Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Balance Test mod?

Cast your vote in the poll above.

2/3 Majority required to keep the mod. Nothing is forever.

Discuss here!
    Yes -- Keep It
    13.64%
    No -- Do Not Keep It
    86.36%

The poll is expired.

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Keep Balance Test mod?

Bye bye, BT. May we meet again.
    remi.D

Comment

I voted no just because it doesn't have enough polish\testing for permanent play on the server. Lots of great/fun additions though, but also some not so great ones mixed in and some annoying bugs. Hope to see the good changes make it into NS2 soon. Was fun to play it for a week overall.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I personally prefer to play with the BT on, but also voting No because the mod scares away players, and is a bit unstable for full time play. Just gotta wait for the real patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
          I personally prefer to play with the BT on, but also voting No because the mod scares away players, and is a bit unstable for full time play. Just gotta wait for the real patch.
          I've actually noticed a bunch of players drawn to the server after seeing the WasabiOne / Hugh Jeremey broadcast on Saturday. The number scared away vs. the number curious enough to investigate may be larger, but it is definitely not 100%.

I also prefer to play with the BT on, and will potentially be taking a break from NS2 until some more of it gets integrated into vanilla because I just can not stand the current vanilla movement mechanics.
          remi.D

Comment

Just want to echo what aeroripper and Zek have stated so far. Lots of interesting changes and it is continuing to evolve in a positive direction.

However, the TG community is not being served as our Ps & Ss are not joining the server as often, at least in perception.

Hoping to see many of the changes in an official patch. Or, perhaps for TG to try it again for a few days in a couple of months.

Comment

Well, I regret posting negative comments about it in the beginning. This mod really grew on me and I am going to miss it...unless we get more YES votes?! We have 2 servers why can't we keep one with Balance mod on it and the other vanilla? I feel like I have been drugged and now you are removing the drugs. I no longer enjoy vanilla NS2 because I find it slow and repetitive. The Balance mod made things interesting and I didn't find it that buggy...just small annoyance with gorge tunnel bug.

Please keep the balance mod on 1/2 servers!

Comment

Originally posted by NaV_CoM View Post
                Well, I regret posting negative comments about it in the beginning. This mod really grew on me and I am going to miss it...unless we get more YES votes?! We have 2 servers why can't we keep one with Balance mod on it and the other vanilla? I feel like I have been drugged and now you are removing the drugs. I no longer enjoy vanilla NS2 because I find it slow and repetitive. The Balance mod made things interesting and I didn't find it that buggy...just small annoyance with gorge tunnel bug.

Well I certainly could see one server runing BT and one not. And the Mod has grown on me as well, I just feel that the mod is too unstable for general play. If the Mod's dev would do a little more testing before deployment, I would be happy, but the mod feels like an Alpha to me, not a beta. If it was a beta, I would be fine with it full time, but as an alpha it really needs more playtesting and tweaking before it ready for the masses.
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by NaV_CoM View Post

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree. I would love to see it stay in some capacity.
                  remi.D

Comment

Seems like quite a few experiments were held while I was away.

Personally, BT does intrigue me, even though I don't agree with all of its changes. However, in the end I have to vote no, despite having not played it very much since I've been away the past two weeks.
                    This isn't just a bias though, but something dictated by logic (in my opinion.)

Wyz has intended that the two TG servers be clones of each other, and seems fairly set on it, so I don't know how successful the suggestion of the compromise to have one server run BT and one vanilla would be. This sounds like a decent compromise, but the downside to this is that it will split the TGNS community further as some players prefer to play only on the vanilla server and some prefer to only play on the BT server. On one hand, this technically forces a number of TG regulars onto both servers, which enhances the quality of games slightly to incoming strangers. On the other hand, in my experience, unless the server is overwhelmingly populated with regulars, the regs tend to (intentional or not) stack together, and usually stomp the strangers. As best as I try to stick with whatever team I'm assigned to (even if I'm the only regular on a team of strangers and rookies) I can't say I'm not at least a little guilty of this when given the choice of a team.

In response to the BT mod itself, and the previous couple posts immediately prior by blu knight and lost:
                    The suggestion that the mod would be "better" if it received "more testing," this would completely defeat the point of the mod.
                    The purpose of the mod is to allow the UWE team to test random balance changes and whatever they think of to begin with. Heavily testing changes to release for testing makes no sense. The mod itself is to test with.
                    Along these lines, it means that the mod can and will change at any point with changes that may not necessarily always make any sense. As well, not every change made in the BT mod will make it into the final release of the game.

Because of all these points, while it is a fun way of playing the game with a different set of rules, it is far too unpredictable for a general public server.

Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

I've removed BT mod from both servers, with thanks to Sewlek for working so hard to improve the game and hope that he and we are satisfied with what of the mod's changes are eventually included in the game.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                        Because of all these points, while it is a fun way of playing the game with a different set of rules, it is far too unpredictable for a general public server.

Just my opinion, of course.
                        And that was exactly what I was trying to get at. I don't have problems with playing a beta release of something, but the polish level between beta and alpha are a quite a bit different. Alpha where you get random things thrown in, and things will break in very interesting ways, and should not be played in general play. Because you know that they will break and you need to fix it.

Betas however, are when you smoothed over the worst cracks in the code and now are ready to find the smaller ones, and the changes that can only be tested in large play. Well a good number of the changes fall under that, this mod has quite a few that fall under alpha. Too many for me to really overlook for general public play.
                        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Hm, I can understand possible instability as a side effect of the mod simply being what it is though.
                          From what I gathered from the outset, this mod was essentially for UWE to say "Hey, what would happen if we did this?" and then simply published that to see.
                          In this case, it's not surprising that occasionally we'd get things that don't quite work as expected.

In either case though, yeah stability problems make it even less suitable for a public server.
                          BT mod is like NS2c essentially, good once in a while but it's best to stick with vanilla NS2 most of the time for the servers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X