Bots to help seed server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bots to help seed server?

Thought I'd throw on yet another task, but is it possible for players to add bots to the server when seeding to help fill it quicker? Been playing around with this mod and its got a slick implementation for adding bots directly from the menu:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=163433611

Even just using the console, you can use something like "addbot 2 5" (add 5 bots to team 2 aliens) etc...

It also calculates your accuracy and such and aliens have full upgrades, might be fun with everybody on marines fighting waves of skulks. It'd be automatically running on an empty server for people to add bots, up until a certain playercount. Thoughts?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Bots to help seed server?

Sounds like more fun than combat!
    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I don't really know.. some people get annoyed when joining a server of bots, as it feels like they were deceived somehow into thinking it was an active/full server.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
        I don't really know.. some people get annoyed when joining a server of bots, as it feels like they were deceived somehow into thinking it was an active/full server.
        Maybe it can be advertised as such when they join? A welcome screen that simply says: Bots are for seeding and feeding; get in on the action until a real game starts!! ;)
        sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, people in a "guardian" role could add bots to the old NS1 server, and it worked very well. It was much easier to waste time with a bunch of bots than it was just bouncing around the RR.

I think it's a great idea if we can find an appropriate mod and get it working correctly.

Plus, at 2 PM (Mountain Time) when my kids go down for a nap and I click on NS2 and see 2 of 23 in our server, I don't want to waste my 2 hours of nap time trying to seed a server when I know it'll be full when the kids go to bed later. I figure a lot of people will initially respond the same way I will and join up in a bot match with 16 of 23. With that being said, I don't think we should have bots alone in an empty server.

Mom
          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
          Forever Perplexed

Comment

Just acknowledging this thread. Lots of irons in the fire atm, but I like the spirit of this idea, and I suspect I can implement in a way that limits the "wtf bots" reaction.

No ETA.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

So... last stand with bot only aliens? Can't wait! :D
              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

The mod I listed lets you add bots to a certain team without regard to team size limitations. So you can have a few marines fighting 8 aliens if you wanted. It doesn't work with 253 yet, really all that's needed is an ability to add bots only to a certain team which I don't think you can do with NS2 vanilla.

Comment

This would be pretty nice, actually. One of the only times I play is in the mornings (US Central) and it's pretty dead, but some of the most fun I ever had in NS1 was Human Marines vs Bot Aliens. Like a 4v12 and it was loads of fun. I could see that sort of good time in the mornings with those bots.

Comment

I'd be up for trying this.

Comment

Just an update, it is not necessary to have a mod to add bots to a certain team. The commands are already in the vanilla game:

addbot 3 1 (adds 3 bots to team 1 - marines)
                      addbot 8 2 (adds 8 bots to team 2 - aliens)

^ Commands SMs? could use in console to add bots.

removebot 3 1 (removes 3 bots from marines)
                      removebot 8 2 (removes 8 bots from aliens)

Map change removes all bots automatically.

That is all o7

Comment

sh_bots is now available to Guardians and Temp Admins on the server. Play with up to 25 stock NS2 bots until 10 humans are present (untested -- can you confirm?: the bots should disappear at the teamjoin of the 10th human).

Example usages:

sh_bots 1
                        sh_bots 15

sh_bots -1
                        sh_bots -25

When bots are present, they're forced to Aliens while humans are forced to Marines.

I'd love to use smarter bots in the future, if I can find and integrate them.

I anticipate defects with this code, so please report them.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This was so much fun! Seeding servers won't be an issue now, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

I'd love to use smarter bots in the future, if I can find and integrate them.
                            Assuming you used the default bots the bots in the mod that aeroripper linked in the OP are significantly better than the vanilla bots. They are better than many players around your average pub these days...

Comment

Ah, yes. I should have mentioned that I looked into that mod, but its maintainers claim it's broken in build 254. No ETA.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X