No announcement yet.

swiftly and politely remove unresponsive players

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swiftly and politely remove unresponsive players

AFK is not "unresponsive". AFK is AFK. But, if a player is playing and moving and not responding, they need to leave. Communication is a core tenet of our server. Microphones are not required, but hearing them and reading chat -- and responding to both when appropriate -- is.

If a player is unresponsive, I immediately TYPE to them (typically on team chat) that hearing voicecomm is required.

"Wyzcrak, make sure you hear voicecomm, as we require that here."

I don't ask them via chat for a response, as a chat response doesn't tell me they can hear voicecomm. I want them to show they can hear voicecomm, not merely claim to.

So, I then speak, via voicecomm, something very casual like:

"Hey Wyzcrak, can you hear us OK?"
    "Hey Wyzcrak, you with us?"
    "Hey Wyzcrak, can you hear voicecomm alright?"

Most players respond, and I go out of my way to welcome them to the server. I don't mention rules at all.

Only after I get no response to the very casual do I mention rules or the possibility that they'll be removed, with two or three attempts similar to the following, over roughly 30 seconds:

"Wyz, let us know you're here, man, so we can keep you on the server."
    "Wyzcrak, can you hear us, man? We need to know you're with us if you're going to stay."
    "Last call for Wyzcrak." (in a tone that suggests I'm rooting for his responding and staying)

If there's no response, I remove them. I sometimes then notify the team, so everyone knows he's gone, and so that the strangers understand the uniqueness with which we enforce that core rule of ours.

I'm very patient with skill level. All are welcome.

I'm not patient with communication. I treat you politely until I prove you're not responding, and then I plainly remove you.

Temp Admins are welcome to take this posture. Be polite, don't threaten, and enforce swiftly.

AFK is not "unresponsive". If a player is playing and moving and not responding, you needn't wait a duration similar to the AFK timer before removing that player.

I typically go from "unresponsive discovery" to "removed from server" (or new, responsive guest... yay!) in less than one minute.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed