Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shine Admin Mod (wish list, and megathread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shine Admin Mod (wish list, and megathread)

This thread is a collection of suggestions to improve server experience using shine mod, figured it might be easier to start a new thread with all of these.

1) Auto-Vote menu at round end and custom maps

Remove many custom maps from the auto-vote menu that displays at round end. Only keep a few of the better ones to choose alongside the official maps. There should always be 3 official maps to vote for, and one custom map alongside. There should never be a auto-vote menu where customs maps are the only choice.

Maps to keep in auto-vote system:
    ns2_descent
    ns2_docking
    ns2_mineshaft
    ns2_refinery
    ns2_summit
    ns2_tram
    ns2_veil
    ns2_biodome (soon)

ns2_eclipse_beta
    ns2_tanith
    ns2_jambi

Maps to remove entirely from the auto-vote system:
    ns2_triad
    ns2_turtle
    ns2_plant
    ns2_tengu
    ns2_clandestine
    ns2_agora
    ns2_skyfalls
    ns2_redemption
    ns2_kodiak

These maps would still be available to vote for manually if player-started, or admin change of course. I'm a bit biased since I love the old ns1 maps, but a lot of the ones I've put down to remove seem to kill the server faster than tanith, eclipse, or jambi. There is also a bug that lists "ns_tanith" twice under the manual vote menu, which is confusing.

2) Text messaging on screen

TGNS specific functions displayed on screen should be in green and white to match thematically with TG colors, and give distinction from generic shine messages. It's currently yellow or plain white, and I think this is more eye catching and unifying. It also calls attention to our custom plugins. For example:

[TGNS] Communication, teamwork, and ability to hear voicecomm is required

[BALANCE] aeroripper is randomizing teams per win/loss and ns2stats This is currently [BALANCE] in yellow.

[TGNS] aeroripper has joined the server. o7
    Supporting members make this server possible!

If possible all default shine messages should be in the default yellow color. I think I got the wording right in the examples.
    3) Menu options for players

This is probably already on the list, but figured I'd put it down here anyways. These are the buttons it should display for certain classes of players when "M" is pushed. This is during normal gameplay, not when auto-voting at round end. If possible with shine, color the words to define functionality to continue unification of function aesthetically. Green is still TGNS information, red is reserved for admin functions.

? Players
    TGNS FAQ (when clicked, it opens the in-game browser to new FAQ sticky. See extended description of this at end of post.)
    Surrender
    Unstuck

P Players
    TGNS PRIMER (when clicked, it opens the in-game browser to TGNS primer sticky)
    TGNS GUARDIAN (when clicked, it opens the in-game browser to the guardian opt-in sticky)
    Surrender
    Unstuck

ADMIN (if opted in and guardian conditions met)

>>SUBMENU>>

sh_help (opens CLEARED console with print out of sh_help which shows detailed explanation of available commands and usage, or associated sticky inside in game browser) This should be at the very top centered.
    sh_gb

SM Players
    TGNS PRIMER (when clicked, it opens the in-game browser to TGNS primer sticky)
    TGNS TEMP ADMIN (when clicked, it opens the in-game browser to TGNS temp admin sticky)
    Surrender
    Unstuck

ADMIN (if opted in and temp admin conditions met)

>>SUBMENU>>

sh_help (opens CLEARED console with only a print out of sh_help which shows detailed explanation of available commands and usage, or associated sticky inside in game browser) This should be prominent at the very top centered.
    sh_changelevel
    sh_kick
    sh_balance
    ... etc rest of the commands listed ...
    I added the TGNS FAQ up there for the strangers, as a quick page for strangers to go to get basic questions answered. Granted, sometimes regulars to the server give them a good overview, othertimes not so much. This is a quick way for them to get the information they need more accurately. It should be a short Q and A of what the symbols mean, how our reserved slot system works, what these 'goodbye' and 'affirm' messages are, and that voicecomm is required on our server. Then a link to the primer and associated reading.

I made an example version:

Welcome to the TGNS server! Tactical Gamer has a long and storied history of providing mature gameplay across a wide breadth of games. As a founding principle, The Tactical Gamer Primer has served most of these games well, through defining basic tenets of the community and the games being played within.

Q: What do the ?, P, S, T, A symbols mean next to player names?
    A:

? = This person is new to the server, but has not read our primer and agreed to our server rules.
    P = This person is a primer signer, one who has acknowledged our rules and agrees to abide by them. They receive a semi-reserved slot and will be less likely to be kicked first by our reserved slot system.
    S = Supporting Member. They help pay the bills. Full reserved slot.
    T = Temp Admin. Supporting members, in absence of a full Admin on their team, have some admin capabilities. Only one per team.
    A= Full admin.

Q: Why do I get kicked sometimes from the server?
    A: The reserved slot system logic prioritizes supporting members, then primers signers in order of being bumped from server during peak times.

Q: What's this 'affirm' and 'goodbye' messages I keep seeing?
    A:

The "affirm" functionality allows primer signers and supporting members the ability to 'affirm' a stranger to the server, so he will be lower on the list to get bumped by the reserved slot logic during peak times.

The 'goodbye' functionality allows primer signers and supporting members the ability to remove a disruptive player in absence of a temp, or full admin.

Q: How does this 'balance' work?
    A: Bunch of technical jargon here.
    This got quite long quickly!!! I tried to make this as easy to read as possible. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by aeroripper; 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Shine Admin Mod (wish list, and megathread)

Good read. Thank you. Not sure how long some of that will take, or if technical barriers will get in the way.

I took a quick stab at an "Info" button as a proof of concept. I'll refine it in time.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Checked it out today and it looks great so far. Some feedback:

1) M > Admin > sh_changelevel (or any other command), the associated sh_changelevel usage button that comes up should output the correct syntax and detailed explanation of how it works on screen, removing the need to use sh_help in console. Maybe have it list on screen, and in console in case they miss it.

2) The 'INFO" button could display something about our reserved slot system and how it works, and how to become a SM. I like that strangers now have easy access to detailed information about the server, beyond advice from regulars.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I doubt 1 will happen due to technical limitations. I will work on 2, in time.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

First point from OP should be largely addressed now. Does ns2_tanith still appear twice in menus (don't understand that)? What else about the maps in the admin menu is problematic now?

Comment

I had a thought last night about other methods of ending the game if a concede vote succeeds. The current "win or lose" mechanic is fine, but maybe there could be some other variations.

For example, the top player from each team is teleported to the same room, where a base marine and a skulk duel it out in sudden death. Or the entire alien team become oni and the marines become some flavor of exo, again in sudden death. Or the aliens get one onos and everyone else is gorge with only healspray, and the marines get one exo, and all the other marines are equipped with only welders. If the onos or exo dies, the other team wins. Or axe-armed JP marines vs bite-only lerks.

In any case, I think there are some fun things that could be done with "win or lose." Anyone else have suggestions? I'm just making more work for you, Wyz, but the thread does say wishlist...
            aka Incendiary!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X