X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging scoreboard user classes?

YerMom posted in another thread something interesting:

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
    I don't think there's too many by any means. I'm a strict "if you don't take the time to figure it out, you don't really deserve to be here" kinda person when it comes to TG. I like to think of all the effort that the people who make this possible have gone through to get the server to be able to host the games we enjoy so much. That's not to mention the countless dollars spent over the years by SMs who want to keep those games the way they are. To me, it's just another pile of sandbags people need to climb over, and that makes it a great way to weed out people who likely wouldn't fit in well anyway.

Maybe I'm a little more hardline than most... :P

With that being said, I think that the distinction between a stranger and a regular should not be part of the game. I think it's demoralizing for regulars to see a ton of strangers on their team and a ton of regulars on the opposite team. I also think that, in certain situations, it's a server killer.

I understand the need to distinguish between guardians and admin and temp admin... but not the need to distinguish between regulars and strangers. With that being said, the people who play often enough are going to know strangers with or without a question mark. But if we had it not being shown in the player list, it would be up to each and every person to determine how they feel about all those people without S or P or ? on their name.

Basically, I'd like to remove that "crap we're full of question marks" internal response people get when they look at the teams and replace it with "well, I recognize that guy and... who is that.. and... crap the game is starting". Lol. But I also realize that most people will still see the question marks by names anyway, even if they aren't there... if you get my meaning.

Mom
    I agree with YerMom regarding differentiating ?> and regulars, for his very well written reasons.

The way I see it, tags/icons serve a few purposes:
    1. Alert new players that this server is different
    2. Inform new players who speaks with authority to represent TG
    3. Entice new players to participate more in the community if they like what they see

Taking it to a bit of an extreme, I would support an experiment that removed certain distinctions to help
    a. reduce the amount of explaining in-game for new players
    b. reduce internal/negative bias for regulars (as described by YerMom)

As an experiment, I propose only showing 2 classes of icons on the scoreboard, and no tags:
    Admin Icon: For both admins and tempadmins, for non-regulars they should command the same respect. Any regulars know whose who and can look it up in the console IIRC.
    Supporter Icon: For Supporting Members, Gaurdians and Primer Signers, for non-regulars they should know these people understand and support the community.
    No Icon: For everyone else

If merging/hiding these classes of users actually complicates explanations / upsets people / hurts kittens, we can switch back, but I'd love to try it out.

Re: Merging scoreboard user classes?

It's good of you to think of the kittens.

I'll chew on this with the admins.

Thanks for the creative followup.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I am wondering if this is a moot point with the new badges introduced with reinforced. I think many people will assume the badge is just something from UWE, while I liked the icons, the addition of icons from UWE makes me wonder if this will clutter things up. A lot of people donated.
      Lights Out!

Comment

I think I agree with Solarity on the badges. For instance, he's a Supporter who is given TempAdmin, and he's a UWE supporter as well. Which badge displays by his name and scoreboard? Both?

I think the "?>" actually makes people want to register to remove it, that's the first thing I did in NS2 when I joined the server and saw I was one. On the other had, I do agree with Micro and Mom that the regulars (myself included) do look at the ? to A/T/S/P ratio on teams at the beginning of the match.

Yesterday we had a game where Traced and Denalb were placed on the same team by balance, yet the other team won because two ? players were really good. Balance looks like it's doing a lot better (Kudos Wyz!), and I guess people in the community need to understand that a ? can be an unknown, but trust the balance.

I'm up for testing either way, but I do like the way the ? marks promote people to join the forums and read the rules.

Comment

Could we just add another column in the score board listed as Member: Admin, Supporter, Regular, and Guest.

I think that would describe what we are wanting with out crowding the badge area. I think people will also notice it. I loved the badge idea, until UWE came out with there own.

On second thought, could we do a seperate column with a badge? I still advocate for intuitive colors:
          Gold=admin/tmpadmin
          Silver= supporting member
          Bronze= Primer
          Green= everyone else

We could have guardian be a hidden attribute and have TG be in all gold-bronze, while green would get the a "?".
          Lights Out!

Comment

Just linking, here, to what I did to address this thread's concern:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...wer-roles.html
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X