TGNS Consistency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS Consistency

Any chance of at least removing the xhairs and axe from the consistency checking on TGNS servers?

Seems like it would be mostly harmless, and the NS1 knife + improved xhairs hugely improve the gameplay experience.
    remi.D

Re: TGNS Consistency

Doubt it. What happens if aliens make all marine axes glow super bright like a beacon to eat them!

And what an unfair advantage that you should mod your crosshair to give you a better aiming!

All joking about after-modding akin to GeoHOT and PS3, I do greatly miss the ablitity to use your own custom skins, mods, ect. Just because some one can see bright pink skulks doesn't mean they could 'hit' said skulks. I'd love there to be some sort of check against the approved MOD list from steam's workshop.

Comment

I don't think the gorge eye mod should necessarily be allowed for the reason you mention, but the axe mod only impacts the viewmodel, the in-world version uses different assets and so should be perfectly fine. People could make their viewmodel invisible, but I don't think that gives that much of an advantage anyways.
      remi.D

Comment

Pretty sure I've read on the UWE forums in the past that white listing mods wasn't in the plans for the future, but Wyz did say he would entertain the idea of whitelisting certain mods if it did get implemented and didn't cause too much extra work...

Also I don't know what is causing your crosshair mod to be denied, but I've used custom crosshairs with no trouble for a long time.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

It's not a matter of whitelisting the mods, it's that the consistency checking currently has some files included in it that the mod is trying to override. The consistency checking just needs to be turned off for...

* models/marine/axe/axe_view.material
          * ui/exosuit_HUD1.dds
          * cinematics/alien/gorge/healthspray.cinematic
          * ... plus potentially some more

Wyz, if you're ok doing this when I get home I'll investigate the full list of what would need to be allowed so you can do the minimal amount of work. ;)

Also Roland, I think this particular xhair mod is being denied because it's adding a xhair to the exosuit which normally doesn't have one.
          remi.D

Comment

IMO, whitelisting mods by filtering them out of consistency checking is a slippery slope.
            Personally, I have no problems with my crosshair mod, but if I recall correctly, the exosuit crosshair is a simple white dot to begin with, so you can probably remove it on your end.

Outside of that, once you make a case for certain mods, others may try to voice their own reasons for mods, and after a while you end up with a mess of filters that allow a large number of miscellaneous mods - some of which may prove to be exploitable.

Not saying this is what's going to happen, and Wyz makes the final call on this, but I thought I'd play devil's advocate and provide an opinion from the other side.
            Having run a server before, I know it was a tricky balance between blocking exploitable mods and allowing freedom of customization.

Comment

I'm not sure what case would need to be made to loosen the consistency checking, but this isn't it.

I'm really sorry for the hardline approach, but not sorry enough to abandon it.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X