Guardians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardians

I've created the Guardians designation for any player (SM or not) who has signed and agreed to our TGNS Primer, has played at least 40 games, is playing with his sh_name-registered BKA name, and wishes to play an active role "guarding" the design of our server and the experience it offers.

) it's opt-in (you may opt out any time)

) it shows an "A" scoreboard designation

To opt in (or out) of Guardian, issue this console command while connected to the server:

sh_guardian

Opting in/out on one server does the same for the other server -- it's a player-specific, not server-specific, option.

Guardians are expected to use known player names, so execute the sh_name command to set your BKA (better known as) name. You can only use this sh_name command once every three weeks (set the value carefully!), but the BKA value is remembered without expiration, and an admin can fix it for you if you mess it up. In addition to the other requirements, you'll be granted Guardian only when you're playing with a player name which exactly matches your BKA name. You may view your BKA name at any time by executing sh_whois against yourself.

Do please use your powers (for good, not evil)!

Presently, the list of responsibilities for those opted in (and selected for rights when they're on the server):

Admin Chat (start chat w/ @)
    Kick
    Change Map

There's more. In your console, once you're a Guardian, execute: sh_help

If you have any questions about being a Guardian, you can always Contact an Admin with any question.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 11-15-2014, 08:12 PM. Reason: sv_guardian->sh_guardian
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Guardians

Is there anyway we could advance this role?

I realize that just any person being a guardian with partial admin ability is probably not a good thing, but would it be possible for someone to be "proven" as a guardian and granted certain commands? I'd like to have the ability to balance if no one else were available to do so. I'm not even sure the "proven" status of guardian is necessary for a guardian to be able to balance, but it would be nice to be able to be trusted to handle more admin responsibilities at some point.

Just a thought.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

I've added sh_balance to Guardians.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
        Is there anyway we could advance this role?

I realize that just any person being a guardian with partial admin ability is probably not a good thing, but would it be possible for someone to be "proven" as a guardian and granted certain commands? I'd like to have the ability to balance if no one else were available to do so. I'm not even sure the "proven" status of guardian is necessary for a guardian to be able to balance, but it would be nice to be able to be trusted to handle more admin responsibilities at some point.

Just a thought.

Mom
        I had a couple of threads with this in mind over the past couple of months. I think Wyz is pretty steadfast in keeping the current roles and only allowing SM's the ability to tempban. I'd like there to be a niche spot for a few trusted P's, but i'm sure it will only be for A's and T's.

Comment

I actually just had an idea about switching up the roles.

To be honest a lot of people that have the T as a SM only have it to be able to change the map and balance teams. Many of them don't actively carry out the rules or protect the server rules unless otherwise directed by another.

I know we have "g" and "G" for guardians. Why don't me make it simply that, a guardian role. People that truly want to uphold the rules and conduct of the server. Give them sh_gb and sh_balance; you can additionaly give the G's sh_tempban plus sh_changemap and leave those out for g's.

Remove sh_gb from T's. Only allow the T's to do sh_balance and sh_changemap. You could also add a "t" level for P's so they have only have the ability to sh_balance.

This way T's and t's have the ability of a temp admin but not the responsibility to keep up the rules. Therefore you know the G's and g's are there to enforce rules and conduct on server; this should carry a little more weight to the role.

You can also make it so the G's and g's role overrides the display of T's and t's for players if they opt in for guardianship. That will enable the same pecking order, just a little different display for continuity purposes so people know who is truly watching the players for adherence to the rules.

Just a thought...let me know your thoughts :)

Comment

I'll give some thought to the spirit of what you're saying, for sure.

Comment

I wonder if there might be consideration for allowing one of each tier (T and g) to exist simultaneously.

Last night at least, mirage and I were on a team, but we were 'overridden' by a T, BeigeAlert, who also happened to be commanding.
              This made it a bit more difficult to enforce the rules as we had to defer to Beige to take any action, and I'm sure he was preoccupied with commanding for a bit.
              Not sure what this does to overall balance of power as I haven't thought it through yet, but it was an idea.

Comment

I've made a code change w/o testing it. It should allow one Temp Admin and one Guardian to coexist per team (both trumped by Admin, still). Let's try that and see how we like it.

Comment

I'll purge all opt-ins for Guardians on Sunday, 11/17. Anyone may immediately again opt-in on the server using the sh_guardian command.

The commands available to Guardians have been adjusted (see OP) to tighten the Guardian role to one of enforcement of server rules, support of community, and of generally taking an active role in keeping TGNS reliable for what it is: a group of friends playing this game around an agreed-upon set of rules.

Guardians have always been expected to enforce rules and act selflessly. I went and screwed that up by making too many commands Guardian-exclusive, so that folks uninterested in selfless enforcement opted in (that's bad). Guardian no longer grants you access to balance or bots.

Spread the word: opt-in after this purge only if you're prepared to selflessly and politely prioritize rule enforcement over your personal gameplay.

Thank you. Players really do appreciate having that support when they're playing on the server.

Comment

I'm assuming this purge will not reset the 40 game count, right?

Mom
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Correct.

Comment

What does this mean exactly? I mean, how are we "sacrificing gameplay for rule enforcement"? The only example I can think of is F4'ing in order to spectate someone (something that I tried doing but wasn't able to due to there not being enough players connected. I would end up joining the team right back by the way). Could you provide some specific examples of what people have been doing (or haven't) that prompted this change?
                        HaX^

Comment

I don't believe it's any specific action or actions by people that prompted a change to the policy.
                          The bigger reason is that many people were opting-in to Guardian for the sole purpose of gaining access to sh_balance or sh_bots, or other miscellaneous commands that had nothing to really do with enforcement of rules.
                          Now the Guardian role is more (or has reverted back to being) specifically tuned for administrating the server in the absence of full admins.

Sacrificing gameplay for rule enforcement more or less means you are willing to give up playing the game momentarily to deal with issues that come up.
                          For example, you are a Fade doing hit and runs behind enemy territory. The marines are after you, and you're doing your best to dodge in and out to do damage, and find a way back to a place to heal.
                          You're coordinating with the rest of your team when all of a sudden someone out of frustration starts insulting the team harshly for lack of progress using a variety of colorful language.
                          If you are a player, you may either a) ignore the outburst and continue to push on, or b) notify an admin of the problematic player.
                          As a Guardian, you are obligated to stop and deal with said player. This means you stop and issue a warning and/or remove them from the server, even if doing so means your Fade sits in a hallway for 3 seconds and gets mowed down by a chasing shotgunner.

Comment

The way I see it is slightly different, Dark. I tend to try to find a spot to save my lifeform immediately, but not stand in a hallway and just basically suicide. The reason for this is because if the person issuing the insult or performing the infraction causes me to lose a lifeform that may be the reason my team is on top, then that player has successfully influenced the entire round for multiple people. It IS expected that we perform our duty immediately, but I don't think that immediately means not taking a moment to find a vent to hide in or flee back to the hive.

That said, imho, this only pertains to higher lifeforms and possible turning points. If you are ninja'ing a PG in The Dome and someone does something you need to address, I'd give the PG a chance to go up before I just stopped what I was doing and addressed the issue. If I'm a skulk bouncing toward a res node, then I'll stop in the middle of the hallway because my death doesn't REALLY change the course of the game. I'd much rather preserve the experience of the other players on my team and fix the problem in a timely manner, than help the person insulting the team by going a step further to ruin the experience and losing the only Onos on the map.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I am aware there are always various circumstances to every situation, and each instance is handled differently depending on what is going on.
                              It's also why I had asked for multiple Guardians to be available on each team, so that one may defer to another in these situations where one might be in a much less precarious situation.

However, I was demonstrating such a scenario in order to give HaX (and others) what is meant with the charge of "sacrificing gameplay for rule enforcement."
                              Though the chances are small, there may still invariably come a time where such a case occurs and you have to lose some expensive toy or lifeform in order to handle a problem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X