policy, these posts fall down when public. Design by committee doesn't scale when it comes to shaping the behavior of people.

There's ample precedent for admins resolving complaints that players shared privately, and similar precedent for TG leadership solving GameOfficer/etc complaints shared privately with them. And there is MORE THAN ENOUGH examples of ineffective public drama along the way. Pretty self-serving claim for me, as an admin, to make -- but it's true. My "opinion" is formed from observations over a decade and 15K+ posts on BOTH sides of this and other communities, online and not.

Comment

At least fight fair, when you call me out, then try to change topic. Give me a chance to defend myself as that comment was taken out of context and was referring to the situation of "teams 7 vs 9" line_return "Sucks!!!...etc". It was not targeted to anyone, though would you like to play 7v9 as marine?

The cynical posts have no value add and only disuade people from commenting on this. I shouldn't have posted this as I should have known people would get offended by asking the question. For that I am sorry, though I have lost respect for the openess to discuss topics that might label me as a dissident.

Feel free to remove this thread.

Lastly officers and admins are completely different in my book. If they do more behind the scenes so be it.
                            Lights Out!

Comment

I wouldn't say 'mystery' as 'legacy'. Their just people you haven't met yet!

Gotta remember that TG is a HUUUGE community, not just NS2. Admins from various other respects visit the server because the same way you get S on any server as you pay for it, their trusted to uphold the values of the TG Community.

Sure, you may not always love what they do, or skill wise. But TG is in a open rookie community right now, so there is a tad expectation that people won't be perfect or want to pratice commanding.

That is one thing I always wonder if it is exclusive to the TG community or not, that we tend to be rather section centric.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X