Tonight (Fri, 9/6): Captains Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight (Fri, 9/6): Captains Games

I'll be on the server tonight making a first effort to bring Captains Games back to the server. I've got a first draft of my Shine extension to facilitate them, and we'll be battle testing it tonight so that I can improve it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Tonight (Fri, 9/6): Captains Games

I'll be there later. 8 PM Mountain Time... like 10 or so Eastern. But, I'll be there nonetheless. :)

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Yay! I'll be there :D
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Don't see a time listed, but I might show up if there's room.

Comment

I'm getting a Server Mod Out Of Date error. Anyone else?

Comment

Was a good attempt, the games weren't great (as we didn't know anyone), though more importantly I think we impressed a lot of new comers. One guy already friended me and joined the forum. I think we need to do this more often as it does make loyal fans.
            Lights Out!

Comment

I'm really sorry for the chaos tonight, all. I'll try to make that better next time. I did make good progress on the Captains Game mod, so that's good.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

No need to apologize, I think everyone had a blast. Only problem was not knowing pugs on the server so it wad hard to get a balanced game. Every change is a step in the right direction. We just need to do captains games more often
                Lights Out!

Comment

I wasn't able to join from the other server since it locks new joiners out (same with about 6 other SMs on other server). I understand the rationale for locking out new joiners (making a plan with your team. and bumping people involved in that plan is disruptive), but captains games are the time SMs want to play most. Some possible solutions:

1) Display a message on both servers when a captains game is activated. Such as: "Captains game is starting on Chuckle/Taunt, SMs have 2 minute window to join freely." It would repeat every 30 seconds or so. At least that way we have a chance to get in before its locked out for the next hour or more. Once the 2 minutes (or some number) is up, the server is locked and a message indicates so to everybody on both servers. "Chuckle is now locked, captains game has started"

2) Alternatively, only allow SMs to bump non-SMs during planning phase of match (before each team 'readies'). When the readies go up on both teams, the server is locked for the duration of the captains game, unless somebody leaves. This could prove to be disruptive, but less so once the match has already started. Current bump logic would remain, as each team will still have 1 stranger or primer signer each. Primer signer taking preference if the rest of server is filled with SMs.

Thoughts?

Comment

Well, normally Captain's mode is only enabled when there are a high number of regs already present on the server. Last night felt like more of an exception because Wyz was testing on random servers with whoever was present at the time, so there were more strangers than normal. In the first case, there wouldn't really be many strangers to bump; at best you'd be bumping the P's to get more S's in. In the latter case which occurred last night, I would normally say under that situation where the Captain's mode is being activated with a good population of strangers still on the server that nothing prevents you from doing the same on the other server. I say normally though, because last night was an exception - you probably couldn't because the code was still under testing.

In either case, allowing the 4-6 strangers to stay with us through the Captain's game last night I feel gave them an extremely positive experience of TGNS.
                    Partially in response to Solarity as well, but I felt when we held that last Captain's game with me and Wyz as Captains, the teams were fairly even as I avoided the obvious Happycat+Denalb stack. As well, the strangers on our team weren't actually completely unknown - I had played with most of them just the previous round which started as a 2v2, and found them very responsive to my orders, so I drafted them into the team again. I think they had a great time, and they actually did not do too badly considering the level of teamwork and that they were willing to go Gorge and whatever else was necessary.

All that said, I wouldn't mind slightly more cross-server interaction; a simple message displayed on-screen about special events going on on the other server would be pretty cool.
                    I also wondered tonight if the admin @chat works across servers.

Comment

I agree with areo that captains games tend to be when a lot of people want to play the most. We could set up a steam group for people interested in captains games so folks would have a chance to join beforehand. Maybe when a few folks are interested make sure we have two captains ready and send the invite stating that a captains game will begin after the current map ends or something, and leave the captains lock as is.
                      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

We've had this steam group open for some time:

Tactical Gamer NS Waiting Room

^ Join the steam group, when we're doing captains games one of the many admins (including me) can post an announcement that will show when the captains games is start via a steam popup as well, even if you're out of game.

Comment

Maybe we can get @ or # be cross server talk as well, might be something that wyz might enjoy. In any case donat told me about capts i told everyone on the other server on voice and all chat. He said join before it is full.

Also set times might help.
                          Lights Out!

Comment

I also find it frustrating to be locked out of the server because of captains. Personally I find that to be a drawback that overshadows any benefit of playing captains games at all - being able to join when I want is more important to me, which is why I'm an SM. For that matter I find captains games to be a bit overrated - the coordination always takes ages and the game quality is identical to normal games IMO.

At the least it would be helpful if the title was updated when reserve slots are disabled so I would know from the Steam server browser that I can't join.

Comment

Our captains game tonight was pretty fun; though I was on the winning team both times. All in all it was pretty quick to choose players, make strategy, and switch sides. I can see where you're coming from but we had two servers full tonight and you could have played on the non-captains server.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X