Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modded Server Status - Yey, or Ney.

Hey,

I know that for the first while we had wanted to maintain a non-modded server status, to ensure that new players could find their way to us. However, now that Natural Selection is rather established, and people are still viying to get into the servers even whilst full is it possible we can start itterating over to a more client modded side?

For example, a visual interface for captains mode, admin mods, ect.

Postulates:

1. People who come to our server already know its modded with the question marks and what not and admin mod.
    2. The functionatily of having such would greatly outweight the slight ammount of people who would avoid a 'modded' server.
    3. Easier control and visual ques to the servers mods such as the WinOrLose mod, and ect.

Perhaps we could try out one server with these changes, and one without, to see how it would affect the playerbase / people joining?

Re: Modded Server Status - Yey, or Ney.

I don't follow. What pain are you experiencing? Why the driver for change?

I ask these questions because I rather anticipate they have good answers, and because articulating this helps measure the worth of change.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well its not to say that the mods arn't good that are currently ON the servers. Its just that they can... At times, be difficult to manipulate.

Example:

I wandered in to the server one night where people were planning on doing captains... they were attempting to figure out the commands, which we were able to enact for them. However, with a more visual interface it may have been a tad easier.

Perhaps its just a hold-over but i VASTLY prefered the Half-life engines visual methodology to menus.

If possible it would also make it easier to kick people as you can actually have a list on screen to select from.

Also with being able to display pictures/text it would greatly improve the current look of the mods.

I would think that it would make it also easier (though I wouldn't necessarily know from not coding) to get around things.

Also: We could get some custom maps on the server, like Jambi to help spice up the map rotation... Though I don't know if that makes the server ' custom ' or not.

Comment

IMO, I don't think purely server related admin mods are enough to warrant a custom server status:

Unmodded:
        1) Some custom admin mods, like our balance mod doesn't really affect game play, beyond usually producing significantly higher quality games.
        2) Map voting mods so players can choose which map is next. Not sure what Jambi is, but sounds interesting.
        3) Reserved slot system, and related temp admin powers. Doesn't really affect game play beyond joining a team a little bit sooner.
        4) Consistency checks, although there should really be a separate filter for this as well so people can have their gorges glow pink and heal with hearts.

^ Better looking menus to aid in administration of server is a plus, but not game breaking. Some of the admin mods out there now can be annoying with the text spam.

Modded:
        1) GODLIKE!!!!111 playing when someone is on a killing streak.
        2) Combat 24\7 or siege, NS2 has siege maps now right?
        3) Custom maps make up a significant portion of the servers rotation
        4) Wacky mods that alter gameplay. Lerk lift, night vision, etc...

I never felt that the "unmodded" or "modded" server status in NS2 works very well. Most servers are "modded" to some extent, but the difference is by type and degree. UWE just needs to add a "vanilla" option so anybody joining knows the only mods on that server are ones built into the game itself. That being said, the servers are usually packed every night now under its current status, why risk changing that?
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

It would definitely be fantastic to see maps like Jambi on our servers, even if only on certain nights/times if that's possible. That alone would be worth the server turning yellow for me.

All of the mods aeroripper mentioned could certainly hit the numbers a bit, likely because of the somewhat limited server browser. If I had the ability to blacklist modded servers that I knew had some particularly annoying features running, I wouldn't be so hesitant to double click on a yellow server on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
            the servers are usually packed every night now under its current status, why risk changing that?
            "So that things are prettier and easier" is the best we've done so far, I think.

That's not enough for me to put lipstick on the pig that we've modded so far, but I might be compelled by (and I'd certainly answer any questions from the developer of) a very high-quality client mod made specifically for our server.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I am interested in the maps. Can't someone tell me how to put maps on the server such that the server appears modded only while that map is active/inplay?

Comment

Please no "quake sounds" That is so annoying, maps would be ok but I dislike mods that change the game play. (Unless its like once every other weekend then its ok)

As per maps, Only put new maps on the server if NS2 has a fast url for game downloading like in unreal and source engines, I don't know that it does or doesn't but I am not going to take the time to download the map out of the game.

Comment

I would like it if it announces to the server who's on a killing spree. KILLTACULAR. M-M-M-MONSTERKILL.
                  |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                    I would like it if it announces to the server who's on a killing spree. KILLTACULAR. M-M-M-MONSTERKILL.
                    Absolutly not! i hope your joking
                    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I'm conflicted, personally.

Having the server flagged as modded does definitely impact the number of people joining the server. (The yellow "modded" status overrides the green "rookie friendly" status when the server is displayed, though the "Rookie Friendly" text still displays.)
                      On the other hand, TG does have a lot more regulars who will play on the server regardless of modded status. The only problem here is that it may hurt the growth of that playerbase by having part of the population not see the server, or avoid any modded servers.

Regarding the Quake sounds, as far as I know, unless someone made a mod strictly to add sounds for this stuff, every server I've been on containing this "feature" is due to it running NS2Stats, which I don't believe TG will ever run. On top of flagging the server as modded, NS2Stats contains a parameter to enable these sounds, but can very easily be disabled by editing the config file to contain: "killstreaksEnabled": false, which disables the sounds.

As for the custom maps, to my knowledge it is currently not possible to add a custom map to the server and not have it flagged as modded, at least not with the implementation that I am aware of.
                      (Granted, my knowledge is about a month old, since that is when Ars shut down its server.)
                      Because not every client will have the maps you're loading onto the server, the server needs some way of directing the clients connecting to download it from the workshop.
                      In adding the custom map, IIRC, it involves added the map to the mapcycle.json file, and additionally you have to specify that map's modID next to it.
                      This is partly the reason why almost no servers have any custom maps, and they all run the stock rotation.

It's a horrible implementation by UWE, and we've been trying to get them to change the way it flags servers as modded, but so far nothing has changed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X