Return of the 'one name only' mod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the 'one name only' mod?

So we used to have this mod on our NS1 server, where players that played regularily were assigned a "permanent" name to be known as on the server. Just wondering what you guys think about a mod like this returning to NS2?

PROs:
    1) Get to know new regulars.
    2) May enable better teamwork when anonomity is removed, and people get more familiar with everybody.
    3) May draw more people to the forums and TG in general.

CONs:
    1) There will be people who like to be anonomous for various reasons (performance anxiety?)
    2) Would get complaints that we're the only server in NS2 that requires a permanent name, could drive away traffic.
    3) Could be difficult from an administrative perspective to adjust names if players ever want to change it.
    4) Too many mods fatigue, although most of ours don't alter gameplay.

Possible Implementations:
    1) When a player joins our server for the first time, it asks them what name they would like to be known as on the server. This would preferably be an immediately noticeable GUI dialog.
    2) Server records the most common name for someone used in the past 2 weeks and displays "pew pew [aeroripper]" after their name. This was the way the NS1 mod worked, but sometimes it got cut off on the scoreboard. Less optimal, not my preferred choice.
    3) When every play joins the server, it displays a list of their most common names when on the server, tied to their NS2 steamid. They can change their name as often as they like, and the system keeps track of the most recent 5 names. For example:
    4) A new console command for primer signers, and SMs named "sv_whois", which displays in console the last 5 names for that player.

"Welcome back ? playername, you've played 6 games. Recently known as "pew pew, godlike, monster gorge, and high five!"
    "Welcome P playername! Recently known as "choice, gorge"
    "Welcome g or G playername! Recently known as "muffins, underwater moose"
    "Welcome S playername! Recently known as "aeroripper"

Possible Variables:
    a) Players can only change their name on the server once a day, or some other decided upon interval.
    b) Only one name allowed after first joining the server permanently. The name you join the server with is the one you keep. Players can post in stickied thread on forums with their NS2 ID and preferred name for the server.

I think the best option is #3 for implementation, as its more of a natural extension of the current "welcome back! you've played X many games here" mechanic. It's less intrusive than a permanent name when you join. Granted, people could just spam different names a bunch of times if it only records the most recent 5 names, but you could set a limit on how many times they can change it in a day to resolve this. So the final implementation would look like:

>> Welcome back ? playername! You've played 6 games here. Recently known as "tiger, cow, moose, tank, and firehose"

>> aeroripper types "sv_whois playername" in console (partial, full, or ns2 steamid accepted)

>> OUTPUT: Current name: MOUSE
    Recently known as: tiger, cow, moose, tank, mouse

Anyways, just a random idea. What do you guys think?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Return of the 'one name only' mod?

I can't smurf anymore? :(

On a serious note, I'm not sure something like this would be necessary.
    To begin with, of the regulars that I know and have played with in the last couple month, I have been the only person to try smurfing under another name.
    There was the one exception where Retraced changed names every few minutes during a captain's round.
    Otherwise, most players on the TG servers work together fairly well as it is, regardless of the player's name.

Comment

Two questions, to make sure the intended improvement is clear:

Is there a concern that some players are currently changing their name a lot, or that doing so would be detrimental to playing as a team?

As a specific example, I changed from |TG-6th|snooggums to snooggums due to the character limit in chat, would seeing "Welcome snooggums! Recently known as "|TG-6th|snooggums, spec-snooggums" be a desired thing to see forever or just if their name is 'significantly different'?
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

what brought all this on? why the need for this?
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

It is a well reasoned and written suggestion, so the main thing at this point is whether it would be an improvement to the current environment.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The novelty and giggles offered by the /potential/ freedom to mask your identity at will have an opportunity cost of the strengthened sense of community that forced identity /can/ promote.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've added sv_whois to the server.

sv_whois wyz

It shows player aliases that the server periodically observes.

It also shows a "Better Known As" value, which any admin may set.

Everyone will see an asterisk next to the scoreboard line of any player having a "BKA" value until their name matches it (or an admin clears it).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                I can't smurf anymore? :(

On a serious note, I'm not sure something like this would be necessary.
                To begin with, of the regulars that I know and have played with in the last couple month, I have been the only person to try smurfing under another name.
                There was the one exception where Retraced changed names every few minutes during a captain's round.
                Otherwise, most players on the TG servers work together fairly well as it is, regardless of the player's name.
                Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                Two questions, to make sure the intended improvement is clear:

Is there a concern that some players are currently changing their name a lot, or that doing so would be detrimental to playing as a team?

As a specific example, I changed from |TG-6th|snooggums to snooggums due to the character limit in chat, would seeing "Welcome snooggums! Recently known as "|TG-6th|snooggums, spec-snooggums" be a desired thing to see forever or just if their name is 'significantly different'?
                Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                what brought all this on? why the need for this?
                There isn't really a problem with regulars smurfing on the server. That was far more an issue on the old NS1 server since the entire NS1 playing community was much smaller. It's more handy for the numerous "?" that visit the server under (presumably) different names everyday. IMO, if people had a somewhat persistent identity, they are more likely to try and communicate and work with the team than being completely anonymous. That's the idea at least, it could drive players away too but I don't recall it being a problem on the old server outside of people wanting to change their BKAs names.

Everyone will see an asterisk next to the scoreboard line of any player having a "BKA" value until their name matches it (or an admin clears it).
                Is it possible to just let people set their own BKA and just set a cooldown on how many times you can use it? Example:

>> player types "sv_bka aerotipper"
                >> You will know be known as "aerotipper", this will remain for 2 weeks. Please see an admin to update sooner.
                This way when regulars are asked about why the ? player has an asterisk next to their name, they can explain what it means and tell them to type "sv_bka" and the name they want in console. Less administrative headache, since the first people the player will ask are the regulars who can't do anything about it.
                Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Players may now execute sv_name to set their "Better Known As" name (BKA). There is a 3-week cooldown on this player command.

sv_name also sets player name to match (player name can be changed anytime via conventional methods).

A player appears on the scoreboard with an asterisk whenever his name and sv_name (BKA) differ.

View any player's BKA (and any other aliases) at any time with the sv_whois command.

Admins may change any BKA at any time. Admins setting a player's BKA does /not/ reset the player's cooldown.

Comment

To be clear, most players will never care about sv_name -- it's really only relevant when an admin has given you a BKA, and you wish to change it for yourself.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X