"new" mod: gb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" mod: gb

I've created the "Goodbye" mod for our NS2 server. It's very similar to its namesake from our NS1 servers. It was very helpful then, especially to seeders, and I'm hoping the same now.

You should use the "gb" command to remove from the server (say "goodbye" to) any Stranger ("?" designation) who you've clearly warned for violating a documented server rule.

All usages are logged. The command's syntax takes the following form:

gb <player> <reason>

<player> is a partial wildcard match against a unique playername (of a Stranger)
    <reason> explains which documented server rule they've continued to violate despite warnings (be terse, but don't make stuff up) -- you do not have to put quotes around the <reason>, and to do so is harmless

Presently, Guardians have access to this command.

Some forum quotes from 2006-2007, when we last announced "gb" (I'd link to the old threads, but 'gb' was just enough dissimilar then that I don't want to confuse):

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
    The "gb" is short for "goodbye", and the purpose of the command is to keep OFF of the server players who don't belong on it.
    The player is kicked, shown the reason you stated. The reason ... must reference a documented server rule you're PLENTY confident applying to the situation, even if it's something as situational as "respect other players." [The command's] purpose is to keep OFF of the server players who don't belong on it.
    Please use this. Use it responsibly, and as an ambassador of what you know makes the server great, but use it.
    Originally posted by Pokerface
    if they persist in the behavior that got them gb'ed (or any other behavior against our rules), they're ripe for leaving again. Of course, if they correct their issues, they stay.
    1) don't move too quickly. Poker's right.. go with your gut, but I'm running this boat, and I've found MYSELF to be too fast on the draw, especially if I'm dealing with goon after goon after goon. Just keep yourself in check and you'll be fine.

2) Don't concern yourself with the risk that they might respond while you're busy typing the command into the console. If that happens, and they return upset, explain you were just trying to get them to respond, you're sorry you didn't see them finally respond before you kicked them, and that you're glad they're back. If they're not a problem again, game on.

3) If someone returns once, let 'im repeat his previous removal-worthy mistake before he's removed again. If he returns immediately a second time, feel free to evaluate him much more quickly. Yeah, feel free to judge each case individually, but, in my experience, folks who come back after that either get it or are looking to cause grief. Don't feel that you have to tolerate that for one second.
    Originally posted by shroompicker
    I gb'ed one guy. He was mouthing off, calling people a noob, and others, not me, asked him to pipe down. He responded to others' requests to pipe down with "shutup noob" types of comments, so I gb'ed him without saying anything. With the help text that you programmed into it, I was able to fuss around on the command line and get it to work, good job on that. I never read this forum, just heard about the 'gb' command on voice and with the tagline messages, and eventually managed to type gb n00br4n7 "respect please". He came back next game, minus the attitude, and played I believe two more full games with us without invoking our wrath.

All of you asking how and when to use the gb command... Before using it, just ask yourself, would this make Wyz remove the gb command? If you say to yourself no, use it. It's pretty clearly stated above what the gb command is for. It's a subjective rule, but that final gut check, would Wyz remove gb, should be a good one.

Originally posted by Pokerface
    You can be terse when specifying the reason, if it helps, but never be rude or immature. Represent our community as professionally as you can, despite how the other guy may be acting. "Showing off" with 'gb' is a good way to lose access to it, as is threatening use of 'gb'.

Don't threaten people with this. Warn them and then remove them. No drama. Just remove the problem, ideally as transparently (to others) as possible. This helps players focus on the game, not the removal.
    'gb' holders cannot see admin chat.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: &quot;new&quot; mod: gb

When using the gb command are we using the shown UserName or are we using the ID from sv_status

so is it

gb Noobkiller24 "Listening to voice com and responding is required on this server."

OR

gb 16 "Listening to voice com and responding is required on this server."
    DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

Name (partial wildcard) and number (Game Id in sv_status) both work (thanks to kormendi for that code, which I've reused here).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't know about the ID number, since I don't think P's have access to that command.
        However, since I did help Wyz test this last night, if the ID number is only to make it easier/quicker to find someone, you can take advantage of the wildcard search.

In the case of noobkiller24, you can type gb noob blah and it will work, assuming no one else on the server has the word noob in their name, otherwise you can try gb 24 blah.

Soecifically, last night during the testing, there were 4 people on the server: Wyzcrak, Aristeus, Thane, and DarkScythe.
        These commands were successful at matching a player:
        gb wyz
        gb crak
        gb aris
        gb teus
        gb dark
        While these were successful, no one was actually kicked, as the server knows everyone as a P or A (the last case was myself, but the error message didn't change.)

However, the following would not work:
        gb a
        Since all 4 of us have an "a" in our alias, it failed to match a player and gave an error stating as such.

In effect, you only need to type enough contiguous letters for the server to find a match, rather than the whole name.
        I'll have to defer to Wyz on the ID numbers thing, though.

Edit:
        Ninja'd because I type at the speed of a drunk turtle in the morning.

Comment

Everyone has access to sv_status. Using the player's Game Id is preferable when they've gone out of their way to choose a high-maintenance name.

Comment

Nice!

I had typed:

Does the gb player reason command work for temp admins as well? I would think for someone to have agreed to be a T they should already be of the mindset of a Guardian. Not to mention not having the SMs who opt in to the T to not have to also opt in to the G would allow for more P members to have to opportunity to pitch in and keep the community ideals.

But then reread the guardian thread and saw it mostly answered my questions. But I'll leave it because it sums up the reason behind this question: Even if there is a T on the server shouldn't we also allow a G? It would just add another layer of monitoring for instances such as when the T is preoccupied as comm or is the type of person who just wants to be able to change the map etc...
            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I like your thinking. I'll make an argument for the status quo, and let's see what we think.

The boundaries are per team, not per server. If there's a Temp Admin on one team, the other team (or the Ready Room, for what that's worth) can have a Guardian (if it doesn't have a Temp Admin). So that's multiple helpers per server, potentially. But let's play devil's advocate and say every opted-in player is on the same team.

I don't want players who need assistance to have a single moment of confusion (which creates additional delay) as to who to turn to, and I think that confusion would manifest itself more often than the inconvenience of the single helper being busy.

Very few problems require such immediate attention as to prevent a higher lifeform (or even a commander) from ducking around a corner for a brief moment to play "Admin".

So, the design to roll up to an unmistakable assistance point is by design, but I'd be amenable to changing it if it created more than it helped.

Comment

I didn't give Temp Admins 'gb' b/c they have 'kick'. I don't want a Temp Admin to have to care about the SM/P/? status of their kick target, and I don't want them to have to consider two different commands for removing players from the server (when they're Temp Admins).

Comment

Fair enough on the reasons for having the G and T not coexisting. So if we are already opted in for the T then there's no reason to opt in for a G, correct?

And to be clear (and I apologize for being quite dense sometimes) , as a T if we need to remove someone for the reasons that a gb command would be used from a G, we would type kick player reason in console? The couple of times I've removed someone I don't think I typed in the reason in the console after kick player (although I had made it clear before the kick).
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

That's right regarding the syntax. I didn't write /that/ kick command, and I don't think it does as /good/ a job /showing/ the reason, but you should specify one (and, it will do a better job in the future, when NS2 has better native support for showing kick reasons).

As someone opted into Temp Admin, You might opt-in to Guardian so that you are chosen when someone else on your team gets Temp Admin.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X