NS2 Badges Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 Badges Mod

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but the NS2 badges mod could really gussy up our current lettering system:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=99887628

I'm against having a bunch of different, random icons for players, but instead just replacing our letters with icons next to players names, and when hovering over them in game. I borrowed the icons from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=175660244 the nostalgia badge mod, and made some adjustments to fit our needs. All this could be changed easily enough, or with other custom made icons:

Not sure if we want ? players to have an icon, but I threw it up there for giggles. The only other icon allowed should be only the NS2 developer icon, in case we have one visit the server :D

Thoughts? Feedback?
    Last edited by aeroripper; 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: NS2 Badges Mod

If we went with the icons (I support it) I'd like to see it kept uniform so the ?'s would still get an icon be it a boring icon.
    DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

What about something like this?

Comment

I love the rainbow pattern, and the cool to hot color order. I would go with fewer colors to cause less confusion with new players, and the Temp Admin and Guardian would be yellow only when they would currently show the T>, G>, or g> tags.

Admin - Red
        Temp Admin - Orange
        Guardian (SM or Primer, they have the same role) - Yellow
        SM - Green
        Primer - Blue
        Stranger - White

I don't think the strangers should have a different icon than the rest, they should feel included even if they aren't as colorful.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

How's this?

Comment

Those sure are pretty. Thank you for the selfless contribution. My problem is that the letters appear in voicecomm notifications (and some other non-scoreboard display I can't recall atm), and that gets lost when we switch to images, yes?
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yes, I believe so. I think the text chat (both too all, and teamchat) also list the letters. That is unless there is some workaround to add the letters through custom code.

Alternatively, I could do something like this:

1) Fade, or remove the server icon. Overlap or replace with associated letter.
              2) Remove server icon entirely, keep colored arrows to denote each tier, and maybe color the letters as well.

IMO, the icons look great as is. But I'll do a mockup of one with the letters to see what it looks like.

Comment

I don't suppose there is a way to color code the letter prefix for text to match the icon to make the transition smoother.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

About 5 minutes of editing (spacing could be better):

Yay. Nay?

Not sure if we'll end up getting this mod on the server or not, either way its been a fun little project for a couple of hours.

Comment

Sounds like a fun idea, I did play with Huze's badge mod a long while back.
                    It likely won't display in chat messages and stuff, though.

As for the icons, I would go for the letters.
                    The letters are already an established metric being used in TG, it would be difficult to "re-train" everyone on the various colors.
                    As well, strangers asking about the icons would likely find it harder to remember colors rather than letters that typically are associated to their role.

Comment

I think we have too many names and types of levels. I wonder if we should only give icons to s, p, and admins. We have so many, I have no idea what gurdian is. Though I think Icons look a little more polished instead a clan looking tag in front of our name. Maybe something a little more intuitive like bronze, silver, and gold. I don't know if our admins are on enough to push a different type of icons. If there are any problems, many of have no issue contacting wyz, etc. With the server population not like it use to be, I find it hard to seed servers and keep people in the game. It would be nice to make things more tailored to getting people in the server, but that is a new topic.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

What if you combined these with the text labels? Then Temp admins and Guardians keep stock icons, but the letter signifies any differences?

Comment

I think we should keep it simple. We have to many levels. It is easy to tell people p=reg, s= regs who pay, a=admin. As we don't have an active group of admins, I just say use one icon for all. Let all SMs use sh_balance. While I do like our P's we should give them another reason to become SM. Worst case we could always have a vote balance if a lot of non regs are online. It is annoying to describe all the different levels and it is even worst to tell people to read the info or forums.

If the admins dont want to give the tmp admin sm's an admin badge, we could always have gold = admin access and have a S or A in the icon to show if what they are with the level of access. If you guys want to show new people on the server we should have the color be green.

I like Areo's idea, though having a colors that could have meaning ie gold, silver, and bronze. Granted there is green, yellow, and red, but those to mean good, warning, and critical.
                          Lights Out!

Comment

I think we have enough levels now that Wyz has distinguished the roles of guardians a little better the past couple weeks. I don't think it takes much time to explain those that want to know what the levels are and the options that come with them. I myself am a guardian and like taking the time to explain to people about our community; I've actually helped a couple people join our community the past week or so due to the explanations. It is a guardian's obligation to be an advocate of the TG community and make sure newcomers know what our community stands for in the gaming world. Simply eliminating that role just opens up the server to trolls and an unhealthy community. What you have to understand specifically about the guardian role is those that sign up due so to become advocates of the server and ensure the gaming is held to TG standards; eliminating that role I believe is unwise as not every member wants this responsibility and subsequently why it is an "opt-in" position.

Comment

I don't think there's too many by any means. I'm a strict "if you don't take the time to figure it out, you don't really deserve to be here" kinda person when it comes to TG. I like to think of all the effort that the people who make this possible have gone through to get the server to be able to host the games we enjoy so much. That's not to mention the countless dollars spent over the years by SMs who want to keep those games the way they are. To me, it's just another pile of sandbags people need to climb over, and that makes it a great way to weed out people who likely wouldn't fit in well anyway.

Maybe I'm a little more hardline than most... :P

With that being said, I think that the distinction between a stranger and a regular should not be part of the game. I think it's demoralizing for regulars to see a ton of strangers on their team and a ton of regulars on the opposite team. I also think that, in certain situations, it's a server killer.

I understand the need to distinguish between guardians and admin and temp admin... but not the need to distinguish between regulars and strangers. With that being said, the people who play often enough are going to know strangers with or without a question mark. But if we had it not being shown in the player list, it would be up to each and every person to determine how they feel about all those people without S or P or ? on their name.

Basically, I'd like to remove that "crap we're full of question marks" internal response people get when they look at the teams and replace it with "well, I recognize that guy and... who is that.. and... crap the game is starting". Lol. But I also realize that most people will still see the question marks by names anyway, even if they aren't there... if you get my meaning.

Mom
                              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                              Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...