Lets put Chuckle to Good use!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets put Chuckle to Good use!

I know we complained to get a second server because we were completely full night after night on just one. It stopped new people from joining in on the TG goodness, even supporting members were having problems joining in! Now it seems that Chuckle is getting a bit dusty,

I propose that we make chuckle into a LastStand server, We would need to tweak the max player and reserved slot ratios as last stand requires a much higher player count than 8v8. Its a great map type and an amazing break from the regular game. I would love to see how this changes our server count. I think it will bring a different type of player and definitely give TG more exposure.

I would be interest in trying this out for a week or two, just to see how this can better our community.

Love to know what you think about this.

-Montyp
    DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Re: Lets put Chuckle to Good use!

Well put, would not be opposed to trying this out for a week, to see what people it would bring.

Comment

I'd expect someone (or multiple people) to know enough about the gameplay mode, having played it elsewhere, to be able to expound on how our community could make it (Last Stand) a good match for Tactical Gamer.

Putting it on our server needn't be a prerequisite to our evaluating it for inclusion in the niche gameplay style(s) of our TG community, I would think.

Also, can someone tell me what's required, technically, to bring this to the server?
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

As marines, your team must survive for 2.5 minutes. If you die, you are out until the round is over. If at least 1 Marine is left standing, marines win.

As aliens, your goal is to eliminate all marines. You respawn infinitely and can choose from three lifeform variants each spawn. As the round progresses, you will have access to more powerful variants.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=139435770

IMO the only way marines or aliens can win is by working together. Alot of the servers tend to be a free for all, but I think with the incorporation of teamwork I think that the last stand could end up being an amazing thing, skulks swarming from all angles all together. Marines setting up structured defenses, repairing and defending the stationary exo's and focusing on saving one another.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM5cp...layer_embedded Unkownworlds video for anyone not familiar to last stand

Comment

Our NS1 servers played the CO (Combat) mode until enough players were present for NS, at which point it switched playmodes.

Is such a thing feasible with NS2's server? Is it possible to change playmodes programatically? Perhaps between map changes?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think this is a good idea. Would rather see this than having an empty secondary server most of the time. This would probably draw more players to try our normal NS2 server as well.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Our NS1 servers played the CO (Combat) mode until enough players were present for NS, at which point it switched playmodes.

Is such a thing feasible with NS2's server? Is it possible to change playmodes programatically? Perhaps between map changes?
                I might be wrong, but unless you can code something to detect player counts and dynamically switch out the mapcycle.json file, I don't believe this is possible currently.
                The server cycles maps according to the mapcycle.json file in either ordered mode or random mode.

As far as I'm aware though, you can mix game modes such as last stand and combat into the mapcycle.json file and attach the modid of the appropriate mod alongside the map, which would cause those mods to be loaded whenever that map is selected. However, there wouldn't be any automated method of overriding this (for example, there's currently no way to force the server to only play ns2_veil and ns2_tram at low player counts, then go to ns2_descent once the server is full.)

If you wish to go this route, the best compromise I can think of using currently available technology is to add those maps into the mapcycle.json file along with their respective mods, then enable DAK's mapvote plugin to allow players on the server to decide when they should go to combat/last stand, or when it's time to go to an ns2 map. However, even with this, I don't believe there is any way to force the mod (unless you modify its selection logic) to provide a specific list of maps (meaning, guarantee at least one combat, one last stand, and one normal ns2 map appears on the list to be voted on, for example.)

I could probably give this a test, but since we lost our Ars community server, I've been too lazy to build a local dedicated server to run tests on, haha.

Comment

If I put the LS mod and maps on the server, but not in the rotation (mapcycle), will the server load the LS mod when someone manually changes to a LS map?

Comment

That would be fun, if we could have temp admins or admins change the map type by request.

Comment

I haven't ever tried this, but I don't *think* so.

The problem is that in order to play last stand, you need two things: The LS map, alongside the LS mod itself.
                      If you simply change over via sv_changemap to the last stand map, there's no way for the admin issuing the command to tell the game to additionally load up the last stand mod.

Edit:
                      One workaround using the mapvote plugin I suggested above is to take advantage of the fact that there aren't many maps to begin with.
                      It's not elegant, but it's possible to set the mapvote plugin to grab as many maps as the server has available, and disable the no-repeat functionality. This would in effect force the mapvote plugin to list every single map available on the server every round.

Basically, if the server has the 7 stock maps, plus the 2 last stand maps, plus jambi, that'll be 10 maps.
                      "MapVote": {
                      "kMapsToSelect": 10,
                      "kDontRepeatFor": 0,
                      "kMaximumExtends": 0,
                      },

I've truncated out all the other parameters, but this would force the plugin to select all 10 maps available on the server, and ensures that we don't "lose" a slot to the extend current map option. Optionally, you could also reduce mapstoselect to 9, and set dontrepeatfor to 1, which ensures that the same map cannot be chosen in succession.

The downside to this, though, is that with so many choices, everyone's votes will be split and you will end up with "winners" having 2-3 votes - if at all.
                      In the case of ties or where consensus cannot be reached, the plugin will automatically cycle the map to the next map according to the mapcycle.json file which means it could randomly switch from NS2 to LS/CO and back when the server population is inappropriate to do so.

Edit 2:
                      This is also based off the assumption that the last stand maps themselves are not anything particularly special, and are separate from the last stand mod itself. If the two parts are inseparable, then theoretically loading the map should be enough to force the server to load all necessary prerequisites, aka, the mod itself.
                      ... Maybe I should stop being lazy and set up a server so I can stop talking in theoreticals.
                      Last edited by DarkScythe; 05-03-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I *love* trying out new game mods, this is how i found NS1 looong ago. Last Stand is much like the "Combat" mods but more challenging, and in my opinion, more fun! I can't wait to see how this mod develops and the new maps that come along. I agree fully with Montyp, it would be fantastic to have a LS dedicated server! Please if it is possible, make it so!

One thing i just found out though, low population LS servers don't do well. Once you get like less than 5v5 ppl start leaving. :(
                        Last edited by AngryPenguin; 05-03-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I'm all for running LS at least temporarily on a server. I've played it a handful of times and while there are some things that could use a bit of work (and I'm sure they will be in the future) overall it's pretty fun.
                          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Lazy question: can someone give me the name(s) of the Last Stand map(s)?

Comment

This mod is "hidden" now in the Workshop?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X