This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance Test mod

I'd like to bring discussion to the fact that it's pretty much been confirmed that changes from the BT mod will make it to vanilla NS2 at some point.

__________________________________________________ _____

Quote by UWEs Cory Strader http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...omment_2118006

Just to clarify a little bit, at the moment UWE is planning on moving forward with implementing the Balance Mod into Vanilla NS2 in some form, unless there is a huge outcry, which at the moment there does not seem to be. And as Hugh points out, this is a massive undertaking, and does come with a lot of risks. What has been more up in the air is the release date for that, and which features are going to make the final cut, and that is where we are trying to solicit as much feedback from the community as possible.

So I think the best thing to do is assume that we are going to incorporate a large amount of the mod into the game at some point soon, and if you want to have a say, play it. And play it a lot, not just a single game before passing judgement. And please don't just read the changelog before passing judgement, either.

__________________________________________________ _____

Now if you've ever joined a balance test server you know that it's about as different from vanilla NS2 as NS1 is. I've played it a few times but it was painful trying to learn the new mechanics because of 3 people on each team or because of a number of things which I can sum up with a facetious reason of 'pubs'. ;)

I would, however, love to try it out with a server full of our regulars. If there's enough interest, could we schedule one of the servers to run the balance test mod on occasion/regular intervals so if/when some of the changes make it into vanilla NS2 we will still be somewhat familiar with the game?
    aka Roland tHTG

Re: Balance Test mod

Link to the mod? Details on how to install it?

( to be clear, I'm farming this little bit of research out to whomever will do it for me, as I sometimes do here, to hopefully save me some time )
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Mod link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=130391092 It is run by Sewlek, the programmer previously known as Schimmel, and iirc he was at least partially in charge of balance changes throughout the alpha/beta stages of NS2. I have no idea how to install it though.

For anyone interested, there's also a (currently) 56 page thread on it at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...ks-balance-mod but keep in mind that the mod is a testing ground and will have gone through quite a few changes if you are bored enough to start reading at the beginning.
      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I would greatly enjoy this. The Balance Mod opens up a lot more strategies for commanders*, adds better movement for aliens, and better hit detection** for marines. The only issue with it is that the mod isn't on TGNS servers, so I haven't been able to enjoy it with the same level of teamwork I have come to expect from TGNS!

*It unchains marine proto-tech from # of command chairs, and instead makes your armor/weapon upgrades require more chairs. Fighting for more is important to win the long game, but it changes it to make the more interesting decision available from the start as opposed to location-restricted. Weapons and armor are automatic needed upgrades, unlike prototech or advanced weapons.
        **On the topic of hit detection, I'm not sure what the current state is but at one point Sewlek was testing making the bullets slightly "bigger" to account for animation glitches and make it more like NS1 hit detection. That, paired with the new movement mechanics (more momentum is maintained, so it's easier to lead your target), makes playing marine a lot better as well.
        remi.D

Comment

FOR WYZ:
          It looks like you would need to add <mods>130391092</mods> to the server's xml file (and if you want more than just that one, you just add more to the list seperated by spaces).
          You can also specify where you want the mod to be stored on the server by adding the command line arg: -modstorage "directory_path_to_store_mods". If you don't specify, it will be in: "%appdata%/roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop"

After you set this up, clients will download the mod when joining for any clientside stuff, and it will update on the server, if necessary, between maps.

Hope this speeds stuff up for you, Wyz! :)

Full info is here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...shop-how-to/p1 (scroll down to where it says "How-To For Dedicated Servers").
          Last edited by blu.knight; 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM.
          remi.D

Comment

Some highlights from the giant changelist
            - removed "no res while dead" rule
            - gorge tunnel entrances create now infestation when the other side is infested
            - onos movement won't be blocked by skulks, gorges and lerks anymore
            - whips can automatically bombard once they are matured
            - disabled gradual melee attacks
            - movement code rewritten
            - crag, shift and shade can now always be build
            - added echo gorge tunnel to shift (only on infestation)
            - extractors and command stations can now be parasited
            - added ability for marine commander to temporary power individual structures
            - JP and Exosuit are now available with 1 command station

Looks like a lot of stuff that makes the khamm more involved (lots of changes to drifter to make them more versatile as well), and a lot of changes to the marine comm to remove the ordering restrictions of the tech tree (no armory required for an armslab is another one). Yup, I want to play this on TGNS. :)
            remi.D

Comment

- removed "no res while dead" rule
              :(
              - movement code rewritten
              plsplspls i want bhop back

in general, yeah, it looks like more options, which should equal more creativity

Comment

Yup, bhop is back, but better, with the BT mod.

Why does "no res while dead" being removed make you sad? That's probably the #1 thing that most negatively impacts my gameplay. It makes me want to just sit idling in hive so that I can get a higher lifeform out faster and help the team. It's not good for NS2 to have a feature that actively encourages people (who know about it) to not play the game / engage enemies. Without it skulks can keep suicide rushing exos like they are supposed to without being punished for it. Makes playing against exos a lot less soul crushing.
                remi.D

Comment

The parts about onos movement and the crag/shift/shade anytime are both parts I really approve

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                    Yup, bhop is back, but better, with the BT mod.

Why does "no res while dead" being removed make you sad?[...]
                    In my opinion, NS2 suffers from alien lifeform explosion as it is, even with the no res while dead, which staggers it out over a couple seconds or a minute.
                    If this rule is removed, everyone gains res at the same rate, and at some point you will likely have 6-7 fades attacking you simultaneously.

I don't quite like the way no res while dead is implemented, but it's the only thing currently dealing with this to a very marginal degree.
                    It wasn't an issue in NS1 because there was no khamm, and the first 2 or 3 people that volunteered to drop RT's would not have the resources to go to a higher lifeform for a considerably longer amount of time versus those who were saving. On top of that, one person had to give up going Fade just to drop that second hive. In this case, at best you would only encounter 2-3 fades at a time, and in lengthy battles, more lifeforms would show up as time went on.
                    By contrast, current NS2 rounds seem to play out mostly skulks for a while, then a half dozen fades. If the battle goes on too long in the aliens' favor they just start throwing endless onoses at you.

Comment

I've put this on my list. No ETA, but I've had a pretty good "list pace" lately.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

At first I agreed about the no res while dead thing, I thought it was bad. But it is a substitute for RFK that pushes players to play smart instead of just suiciding, and to constantly go in and out of fights, which is important as any lifeform. It awards smart and teamwork oriented play, and I have not seen anyone who is petty enough to just hang out in the hive for 5 or 25 ticks. At the very least they go bite RTs and cause havok around the map.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                          and I have not seen anyone who is petty enough to just hang out in the hive for 5 or 25 ticks. .
                          I have
                          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                            I have
                            Haha, as have I. When it comes down to my team absolutely needing a higher lifeform, it's pretty awful that it's often more effective for me to stay completely out of danger.

In NS1, at that point I would become MORE aggressive, not less. NRFD is like RFK, but inverted. It has the same effect of the winning team having more res and the players that kill the most generally having more res than the players that don't... but it does so in a way that punishes people for playing the game and for trying to fight back.
                            remi.D

Comment

Where's the full changelog? Did I miss a link somewhere?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X