time to document some server behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to document some server behavior

Gonna work to improve our documentation a touch, both in and out of game. Where should I focus next? Slots logic? Guardian? Commands?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: time to document some server behavior

You'll see closed threads I'm creating where I'm trying to document some things. I'm including some/most of these threads in the Required Reading thread (though, I'm designating some of them as not-quite-required reading), and I'll link to some of them directly from the server's INFO menu.

Please do offer in /this/ thread any recommendations/corrections/questions regarding /those/ threads. I'll make modifications/corrections in those threads that seem like a good idea.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

About bumping, it says that all else equal, the player that gets bumped is the player who has been on LONGER. Is that right?

Comment

That's right.

Comment

I think the things that should be on the info menu should be directed primarily at the '?' people on our server, and primer signers with less knowledge of the technical side of our plugins. Some examples:

1) Scoreboard letters
          2) Affirm stranger (could link to reserve slot technical thread after brief explanation)
          3) 'GB', not sure if the server still displays this message regularily. May not be needed.
          4) Reserved Slot Logic (technical)
          5) Balance Mod (technical)
          6) Contact admin (links to post showing current full admins info and admin contact forum)

On the left side of the info button:

1) TGNS Primer (already exists)
          2) TGNS Forums (already exists)
          3) TGNS Reserved Slots (links to this: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...ot-server.html)

Regular advertisement of the info button promotes players to view these during down times in games (pre-game, end of games before defeat, re-spawning etc...)

Eventually a post should probably be made detailing what each sh_ command does, one column for guardians, the other for primer signers. That should be later though since its fairly documented via sh_help.
          Last edited by aeroripper; 09-16-2013, 06:53 AM.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
            About bumping, it says that all else equal, the player that gets bumped is the player who has been on LONGER. Is that right?
            Clarification which I've just documented in that Reserved Slots Logic thread: the two longest-connected Strangers are safe, and the two longest-connected PrimerOnlys are safe. But, beyond those exclusions, the longest-connected player is chosen (all other things being equal).

We protect the two longest-connected of each non-bill-paying group to encourage them to seed the empty server: show up early enough, and you'll be immune from reserved slots all night.

Comment

Ah that makes sense now. Thanks Wyz!

Comment

Is it possible to merge all of the 'info' posts into a single, linked thread in the primer? Essentially a thread that has all the info linked inside of it. Over time these posts will get buried and hard to find outside of clicking the button in game. Maybe listed under a 'Server Info' thread in the primer, or separate sticky here on the forums.

Comment

I've been linking to (I think?) all of them in our "Required Reading" thread. Does that seem sufficient?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...-required.html

Comment

I missed those, that works good ^^

Comment

We seemed to have an issue with concede tonight, we had everyone doing it, though we couldn't get the vote to pass. It was a smaller game.

Also one captains game we rushed a chair when our khamm d/c'ed. When we killed the chair the new chair they dropped wouldn't open. So they lost. Don't know if this was an issue from the game or capts

Lastly, every so often when I join the game my mouse cursor turns white and I can not control the game. I have to ctl alt del and log off. If I try to open task mgr it sends me back to ns2 with white cursor. Again duno if it is the game, pc, or addons.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X