captains games require registration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captains games require registration?

Presently, we place the password 'captains' on the server during captains games.

Should this be changed to only allow forum-registered players during captains games? That is, should we remove the password and instead barr unregistered players from joining during these games?

Or.... do we remove the password, allow unregistered players to join, but allow registered players to, in reserved slots fashion, kick unregistered players to join the full server during captains games only?

Frankly, *I* haven't thought these ideas though, so no guarantees on anything changing at all, but.....

brainstorm, please. :)

The goal is to keep the server full during captains games without compromising the best of what we all look forward to in captains games.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: captains games require registration?

I think it should be open to all, and update the reserved slot kicker to check for unvouchered players first, and then for unregistered players, and so on. Allowing all types to participate in captains games is good because seeing a captains game in action is an excellent way to get new players interested in the server.

Comment

I like the idea blocking unregistered players from captains games and removing the password. Can you make a popup say something like the following when an unregistered player attempts to join the server?

"Captain game in progress. Please register your steam ID on the forums for access."

edit: allow those who are unregisted to stay for the start of a captain game, but are vulnerable to being kicked by joining registered players
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

I can make the kick popup say whatever. There is a length restriction, but I've put messages as long as 60 characters in there before.

I have serious reservations about extending to anyone OTHER than SMs the privilege of joining a full server. I like the idea of bringing in people we know for captains games, but doesn't this make people less inclined to help pay the bills around here?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

"Sign up on tacticalgamer.com forums to play during captains games"

65 characters...would that work?

Edit--under the current system, anyone who's already on the server when it changes to captains isn't affected, and only new joiners need to know the password, right? I like the way that works. Is there a way to work the plugin to keep that functionality? So for example, the server changes to captains, all current unregistered players stay on, but no new ones can join? And then they'd get the kick message telling them to register on the forums.

That way you know you're not going to suddenly lose those extra people you were counting on when you switch the server to captains mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
            the server changes to captains, all current unregistered players stay on, but no new ones can join... they'd get the kick message telling them to register on the forums.
            I can do that. Is this what we want? A compromise between excluding and including unregistered players?

Originally posted by Kerostatis
            "Sign up on tacticalgamer.com forums to play during captains games"

65 characters...would that work?
            The problem is that people don't know to register their SteamID. How do we get them to our forums AND tell them to register their SteamIDs.... all within ~65 characters?

Comment

Hm...how about--"Captains game--see tacticalgamer.com forums for details"
              55 characters, and that MIGHT be enough to get them to check the thread labeled "Captains games". You can then explain in the captains thread that they'll need to register their Steam ID, and link to the register thread.

Now most people aren't going to bother no matter how we word it--but they can still join during non-captains games just like they always could, and the people who really care will be able to find the way in with this message.

Comment

I think getting unregistered players in a captains game is the best way to get new people to join. This is the one thing that pulled me into playing on the server. So I vote for finding some way of letting unregistered players into a captains game. So if you want new people on the server then I suggest allowing unregistered players to play in a captains game. You can always kick them if they act up.

Comment

All other viewpoints aside, unless there is a capable way of displaying that there is a captains game in progress between loading NS and joining a team, I feel that the password serves a purpose in letting people know that randomly joining a team may disrupt the balance and strategies composed when the teams were assembled. I personaly don't mind the password because it helps to preserve that "chosen team chemistry" that captains games were envisioned for. Thats just one facet of it, but that's all I feel like saying at the moment.
                  Last edited by OP8; 08-31-2005, 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling error
                  _________
                  <OP8-322>
                  %#^^^#%

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse