Is Wyzcrak really AFK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wyzcrak really AFK?

I've been trying to find an AFK plugin for our server. It's very full in the evenings, and several times on some nights the server ends up full with one or more AFKs. That's not good for gameplay, and it certainly isn't good for people waiting to join a full server.

I'm looking for a plugin that won't kick a player unless both of the following are true:
    - at least x *players are on the server
    - the player has been AFK for y *seconds
    (where x and y are both configurable)

Well, the problem is this... none of the AFK plugins I've found are reliable. Either they don't meet our needs or, worse yet, they randomly kick players who are anything but AFK.

I'm trying to "fix" one specific AMX plugin which meets, has correctly kicked AFK players in testing, but that has also kicked players incorrectly during REAL GAMES. To that end, I have modified the plugin to only ANNOUNCE a player as AFK instead of actually kicking them. This way, if it makes a mistake, no harm is done. It will simply ask "Is Wyzcrak really AFK?" on everyone's screen. For now, that will notify admins to take whatever action is truely necessary.

If it asks about you, and you're not AFK, be sure to let an admin know. ;)

However, and this is where everyone's help comes into play, I need as much information as you can offer about false AFK reports. Are you commander? Are you building as gorge? Are you guarding an area and haven't moved for some time? Did you just join the game? Have you just finished a game? There's no need to share this information with me immediately, as it might compromise information about your team or your strategy. But make a mental note in your head and get back to me later about what was happening when your name was announced by the plugin.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I need help figuring out why this plugin thinks people are AFK when they're not.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Or you can just type "here" when it asks the question. This way, if it asks "Is Ender here?" and I dont say "here" then you will know I am AFK and can kick me accordingly. So no info has to be given about what you're doing, and you dont have to remember to remind wyzcrak.

just my thought

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
      Or you can just type "here" when it asks the question. This way, if it asks "Is Ender here?" and I dont say "here" then you will know I am AFK and can kick me accordingly. So no info has to be given about what you're doing, and you dont have to remember to remind wyzcrak.

just my thought
      Now its sounding too much like roll call in a class room.

.... bob? here
      .....ed? here
      ..... joe? sup G
      ..... jackel? NO FREAKIN' PIE FOR YOU .... uhh *ahem* here!

Comment

It beats having to remember where you were when it says your name. I know for a fact I will forget.

Comment

Wyz, have you tried this one?:

http://www.modns.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34

I remember playing under Voogru's anti-afk plugin, and it seemed to work well. Being able to just nudge the mouse to dismiss the warning was very nice when doing some serious skulking.
          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Yes, that is the very MetaMod plugin we started with (not the AMX error-prone plugin mentioned above, that I have modified). It does not allow administrators to specify a minimum number of players that must be on the server before it starts kicking people. This was removed, as it prevented small numbers of players from "hanging out" in the ready room when the server was empty.

However, it was very stable, and acted reliably per its design. I'll add a post to that thread asking that the "minimum players" feature be added.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What happened to those plugins that used to ASK you if you were AFK, and then only kick you if you didn't reply?

Wyzcrak

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                Yes, that is the very MetaMod plugin we started with...However, it was very stable, and acted reliably per its design. I'll add a post to that thread asking that the "minimum players" feature be added.
                I could make that modification, but I don't have a windows build environment; all I could compile would be a linux plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  What happened to those plugins that used to ASK you if you were AFK, and then only kick you if you didn't reply?
                  Voogru's original asked if you were stuck, if you hadn't moved for a while. I could merge that functionality with the newer anti-afk / anti-RR-camping code, and make it ask you if you were AFK instead of stuck. Hmph, looks like I may need to dig out my copy of VisualC++ and try my hand at making a windows binary.

Comment

Or just don't compile it?
                    I die for my commander's sins.

Comment

Originally posted by SpOoNz
                      Or just don't compile it?
                      That's an option: let someone else compile it. But then I have no way to test until that third party is done, and I have to send it back each time I make a change. I'll take a crack at the code alterations in any case.

Comment

I decided it probably wasn't worth the effort to implement the "are you AFK?" menu, since the plugin should print a warning if it thinks you're away, and you can just nudge the mouse to reset the timer. I dropped in a bit of code so you can set nsa_min_players, the threshold at which AFK-checking begins. Not tested, not compiled, may cause the end of the universe as we know it:

http://www.blainekahle.com/ns/plugins/afkkick3.0c_1.zip

If you're familiar with compiling windows metamod plugins, and can work your way through Andy's setup, have a go at it.

Comment

the problem with afk plugins for NS is the idea behind motoin tracking...

in a server like ours it is very difficult to attest for a AFK or just someone not moving for strategic purposes...

and since we get motion almost every single game it makes finding a suitable AFK kicker possible.

Comment

yeah, but that's why there's the turning-detection that resets the AFK check. You can rotate without showing up on motion.

Comment

Here's the thing. This timer is most likely going to be set at 180 seconds. When's the last time you sat still.... didn't move at all... for three full minutes in Natural Selection... WHILE YOU WERE PLAYING?

It's nice to compensate for mouse gestures, but I just don't think it's critical.

Wyzcrak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X