enforce stock clients?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enforce stock clients?

How would you guys feel about our requiring 100% stock clients?

I know we do enhanced consistency checking at the moment, and I know that allows /some/ client HUD/etc mods, and I'm wondering how you guys would feel if we technically enforced a requirement that everyone on the server was playing with a completely stock client.

Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

I hesitated creating this thread, as I've not heard any complaint about the status quo in weeks, and lord knows we've got enough going on customization-wise on the server, but I was wondering everyone's thoughts. If this conversation doesn't get counter-productive, I might put this to a vote after discussion.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: enforce stock clients?

I don't think the server should be completely stock, as a few things should be allowed IMO. Examples:

Allowed

1) Custom crosshairs
    2) Custom alien vision (ala, minimal vision mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=98879398)
    3) Minihuds (ala, minihud mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...chtext=minihud)
    4) Custom minimaps (ala, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=108936055)

^ Those have negligible impact on the game. I don't use the minihud since it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Minimal alien vision is useful since the new alien vision gives me a headache, and the outlining isn't done as well as it is in that mod.

Not Allowed

1) Custom models or skins (which sucks, because there's some good total conversion ones out there). But can be used to gain a very unfair advantage.
    2) Custom sounds
    3) Everything else
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

^ I agree with aeroripper.

If/when they give an option to easily blacklist or whitelist custom models and skins they should be default imo.
      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I use stock everything, so I'm fine with whatever.

Comment

I have the exact same opinion as aeroripper for the first three items, I hadn't heard of the custom minimaps but they look reasonable from the workshop link and I would be good with them.

The alien vision is a big one after the last patch, the new vision is awful even in the dark.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I support aeroripper. I would also love to see a mod that returns alien vision back to its former glory (orphan black get on it!)
            DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

I support aero also.
              Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I don't care what people have as long as we don't have pink skulks and invisible gun skins. Giving someone something pretty or a minor aid is one thing a complete advantage is another.
                Lights Out!

Comment

In my opinion, custom crosshairs are almost a requirement.
                  The stock crosshairs are so god awful that I can't play without switching them out to just a little dot.

I support making the server consistency checking more stringent, but I more or less agree with aero's list.
                  I don't use #3, but I do use #1, 2 and 4. Unfortunately, #4 has never worked on TG as it was always blocked.

Looking at those screenshots again, I am reminded just how saddened I am that the Detailed Maps mod is no longer being maintained.
                  They were fantastically detailed, and the coloring made the maps so easy to read. :(
                  I remember it improved my ability to play mineshaft multi-fold, since I could finally tell where there were walls and vents in the map.

In any case, I believe excluding those specific mods would be quite helpful.
                  I used to use Rantology's "redux" infestation mod because it looked a bit more awesome, but it also didn't work on TG, so I disabled it. It also appears to have been removed or something.
                  Otherwise, only other somewhat useful mod I recall friends using were that one that changed the gorge's heal spray into a stream of hearts or crosses, or whatnot.

Since we're posting links here, there is one recent one I came across that seemed interesting, but I haven't played with it, and it also doesn't appear to have been updated for b254 yet, judging by the latest comment.
                  Team Info HUD - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=145242711

Comment

^ I played a handful of rounds with a server that had that on, and it got in the way more than it was helpful ^^
                    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Aero, can you elaborate?
                      It looks fairly useful from a strictly "on-paper" point of view, if you had experience with it, I'd love to hear what the issues with it were.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                        I don't think the server should be completely stock, as a few things should be allowed IMO. Examples:

Allowed

1) Custom crosshairs
                        2) Custom alien vision (ala, minimal vision mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=98879398)
                        3) Minihuds (ala, minihud mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...chtext=minihud)
                        4) Custom minimaps (ala, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=108936055)

^ Those have negligible impact on the game. I don't use the minihud since it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Minimal alien vision is useful since the new alien vision gives me a headache, and the outlining isn't done as well as it is in that mod.

Not Allowed

1) Custom models or skins (which sucks, because there's some good total conversion ones out there). But can be used to gain a very unfair advantage.
                        2) Custom sounds
                        3) Everything else
                        1, 3 and 4 are good and necessary. The latest changes to crosshairs have made me unable to use the shotgun to any great affect because the crosshair is so inconspicuous and the server currently does not allow me to fix that. But 2 is a definite no-no. Alien vision is basically a legal visibility hack (fullbright/neon skins) and letting people change how it affects them should not be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil.Iguana View Post
                          1, 3 and 4 are good and necessary. The latest changes to crosshairs have made me unable to use the shotgun to any great affect because the crosshair is so inconspicuous and the server currently does not allow me to fix that. But 2 is a definite no-no. Alien vision is basically a legal visibility hack (fullbright/neon skins) and letting people change how it affects them should not be considered.
                          Regular alien vision has worked that way since the beta.

Since aliens are primarily melee, giving them a visual benefit that is apparently ok for edge highlighting already. All the customs ones do is address how ugly the current implementation is by making the colors for alien vision less painful to look at.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

What snooggums said, and the fullbright/neon skins would fall under #1 of aeros not allowed list with custom models or skins (at least until they allow something more than on or off).
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

If we have to do it, I support having a mod blacklist. The overhead maintaining a whitelist that keeps everyone happy here seems disproportionately large compared to my perception of the size of the problem. If we are just trying to weed out lazy trolls, blacklisting obviously bad mods should be enough. A whitelist invites justification/discussion for each mod in the whitelist, which will now be seen as endorsements. It looks like most people are OK with aerorippers list (so am I), but would things like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=111670146 make the cut? Its close to minihuds but takes it a step further...

Basically, without seeing how many people mod their game unfairly on our server, I ask naively: is this an actual problem?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X