Growing Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Problem

I'm starting to see a growing problem with "members" of the server; this would include anyone with a letter next to their name.

Now I understand the draw to get players to join our community by either signing the primer or going one step further by purchasing a subscription; what I have an issue with over the past few weeks is that many of the new members and even some of the old members are being mouthy or disrespectful towards new comers or even other members. I take being a guardian on this server seriously and try to promote the best environment possible for new and old members alike. I've had to remind people many times over about the values of respect and sportsmanship towards others on the server.

Now I know there is plenty of ribbing that goes on the server amongst members, which I'm fine with, and partake in a lot of the time in good nature; that's not what I'm talking about here. I see a lot of condescending tones amongst members and constantly have to remind them to be nice because when they became a member they agreed to uphold the community that makes TG so great. I've seen a little abuse particularly from newer P's that think they have the right to mouth off to others because they have a letter next to their name and to a certain extent I've seen this from some S's as well. Just because you have a letter next to your name doesn't give you the right to become an ******* to others; I don't care if you're a paying member or not.

The message we have been putting across to people that have joined recently is that if you "sign" our forums primer you get a semi-reserved slot on the server. In theory this is fine but I'd like to see a certain tweak to the process. The regulars on the server tend to know the other regulars and we are what make the server a draw for newcomers. My proposal is two fold:

1.) Primer signers get a semi-reserved slot like they always have. Create a higher level slot between "P" and "S" called "R" for regulars. I don't know what you can do for coding but the R level would have higher slot preference than a P. R's could be bumped up after a certain amount of played time on the server or if A's or S's feel they should be promoted. This will also give a little better distinction to those new comers about a clearer hierarchy and something to work towards. Generally people respond better to someone they know is higher up on the food chain.

2.) Make the guardian role a little more static with who has the ability and responsibilities that come with its title. More often than not I have to relay to those that have the privilege of the g, G, or T to make the necessary adjustments on the server to those being unruly or disrespectful of others. It's fine if they want to have the ability to execute authority, but I don't see many that are signed up that actually follow through with upholding the server rules without reminding from others. They should be active in their approach to maintaining a positive community. The short of it is that I wish I had my g more because I see many instances where those that have it fail to carry out its duties.

Take from my long post what you will but I've talked to other members and they've seen a growing sense of sass mouth from members across the board. I hope we can do better to curtail this growing problem.

Re: Growing Problem

I've seen this occasionally myself, and I think I've brought it up once before but I'm not sure anyone saw it.

Either way, for the most part this is a non-issue, but this does happen once in a while.

Comment

It was pretty frequent most of this past week. I had to deal with people a couple times each day of this week.

Comment

Ah, that might explain it. I've started playing less NS2 this week, haha.

But yeah, I agree, this was one big reason why in a thread a couple weeks ago I advocated not telling people to sign up on the forums for a slot, because then people view it ONLY for the slot, and not what signing the primer actually meant - accepting the rules of the community. The slot was to be a bonus of accepting the rules, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by miragezors View Post
          It was pretty frequent most of this past week. I had to deal with people a couple times each day of this week.
          Your following through with upholding anyone with a letter is commendable, and reminding others and enforcing it if necessary is what everyone should be doing. This is all personal opinion, not admin fiat, Wyz will provide anything official here.

As for additional roles, I'm going to disagree by reminding everyone of the current roles
          ? > 'stranger', in that they haven't signed the primer or are a supporting member. They deserve the same respect and should be informed of how the community expects games to be played.
          S > Supporting Member, may or may not be a primer signer, but is a community member and should be familiar with community standards.
          P > Primer signer, has agreed to personally uphold

A > Admin
          T > Temp Admin who is otherwise a T >, some abilities to handle players when Admins aren't around and must understand the primer
          g > Guardian who is otherwise a P > , some abilities to handle players when Admins and Temp Admins aren't around and must understand the primer

Since the distinction between signing the primer and having agreed to support the community, more roles really aren't necessary, as a ? > regular who has played on the server for years and simply hasn't chosen to be part of the overall TG community is a regular and deserves the same respect as anyone else. A P> who plays a lot isn't expected to enforce the rules or get a benefit for playing more often anymore than any other P > because they are announcing their personal intentions and played time doesn't show one's outlook or behavior other than consistently supporting or contradicting it.

Those who are primer signers that want to do more sign up as a guardian, and they are very appreciated for providing the support when needed. Making the Temp Admins and Guardian usage more fluid is definitely a consideration though.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Continue to call them out and don't forget there is a Contact an Admin area for constant abusers.
            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
              I advocated not telling people to sign up on the forums for a slot, because then people view it ONLY for the slot, and not what signing the primer actually meant - accepting the rules of the community. The slot was to be a bonus of accepting the rules, not the other way around.
              This is huge. HUGE. I've said it before on the server, and people typically respond with tired fatigue. "But Wyz," their body language says, "that's so much work."

The strangers' question: "How do I get a slot?"

Common response: "Sign up in the forums." This is the worst response, as it's literally incorrect, and it's too often delivered with an inflection that says "you're worth five words". 30,000 people have Tactical Gamer forum accounts. We've not told the NS2 server about each of them.

Common response: "Sign the Primer." Without proper context (which is often omitted), this is practically incorrect. Per the spirit of Dark's quote above, the purpose of the Primer is to get people to INITIALLY ORIENT THEMSELVES about how we're different and then TAKE A MOMENT and DECIDE if they're on board -- and only THEN "Sign the Primer."

My longer response, with proper context, which I would encourage anyone to adopt: "There's a sticky thread in our NS forum called "Required Reading". It explains our rules and explains how the server is special. If you read all of that and decide you like what you see, the LAST[1] LINK in that thread is a document you can sign, showing that you agree with everything you've just read. That document is called the [TGNS] Primer, and signing that turns your '?' into a 'P', which makes you less likely to get bumped by reserved slots."

And, just as some among us would encourage those trying to enforce rules to have conviction and be leaders, I would encourage anyone to offer a response like mine after someone else has finished blurting out "sign up in the forums" or, simply, "sign the primer".

How you introduce new friends to our tenets and their importance directly affects the quality of the social and gameplay experience you have here. Any fool can create a forum account. I know anyone can sign a document without reading it, but explain to people that is IS important that they READ IT. ALL OF IT.

[1] it's last BY DESIGN
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I agree with snooggums that adding more roles isn't the answer. Anyone with a "P" by his name should be considered "regular" enough to be acting the way mirage expects us to act (including the friendly nonsense he cited -- the goofing off that's enjoyed responsibly among friends). The rOles we have already are arguably too confusing, and experience makes it clear that these designations only go so far toward predicting behavior.

mirage (and anyone else who identified with his OP): thank you for your efforts and leadership. Let the admins know privately (PM or CAA forum) if there's anyone who stands (actively or passively) between you and doing the right thing.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

The strangers' question: "How do I get a slot?"
                  I've always just told them to visit the site and that there's a sticky thread in the NS forum that explains what to do. If they can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes finding and reading the sticky thread then they can do without IMO.
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Ohhh... I like that better (less voice chatter for us, more sense of ownership for them), inviting them to ask questions in the forums if they need help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X