Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captains Games no longer require an admin to start...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Games no longer require an admin to start...

Two commands are now available to all players, from the menu or the commandline:

sh_iwantcaptains
    sh_iwillcaptain

As a server's population use these commands, counts will appear on the screen telling how many more players and Captains are required to automatically switch the server to Captains Mode. The threshold is 82% of players (w/ two having volunteered for Captain -- these players are assumed to have also executed 'sh_iwantcaptains'). Once that threshold is reached, the current game (if any) is stopped, and Captains Mode is enabled.

Both captains should "ready" to start each round, and the server will automatically rotate to the next map (w/ vote) after two rounds are complete.

My design is to enable Captains Games when no admin is around to facilitate them.

No one (SM or not) may join the full server while Captains Mode is active. If this too much prevents SMs from realizing their SM benefit, we'll throttle the frequency with which each server allows Captains Games.

Please report defects, and please provide feedback.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Captains Games no longer require an admin to start...

You've outdone yourself here Wyz, I love both the idea and implementation! My only suggestion would be (as you mentioned earlier) to give Captains its own menu option, instead of being within the admin section.

I think simplifying the server letters (no S's shown, with supporting members still getting the same 'perks') is a huge step forward as well.

Comment

I've moved the Captains commands out of the Admin menu and into the Captains menu.

Defects and feedback, as usual, please.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Found some bugs with this last night:

1) Strangers can specify they want to be captain. Last night a stranger (along with myself as other captain) wasn't sure what a captains game was but hit the button he wanted to be a captain. After I told him it was essentially a pickup game he understood the basics of picking people, though. IMO, only primer signers and SMs should be able to be captains, as they're more familiar with the regulars and working of captains games. I wasn't on his team so I can't verify how the experience went. If possible, if a "C" can be added temporarily next to each captains name in this mode for the duration of the 2 rounds, it would be helpful since there was lots of questions on who was captain since it only displayed once.

2) After running sh_balance, then deciding we wanted captains after all, the mode would not activate properly even though we had 2 captains and enough people wanting it. The round started like any other non-captains round. We sh_changelevel the map to ns2_veil again, but captains didn't seem to work again after activating it again through required means and it was another normal functioning round. We just joined the teams we picked and playing it normally.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I can't speak to #2, but I've addressed #1: only Primer signers may be Captains, and "C" overrides all other letters on the scoreboard now for Captains.

Comment

It appears the bug I was attempting to describe appeared tonight again as well. This time everything was normal (no fancy balance stuff used). We had enough people that set it to captains, and 2 captains selected. The server displayed that "Concussion and Solitary are captains" message. After a few minutes or so, Concussion readied on marines and Solitary on aliens. It spit out the message "Only captains can ready/unready", even though both captains had readied. It seems to be broken, and is not recognizing the legal captains and won't start the game properly.

A number of people outside of the captains were attempting to type 'ready' to get it working as well, not sure if this would complicate any of the logic.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I think I've got things fixed now.

Apologies and thanks.

Comment

Did it change to allow people to be kicked during captains games now? Sure just happened to me as soon as I joined...

Comment

There's now a 5-minute force-start timer before both rounds of a Captains Game. Captains may still both ready to expedite, of course.

That first-round timer's 5 minutes /includes/ team picking. That's aggressive, but I'm hoping we can keep things moving crisply and make it work.

I want to keep this simple and go with what's described above, but I can adjust it if my first pass at this just creates too much heartache despite best efforts on the part of regular participants.

Comment

What about between the two games? I know last two nights, there's been a (needed) break to grad a drink, use the restroom, etc etc.

Comment

Round Two's five-minute timer begins roughly 30 seconds after the end of Round One.

Let's try it and see if we can be so fast.

Comment

Reminder: AFK kicker (2.5 minutes) remains enabled during Captains Games.

Comment

I was about to bring that up - the AFK kicker does funny things during Captain's rounds, such as think commanders are AFK in the chair/hive when they are briefing the team, and kicking players who are taking a bathroom break.
                          Can this be altered so that for the duration of the Captain's mode, the AFK kicker is either disabled, or increased in duration to something like 5 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                            Can this be altered so that for the duration of the Captain's mode, the AFK kicker is either disabled, or increased in duration to something like 5 minutes?
                            I second the motion.
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Agreed. If it really comes down to it, during a captains round we always have multiple Guardians around- it wouldn't be difficult to manually kick someone for being afk.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X