Protect P's in captains games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect P's in captains games?

While a ? can be a crap shoot in a captains game, a P can be high pick on the list of teams. If a supporting member joins and boots a P over a ? it can put a team a disadvantage. Today I was a captain and got kicked for a reserved slot. I spoke to someone about 30 minutes later and a lot of people left and I joined again. there were four green ?'s. Two of them got replaced at the start of the 2nd game, one on each team. Then another supporting member joins and I got kicked again for the 2nd captains game. I completely understand the funding the server is important and I was a supporting member a month ago for months. Though even as a supporting member some of my first picks as captains can be P's.

What does everyone else think?

-Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Protect P's in captains games?

Someone please tell me who won that last game of Summit
    Lights Out!

Comment

The point of protecting two strangers is so that they can take in the server when it's full of regulars. What better to showcase than our captains games?
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Would love to see Solarity's idea implemented. Having P's drop off randomly from supporting members throughout a captains game can really upset the balance and tactics- I remember that in one game we had to goad someone after a lengthy discussion into going lerk for umbra, only to have him be kicked. And since teams are picked so methodically, having either one very good player join or get booted from a team can make a massive difference.

And I agree, Wyz- potentially having 4 ?'s participate in a captains round is one of the best ways to get people to see what the server is like at its best- one captains game in particular on TG is what actually hooked me on NS2 and our servers.

Comment

Just throwing out an idea - what if reserved slots were temporarily disabled so long as captains mode is active?
          Usually captains mode is only toggled on and played when there are a large number of regulars are on, and comparatively few strangers.

During this mode, people take some care in choosing teams based on the roster present at the time of enabling it.
          Having players randomly drop out can disrupt the balance of these handpicked teams. In addition to Solarity today, I recall a while back when Xenoborg was captain and chose me as his first pick.. and we both promptly got kicked a minute after the captain's game got underway.
          Once enabled, if the reserved slot system is temporarily disabled, it keeps everyone, including however many strangers were present to begin with, be it 2 or 4 or 6, to experience an organized captain's game.
          For those who miss out, it may encourage them to hop in the other server instead for some pubbing.

Solarity:
          My team won both rounds in Summit.
          Alien round, we ended it pretty quickly as I found an opening to hit marine base in sub with someone (sorry, it's 4am so I can't remember for the life of me who it was) and monty hopped out and got killed. Then we cleared the IP's and everything, and it was gg.
          For the Marine round, I believe we lost one of our greens and got Retraced, which made our team even more devastating. It played out more normally, and eventually we won. Soul made Retraced do nothing but hunt RT's, which helped us stunt their economy, and one other guy on our team racked up an insane number of kills. I think it was 60 kills.

Comment

I think the person you are talking about was debalb. He got the ip, I was there for that game. The second game both of us kept pushing towards computer. As my aim has been off, I let him take point, while I covered him and kept him welded and comm kept him up with ammo and hp. I got kicked about the time we got exos. I think he got that high score.

I see the point for ?'s and agree. As long as we can replace people who leave and don't kick in captains, I think that would be best.
            Lights Out!

Comment

The intention of my comment was to argue against this idea, not for it.

But I clearly chose my words tragically and failed. :)

I'll think more on this. I acknowledge that the disruption caused by joiners may be greater than the value the joiners are taking.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hah, I had no idea my name change game was a captains round! Suiciding on RTs while Denalb racked up those 60 kills hurt my ego though!! :P

Comment

Denalb got me thinking that working as a pair, like fighter pilots did starting in ww2. The lead would shoot and the wing man would be there to cover the back of the leader. I would only fire when he was reloading or being directly attacked. Then I would keep him welded and watch his back. Granted it didn't give me as many kills, though holding part of the map with a nice long hallway, while harrasing their main seem to help the team a lot. I want to try that more often.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

It might be a good idea for captains games having particular join rules for reasons mentioned, as long as we could still join spec. :)
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Maybe have a spec que if someone drops the last spectator gets, put to that slot.

I love how we have all these nice simple solutions, that are great in theory, but take a lot of time to code.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

Personally I like the idea of protecting the players durning a captains game.

But for idiots like me, please make it loud and clear when I'm kicked off the server it's because of a captains game so I don't spam join the server and get frustrated.

Comment

I was about to play a captains game tonight...there was a lot of chatter about this very subject. I got kicked for some reason...maybe idling because I looked away for a minute while the discussion was on-going? Not sure, but anyways...

When I tried to re-join I just kept getting kicked off. Something about a captains game is progress...haha, so I guess I idled at exactly the wrong time right before someone enabled the captains game command I assume? Ah well not a big deal because we seem to be doing more of them these days.

For my 2 retired Canadian pennies:
                          I do agree that once a captain's game is enabled that everyone should be protected from being kicked, including "?" members. In fact, depending on how elaborate your code can be I would go as far as saying even during regular games, but for only the first game that the person plays. So if they are a "?" and after the first game played a "P" or "S" or whathaveyou joins then they could get booted for a slot (if required).

Anyhow, back to my regularly scheduled programming... ;-)

Comment

**delete double post...

Comment

Looks like wyzcrack did it. I went ahead and got S status again as getting kicked was getting annoying. Though it is good to know you can reliably pick someone and not worry about them being kicked.
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X