Bringing back the warm and fuzzy NS1 SM\primer commands and server wishlist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing back the warm and fuzzy NS1 SM\primer commands and server wishlist

So I was playing on the server today, which was mostly full of ? people. We had a pretty abusive comm and some other annoying enablers (guy with annoying voice mod). To be fair, it started off well enough until people stopped obeying the commander's orders. This caused him to flip out and scream at the team with a variety of slurs and it just went down hill from there. Two of the people needed to be kicked.

It was getting so bad I was trying to kick him from the server, but was fumbling with the sv_kick command and his partial name not working. I couldn't remember the status command (I kept trying "status" from NS1, but forgot its sv_status now" then type in their game id instead. Anyways, I've assembled a wish list :P

1) sv_tempban (automatically issues a temporary 5-10 minute ban, this is necessary for extremely abusive players). From my experience, you need something with a little more weight once you've had to resort to sv_kick to remove someone from the server. All SMs should have this function.

2) gb This is currently setup as the "guardian" program, but I don't think most of the primer signers are aware of it. I remember on the NS1 server there used to be a "aeroripper is joining the server, PLEASE DO use "gb" responsibly" message everytime a ? joined the server. Would love to see that reminder again, as it really got the regulars involved in keeping the server friendly and was effective. IMO, the guardian opt in should be changed and given to all primer signers like it was in NS1. If I remember the culture at the time, it was generally accepted that primer signers didn't have to act if they didn't want to, but after a while I don't think the regulars had problems removing players that needed it.

3) Love the @ and # (talking to admins\SM functions) but I don't see them used very much. Not sure if there's a good way to advertise these unobtrusively, maybe on round starts when SMs\primer signers join a team.

4) I believe there is a technical reason why this doesn't work with NS2, but a custom kick message like "sv_kick aeroripper respect" when they are back at the main menu would be great. Failing that, a message that displays on their screen before being kicked would be nice. For example:

sv_kick aeroripper reason goes here

>>> On my game it does this:

Screen goes black, sounds muted, microphone muted, text muted

"You have been kicked from the server by player "Wyzcrak" Please review our server rules here <link>. Take a break and relax before rejoining the server"

Reason: Disrespect towards team"

Also thought I'd mention, the new stats enhancement to the balance program was a nice addition.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Bringing back the warm and fuzzy NS1 SM\primer commands and server wishlist

I believe at the time of testing, Wyz mentioned that supporting members could also opt in to the Guardian program to access the goodbye command.
    They would be prefixed with a capital G, instead of a lower case one.

However, I thought it was kind of meaningless, as supporting members could instead opt in to being a Temp admin, which overrode a Guardian anyway, as well as having access to the kick command, and others.

I've been mindful that I have the ability to use this command, but until now, I have never really had a reason to use it. There were a few times where a couple verbal warnings and requests to tone things down worked just fine.
    Other times, there was usually a temp admin or a full admin around to take care of things.

As for the suggestion that primer signers automatically uphold the rules and should be opted in by default, I have to disagree.
    There are plenty of times where people treading the line on breaking the rules were themselves primer signers.
    It seems to do with the idea that people propagate that "if you sign up on the TG forums you get a [semi] reserved slot" and so people sign up for that, but the reason of "adhering to the server's rules" takes back seat.

Comment

As for the suggestion that primer signers automatically uphold the rules and should be opted in by default, I have to disagree.
      I'm just recalling it's effectiveness on the old NS1 server. They aren't expected to use it, but its available if they choose to. From my recollection, server behavior was unwittingly molded by regulars seeing the reminder about the "gb" command, and they often asked the regulars\SMs about it when it popped up. It got the regulars more involved in maintaining a good atmosphere on the server and talking to ? people far more often then any incidents of abuse as time went on.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Love the post, aero. Thanks.

Chat is more in-the-way in NS2 than it was in NS1, but you're right -- the "please DO use gb" messages did shape behavior of all of us, and I'll bring them back in some way.

gb opt-in will remain. We added it later in NS1 for the same reason we have it now: if you're designated on the scoreboard, everyone knows you signed up and they can and should rely on you to exercise your power.

I've known for some time that sv_tempban was overdue. I'll add it to my list.

I'll try to advertise @ and # more.

I've written some of the code that's required to provide kick reasons (primitive, but effective enough, I think). I'll work more on that.

Thanks again for the post. To write all of that down and constructively articulate what you think needs to happen is very selfless.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've been a guardian since the day I saw you activate the ability on the servers. I try to uphold the server rules as best I can when my ability is active; i've even had to use the gb ability on abusive, disruptive, and disrespectful people. I second Dark's comment about blurring the lines between people that want a semi reserved slot and those that actually care enough to uphold the server rules.

Quite frequently i've seen primer and mostly supporting members cross into the abusive or disrespectful region of conduct. One comment and usually the primer signers fall back into line and quiet down; not as much with the support members who blur the lines. I think they feel that because they pay money, it gives them the right to act how they want. If a few members collectively call out the supporting member, they will quiet down but it shouldnt be this way.

I support the temp ban ability to temp admins but I'm very against giving the guardian ability to all primer signers. This should be an ability allowed to those that care about the conduct of those on the server and quality of play that makes the server so great.

Comment

Any Primer signer may opt-in to the Guardian access, and admins may (and have) selectively and programmatically blacklisted opted-in individuals from those rights (whatever their opt-in status, which they continue to control), so there is accountability for sure.

We (TGNS, nevermind TG, which has even more) have ample precedent for banning (from the server, from the community, whatever's appropriate) Supporting Members in habitual violation of tenets. As you can imagine, that follows attempts to reform and retain.

As a guy who's run a couple shows here, I can also tell you that people in my position are not immune from course corrections by TG leadership that's learned of behavior or policy that's unsavory for whatever reason.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Although I'm sure there are valid reasons against it, personally I'm of the opinion that a SM or guardian (regardless of a T being on the team or not) that has opted in should have access to the given commands every time they join the server rather than by lottery.

Also, good to see that the @ and # chat will be advertised a bit, as I can never remember how to use them properly when I've had reason to in the past.
              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X