Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside feedback reguarding reserve slots, mentioning TG, and how we could fix it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outside feedback reguarding reserve slots, mentioning TG, and how we could fix it

I'm not sure how strictly that mod's search algorithm is, but assuming it is strict, TG's server's currently won't be handled properly.
    According to that thread, the TG server needs to be identified with "RS:07" and not just "RS7."

I guess if someone actually used that mod, they would be able to tell us if it's parsing the TG servers properly or not.

Comment

Re: Outside feedback reguarding reserve slots, mentioning TG, and how we could fix it

He asked admins what they thought would be good, and assuming TG is the first, he will adapt his mod to work with what Tg did.

Comment

Right. I interpreted it that way, but I've changed it to follow the format he suggested. If his mod works, and he knows applicable techniques as a developer, it should be easy to adapt such that it supports multiple conventions.

I've changed both servers to use the format he suggested. It occurs to me that the audience for the text isn't humans, but a computer, so it doesn't really matter how brief it is.

I'd consider contributing code to the mod if he open sources it.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Ah. Looks like the author did take my format after all, and so it stays.

client mod: ARS - Avoid Reserved Slots
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
            We are the server in the screenshot, very nice. Fingers crossed for UE to add it in to the regular game!
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

"I've made some major changes to the ARS mod, you can click over to the Steam Workshop page to see how it works now.

This mod has been out for over a little over a week and only has 1 group of servers using the RS# tag (thanks TacticalGamer.com!). I suspect a large part of the problem is reaching server administrators. While there are many NS2 forums and even an NS2 server admin mailing list, it's still difficult to engage server admins. When I decided to make these changes I was going to wait longer to see if things would catch on, but I really don't see a reason to wait.

Instead of giving up on this mod, I've taken it a step further with some major changes. The mod now has an internal database of servers and their reserved slots. It still checks every server name for an RS# tag, but if none is found it relies on the internal DB.

This allows the mod to identify *many* more servers with reserved slots at a small cost: I have to personally maintain the database and between updates a server's database entry may become outdated. Most servers don't change their name or the number of reserved slots very often, so it shouldn't be too large of a problem.

It would be extremely helpful to me if you could report servers that are inaccurately id'ed by the mod. For example, if you try to connect to a server that's marked as not having any reserved slots and are kicked to make room for reserved slot users, just post a message here. Make sure you include the full server name so I can look into it.

You can also help by encouraging server admins to put the number of public slots (the number of players that can connect before the server kicks them to make sure players with a reserved slot can connect) in their motd and by encouraging admins to use the RS# tag."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X