I'm back... kinda.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back... kinda.

I'm sure some of you remember Mom from way back when. I'm working on getting back into PC gaming and NS2 will be my first stop. Thanks to a very generous old penguin...

I posted a thread in the hardware forum about a PC build I'm trying to get off the ground. It's a nice PC, but I'm torn about some things. Since you guys are all NS2 junkies, I'd like some advice from the community here to come in over there, please. :)

I'm hoping to be in the server in a few months and I look forward to chomping on all your legs.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: I'm back... kinda.

Link? Just know ns2 is pretty cpu heavy...

Comment

The thread still hasn't been cleared by mods. I got my questions answered anyway. Going to go with the i5 ivy bridge. Was debating between it and phenom II x4. Pretty sure that proc will do me just fine with NS2 and beyond. :)

Good to see you around still, micro.
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Welcome back. And you are wise for choosing the i5 over the phenom. By cpu heavy, micro means the game is heavily dependent on clock speed...
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail -- getting that proc... I figure that will do me just fine... with this mobo:

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Motherboard - ATX, 4x DIMM, DDR3, Socket 1155, PCIe 3.0, Intel Z77 Chipset, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, HDMI, LAN, DVI, DisplayPort

I wanted a Gigabyte mobo, but I figure this will do fine for what I need.

I was wondering... do you guys have any suggestions for vid cards for SLI or Crossfire? I'd prefer Nvidia, but I'll go with whatever is going to get me the best FPS at max settings in NS2 :P

Let me know.. and good to see you, Roland. It's been a while.

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I recently upgraded my CPU (3570K), motherboard (ASRock Z77 Extreme4), and RAM (16GB). Still have a 5 year old video card (8800 GT) and the game runs great at mid settings.

Unless you have reason to get something top of the line, I'd recommend looking for a deal on a decent previous generation video card.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Thanks Kormendi. I like to know what I can do with the stuff I'll have. It looks like the i5 with the mobo I picked will do just fine for NS2 and beyond.

Can anyone recommend a vid card for around $100 bucks? Looking for nvidia. I've looked at the GTX 650. It's a bit pricey, but it looks... attractive, to say the least. Lol.

Wondering a couple things... I swear I'll stop talking about hardware after this!

What's the best clock speed I need for a card? I've seen cards with 5 ghz memory clock 1 ghz core clock and no shader clock... some with like 1.8 ghz memory clock... and a shader clock... etc etc.

And last question and post about hardware in the NS2 forum before I upset Wyz... :P

If I get a card that's dual-slot... it's big enough to occupy 2 pcie slots in my pc, not actively using them though.. right? And can I still SLI dual slot cards?

K, I'm done... I swear. :P

I'm looking at about 2 months before I'm in the server, hopefully. Unless of course someone wants to toss me a few hundred bucks.. :P

Thanks again for the advice, and I hope you guys are having a great night!

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Nvm... got it all worked out.

Thanks again for all your help, guys! See you in a month or 2.

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse