Tuesday night: get help setting up a TGNS development environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday night: get help setting up a TGNS development environment

On Tuesday, April 23, from 7:30 to 10:30 PM Central, I'm going to talk to anyone who wants to stand up a Lua development environment for TGNS (and, therefore, NS2 -- my main focus is TGNS dev).

I'll give a tour of our public git code repository and share my limited knowledge of GitHub, so that you can make "pull requests" and collaborate with other developers who are contributing to the codebase.

Generally, the point of our time together is to make you comfortable with developing mods for our servers (and, maybe one day, for our clients?). Keep in mind that nothing goes on our servers without admin approval, so you definitely want to share your ideas before working on them too much (to avoid wasting your time).

I don't plan on teaching Lua, or the NS2 SDK, but I will show some of the TGNS-specific code offerings that make life easier when you're writing Lua for our codebase specifically.

If you hope to join us on Tuesday night, please say as much here, so that I can gauge interest. Many thanks.

We'll meet on TeamSpeak (in our Natural Selection 2 channel), and we'll use TeamViewer to share screens.

TeamSpeak 3 - Server Information

TeamViewer

EDIT: I can walk folks through the process of downloading and installing the NS2 server files, also, of course. I really am happy to take anyone/everyone from I-have-nothing to I'm-able-to-submit-code-for-TGNS-consideration.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Tuesday night: get help setting up a TGNS development environment

Can you give or direct folks to a primer on setting up a dev environment? Walking through the language and the SDK might be beyond the starting level, but setting the table would be swell.

**EDIT**: reading through the post again, the first line makes it seem like this is planned, but the walkthrough of GitHub without teaching Lua or the SDK got me confused. My question still stands, but hopefully with this edit seems less stupid. :)
    Last edited by Pokerface; 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM. Reason: clarification for potential stupidity
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Hi Wyzcrak,

I looked over some of the code in Github this evening and it's fine to understand as most of the functions are pretty simple from what I've seen so far. Also the syntax is familiar and similar to .NET so easy to pick-up what is going on. That said, understanding exactly how it all fits together could take me some time. I'll try and make it but I have a 2yr old so she runs my schedule now...so if she graciously allows me to pull away during that time I'll hop in! I do understand the intention is not to go through the code but to get us familiar with github. I'm interested for sure as I always like new challenges...I saw in some of the commented code there is still work left to do, so might not need any "new" ideas to get started helping. :-)

FYI your Teamviewer link is broken, you linked "Teamviewer/" which DNS dowsn't understand. I guess the DNS needs the full link in this case: http://www.teamviewer.com/

-Derek

Comment

I fixed the TeamViewer link in my first post. Thank you.

Regarding "work left to do": yes! There is definitely some low-hanging fruit for someone wanting to start out.

Poker, to your question:

My DEV environment is a simple text editor (to edit files) and Command Shell's "findstr" command (to search files). That's very primitive, but it works for me (so far). UWE offers the Decoda IDE, which bundles source files into a "project", so that you can use the IDE to search files (instead of the Windows commandline, as I do).

In the server filesystem, the files you edit to mod the server are under the ns2/lua directory. Our server relies on the DAK Admin Kit (it has invented wheels we don't want to), and its files are also under that same directory (well, in subdirectories under that directory).

I'm not certain what to explain here, but I'm happy to answer additional pointed questions between now and Tue, even if it's stuff we'll repeat then.

I'll definitely be very receptive to repeating myself for whomever needs it Tue night. I want to move at the learners' pace(s).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Added to first post:

EDIT: I can walk folks through the process of downloading and installing the NS2 server files, also, of course. I really am happy to take anyone/everyone from I-have-nothing to I'm-able-to-submit-code-for-TGNS-consideration.

Comment

I'm hoping to be on shortly after 8pm, with the local server set up and ready to go.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'll be there!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X