Guide to true >100fps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to true >100fps

Firstly do cl_showfps 1 in the console to display your current framerate.
    Secondly do fps_max 999.
    Thirdly do developer 1.

Now, if your computer can do it, you should be running at the maximum fps your computer can handle.. which could be well beyond 100fps.

For those who don't believe, yes it is true... You can verify it by using a third party framerate checker like fraps (fraps.com)

thanks.

Re: Guide to true >100fps

I can get 100 fps standing still, but combat situations drag it down to about 97 =P
    Not that 97 is much worse than 100, but I'm guessing I won't get any benefit from uncapping my framerate, since I don't hit the cap as it is.

Edit: Oh, and don't try to blink with 200+ fps....blink drains energy each frame, so at 200 fps you're going to run out of energy real fast, even with Adren.

Comment

Although your GFX card can go well above 100 fps, HL still only renders up to 100. Unlocking developer one just shows what it "could" get up to.
      USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
        Although your GFX card can go well above 100 fps, HL still only renders up to 100. Unlocking developer one just shows what it "could" get up to.
        that is untrue, you can prove it by using a third party framerate checker. Try it before you say such things.

Comment

I dont know the "truth" but it is certainly possible that the engine renders 100fps while displaying 200 fps. The key here is are ALL 200 frames unique? An external program could recognize that the engine is drawing 200fps, but in reality the engine may only be generating 100 unique fps.

Are there any advantages to breaking the 100 fps limit? Faster rate of fire on guns? Easier to bunny hop?
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Answer this, Cyber.

You use the word "true" in your thread title.

How do you define "true" FPS, and what benefit do you realize from exceeding 100 FPS?

This is a sincere question with a valid answer (or maybe answers). I just want to hear what your answers are.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

L33t vidcard: Hello Mr. Outdated Half-Life engine I cost $600 at best buy and can run all those cool new games that are better than you.

L33t vidcard: Developer 1 mode ATTACK!

Half-Life Engine: O nos you found my super secret fps unlocker.

L33t vidcard: YES! 500 fps, I can see it look at that cool number! Iím so bad ass.

Half-Life Engine: Help my commands are running too fast! ahh, o nos this script wont work.

L33t vidcard: Fear not for I am 8 years ahead of your time and can proccess all those frames!

Monitor: uhhh wtf so many frames, help help I can't handle them all.

Monitor: My refresh rate is only 100 you moron vidcard I can't use all those extra frames, get them the hell out of here.

Comment

That would have been so much better with puppets.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

ROF is dependent on FPS. Faster FPS = faster ROF.

So you empty out your gun clip a little bit faster. And, as someone else said earlier, it may be the reason you use up more adrenaline when blinking.

There are reports that this helps with bunnyhopping in that you stay in the air longer (ever so slightly) or that your movement in the air is smoother. However, this can be counteracted by the longer touch on the ground when landing (you're touching the ground for more frames since you've increased your FPS), unless you can time the jump just right (virtually impossible without "third party" help).

Personally, I've tried it a while back, and I've since reverted back to the traditional limit of 99fps. I found the movement of objects to be more jumpy/warpy due to the interpolation of the high "internal" fps to the lower "extrenal" render rate of 99fps.
                  [SimplyWicked.net]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT

Comment

Too bad it's the server that fires the bullets, and if he's only taking 60 commands from you a second, he's only taking 60 commands from you a second.

For proof check wyz's mod. 0 ROF, no matter what your FPS is - because the server is teh boss.

Comment

ROF is dependent on FPS. Faster FPS = faster ROF.
                      Not necessarily. As framerate increases, attack rate varies in cycles where it gradually rises for some time and then instantly falls and begins a new cycle. The peaks and troughs of these cycles also gradually approach each other as the framerate increases, such that at framerates much above 100 fps there is no noticeable difference. On the other end, 20 fps gives the highest possible firing rate, while 21 fps gives the lowest.

I'm not sure how blink fits into this; perhaps one of its cycles spans more than 100 fps (due somehow to its high firing rate), or perhaps its firing rate was programmed to depend on frames rather than time (once every frame, for instance).

From my limited research into jump height, I've found that it does not merely increase with framerate. I've found low framerate settings that achieve more height than higher framerate settings, and vice versa. However I would need to make a map with platforms of various heights to conduct any thorough research, and I'm too lazy to do that.

Also, the reason you're having trouble timing your jumps to bunnyhop at higher framerates is that the wait command waits one frame rather than any specific period of time. As a result, at higher framerates your jump script does not span as much time as it normally would and thus is more difficult to time (this is similar in effect to reducing the number of jumps and waits in your script).

Comment

Originally posted by a civilian
                        On the other end, 20 fps gives the highest possible firing rate, while 21 fps gives the lowest.
                        Thank you! I have been looking for that piece of information for a long time. I remember reading it on the NS forums a while ago, but could never find it again for use in these type of discussions.

Welcome NSPlayer and a civilian.
                        Steam Community: | |

Comment

Ahh... I was basing my info on [OldF]Niteowl's earlier words. He wrote the NSGuide Manual and is chums with some devs.

However, doing a quick search again on the OldF forums, Niteowl actually references you, a civilian, in one of his posts, and the research that you conducted that showed odd results. Niteowl bugged a dev back in January 2005: "And when i got a dev's response on it, he said it was an animation issue, and the ROF is what is in the balance.txt."

Anyhow, I'll see if I can bug Niteowl again for an updated status. What you say makes sense though. :)

As for bunnyhopping, I could swear that is what I got from reading an article somewhere. For all I know, it could have been a post you made on the NS forums (it's down now, so I can't search), and that I grossly misunderstood the whole thing. Lol. :)
                          [SimplyWicked.net]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT

Comment

Actually, I did conduct some testing with the HMG over a year ago and found that its firing rate increased proportionally with framerate. However, when I did much more recent research into the effect of framerate on attack rate, I found that the HMG and all other weapons I tested followed the aforementioned cyclic pattern. I therefore assume the problem was fixed.

"And when i got a dev's response on it, he said it was an animation issue, and the ROF is what is in the balance.txt."
                            I've heard that before from the developers, but I don't believe it. I used a script to fire the LMG for exactly 2 seconds at various framerates (with the script of course modified for each framerate setting to compensate for the change in wait length), and it consumed different quantities of ammunition at different framerates.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                              Answer this, Cyber.

You use the word "true" in your thread title.

How do you define "true" FPS, and what benefit do you realize from exceeding 100 FPS?

This is a sincere question with a valid answer (or maybe answers). I just want to hear what your answers are.
                              Yes I use the word true because the video card will truely render more than 100 fps if it can. True was used becuase some said that it may say a framerate higher than 100 but it only outputs at a max of 100. With third party programs it has been proven that halflife outputs more than 100fps.

Additionally, if you inspect the quake source code (from which halflife is based), you can see that the input rate is not defined internally, which means that it is from direct x and direct x is udpated at atleast 1khz (see quake 3 source code, all input is measured by 1/1000 a sec)... ergo the input speed is not limited. It is true that the contents of the engine may not update faster than a certain limit, but it is untrue to say that it does not draw more than 100fps and that anything more than 100 is useless.. because obviously input is not limited. If you do not believe me, please check out the quake and quake 3 source codes (in the quake source look for vid_win.c line 3324).

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/

The benefit to more than 100fps is a smoother experience. When you disable vsync (run your monitor at 100fps) you wont get any tearing, if your mouse refreshes at 1khz you will get smoother movement, and reaction time is improved because even if the server sends at a certain rate you can still react a little faster on your client resulting in more accurate movements/aiming/etc... becuase its relying less on interpolated update frames.

Thx :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X