New map request list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New map request list

I just checked 50+ maps, lots were terrible. Some were epic, this is a list of all the ones that looked pretty balanced. Would love to see some of these (or all of em) added to the map rotation.

NS2_Triad
    turtle
    NS2_kleos
    icarus
    Goliath (still a bit grey scale but the map seems solid)

Clandestine (its massive but seems to have a good balance of hiding places of aliens and large corridors for marines
    DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Re: New map request list

If I can get 10+ people here requesting any of these maps for our evaluation, I'll put it/them on the server.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'll second Turtle.
      Skud

Comment

I still need to check out the others, but I've played on Turtle and enjoyed it.

Comment

I'd rather see jambi switched out for a different custom map (or cycle one custom map each week in normal map rotations). While we're talking about it, can we add ns2_eclipse and ns2_tanith to the server? Would love to try these old NS1 maps out with TG regulars.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=77383474 - eclipse

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=78917836 - tanith
          Last edited by aeroripper; 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

All of the maps +10.

After that we can post threads about which ones provide a horrible gaming experience.

:P

On a serious note, I did suggest eclipse a while back, BUT I'm not sure if adding it right now is the best idea. Last I heard, UWE picked up the guy creating this map and are in private testing to try and make it an official map for a future release.

Comment

I support getting turtle, and i agree with Dark, we should wait on eclipse, but tanith might be a good idea.
              Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I checked out eclipse, its gorgeous, intricate but its all grey textured, and it just feels really empty. When its polished and the minimap is colored its going to look amazing.

Comment

I haven't played either of these maps but walked through them to get an idea.

I had a few problems with turtle. First is the number of command points. At 6 I see the possibility for large stalemates and long games as both sides will be sitting on a large amount of res and equipment/lifeform abilities. Second there were several locations/paths that were uncannily one way giving marines a decent disadvantage to some res towers. Third, only three of the ips are not tied/uncannily close to a command point tying back into the first point.

Never playing NS1, I have no reference for tanith. It seemed like it could be a good map once it is fully hashed out. My feeling with many of the rooms incomplete is that the aliens would be at a decent disadvantage in both objects to move and hide behind as well as shading that will make them stand out.

All that said I wouldn't mind trying them out a couple of times to see how they do play. But I couldn't support either in the normal map rotation at this time. Do we have the ability to put the maps on the server allowing admins to change to the map out of a cycle if enough people on the server are interested? There are many times where the server is mostly supporting members who I bet wouldn't mind trying them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shukudai View Post
                    Do we have the ability to put the maps on the server allowing admins to change to the map out of a cycle if enough people on the server are interested? There are many times where the server is mostly supporting members who I bet wouldn't mind trying them out.
                    Having the map on the server but not in the rotation would be nice, and change to it when we want it. can this happen?
                    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

+1 that idea, if we are able to have the maps on the server but not in the normal rotation would you also be able to add in another command eg. sv_maplist to have a list of the maps on the server show up in their current rotation and the ones that aren't in the rotation listed under them. That way when switching maps we would be able to jump back to the rotation where we left off after the new map play was finished.

Comment

It could be fun to have a custom map night and just test them all on one of the servers if there is enough interest with regulars.
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                          Having the map on the server but not in the rotation would be nice, and change to it when we want it. can this happen?
                          Originally posted by Montyp View Post
                          +1 that idea, if we are able to have the maps on the server but not in the normal rotation[...]
                          Yes, this is possible.
                          An admin can manually override the server via sv_changemap and set it to whatever map exists on the server.
                          There used to be a funny bug where the server would try to load exactly what was typed, and an admin could crash the server by typing an incomplete/non-existent map name, and the server attempted to load it. That's been fixed though.

Anyway, it would exhibit the same behavior as when Gorgeous was released with the map Descent.
                          If I remember correctly, Wyz forgot to add it into the mapcycle file, so the server never changed to it, but an admin was able to manually take the server to descent a few times, and afterward it would advance back to the mapcycle. The same would be true of adding custom maps to the server, but not to the mapcycle.

Edit:
                          There is one caveat though.
                          The server needs to be able to tell the client what mod (the custom map) to download.
                          I'm not sure if this requires placing the map modid's within the mapcycle file to force all connecting clients to download every custom map listed or not.
                          I'm not familiar with what would happen if you simply loaded the custom map on the server and switched to it manually without doing anything else - if any clients would be able to connect or not, unless they already had a copy of that map.

Comment

I tried adding all three to my DEV server (repro'd this behavior on Chuckle before removing the mods there):
                            http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=77383474
                            http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=78917836
                            http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=75943673

They all load just fine (that is, I can connect w/o error using my client) if they're specified as the server start map. They all fail with this error when I use sv_changemap (or the Web Admin GUI) to change maps to them:

Code:
                            [Server] Script Error #1: lua/Gamerules_Global.lua:36: attempt to index a nil value
                                Call stack:
                                #1: lua/Gamerules_Global.lua:36
                                    client = ServerClient { }
                            Client disconnected (127.0.0.1) File not found
                            [Server] Script Error #2: lua/Gamerules_Global.lua:40: attempt to index a nil value
                                Call stack:
                                #1: lua/Gamerules_Global.lua:40
                                    client = ServerClient { }
                            Anyone have any ideas?
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

is the syntax being typed correctly when you use sv_changemap? IE... "NS2_eclipse" or "ns2_eclipse" ?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/123497/x

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...mapcycle-issue

^ Some links that may help, although some of the info may be outdated.
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X