Balance mod issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance mod issues

I don't have an actual raw data, just anecdotal evidence but it seems when using the 'new' upgraded sv_balance, the teams always get stacked with mostly regs on one side and ? on the other. It's been doing this for about a week or so now since the ns2stats change was implemented.

I had two games today as well that had this same issue, where most of the SMs/primer signers got balanced to aliens from a full RR, and only wewt was put on marines with all the ? people.

The same thing happened to be in the previous game as well, except I was on aliens with all rookies and ? people.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Balance mod issues

I can attest to this.

I've been meaning to ping you, Wyz, but I haven't had a chance / seen you on.
    Balance itself "works" in that the command functions, but the teams it creates are horribly skewed. I am not sure if there is a fault with the handling of strangers we have no data for, but it is odd that it is grouping all of them together and putting everyone else on the other team.
    This is not happening once or twice, but basically every single time it is used.
    It has gotten to the point where sv_balance is unreliable, and we would prefer the straight sv_random, or simply organizing a mass rush into the random portal.

Hopefully this can be looked into at some point.

Comment

We were and still are using score-per-minute, but.... I otherwise tried to improve the which-player-to-send-next algorithm and clearly failed. The bigger failure was deploying without enough mod code runtime supervision immediately afterwards. My wont is to deploy at the beginning of a night that I'll be playing, and I didn't do that this time. I'm sorry.

Also, since our change to score-per-minute, my send-rookies-to-teams-evenly has been broken. A fix is deployed now.

Let me know if things improve. I know it's hard without "real" data, but tell me what you think.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Just an update:
        I assume when you deployed the fix, it affected both servers?

Following the conclusion of the captain's game on Taunt, the remaining players followed me to fill up Chuckle, as both servers were at around half full.
        We tried several times to balance teams (once it switched to a new map, Summit to Tram) but each time it completely failed.
        I believe Monty recorded the failure somehow, but essentially, the balance would execute, and scoreboards would be hidden as if it were running normally.

Then.....nothing happens. Scoreboards become visible again and no one has been moved to any team.

Comment

Strange. It worked normally in my testing. I'll try to get this fixed Monday night. Apologies!

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Balance now performs three operations per execution: 1) balance the rookies 2) balance the strangers 3) balance the regulars.

It still uses score-per-minute within each group as it's sending players to teams.

This gives everyone a stronger /perception/ of "balanced" and avoids the data creating teams which are too "stacked".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X