Phase gate selector mod (from NS1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase gate selector mod (from NS1)

I know we never had the mod on our server back in NS1 days (not sure why), but it was great on other servers where I have encountered.

It was a mod that allowed you to select between multiple phase gates on the map and go to the specific place you choose, rather then phasing multiple times. Kind of like aliens in NS2 have tunnels that are placed between points A and B and aliens can move between specific locations.

UWE has implemented the Armory Healing mod from NS1, but not this phase gate selector (w/e the actual name is), perhaps there was some reason to it, but nonetheless it would be great to have.

Is it available for NS2?

Would it be possible to have it on our server? (unless it will not be added for same reasons we did not have it in NS1).

Re: Phase gate selector mod (from NS1)

Well for one I think it's a great thing that marines can't just spam phase gates all over the map because the more phase gates there are, the longer it takes to get somewhere. If you could pick which one, every time, the game would be much harder for aliens... and that's the last thing we need right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
      Well for one I think it's a great thing that marines can't just spam phase gates all over the map because the more phase gates there are, the longer it takes to get somewhere. If you could pick which one, every time, the game would be much harder for aliens... and that's the last thing we need right now.
      Aliens were not able to go to specific locations via movement chambers in NS1 (I am talking outside the hives or from a an mc to a hive), now they can between 2 tunnels, and they can select the tunnel that gets them to a particular location, marines still cannot NS2 just like they could not in NS1 (unless with a mod).

If armory now heals marines, just like hive heals aliens, then there is no reason why marines cannot choose where they travel to via pg's (just like aliens can).

Comment

I would disagree with having this. It fundamentally changes the way phase gates would be interacted with.
        It is a strategic decision on the part of the commander to decide where to place PG's, and how many of them there should be on the map, with the understanding that more phase gates do provide greater map control, but at the expense of rapid response time. When it starts taking marines too long to phase back and forth, the commander is forced to make the decision on whether or not to recycle a PG in certain areas, which gives the aliens a blind spot to attack if they can take advantage of it.

If you provide functionality for the marines to choose which phase gate to phase to, it effectively removes the major downside to PG's, effectively making more PG's for more map control = no brainer.

Don't get me wrong - it's a cool idea, and one that I've tossed around myself a while back. But in the end, it unbalances the game far too heavily for the sake of making things "less annoying."

You also can't directly compare PG's with Gorge tunnels. While on a fundamental level they serve the same purpose - shuttling teammates back and forth between specific points of the map - the way they function are completely different, adhering with the idea that the marines and aliens are different species and function differently.

Gorge tunnels are limited to a maximum of one pair per gorge, where the marine commander may drop as many as he deems necessary, assuming the risk of transit time delay is minimal. This means that the marines can have a network of PG's up between 3 bases relatively quickly and easily, while it would cost the aliens 3 players going gorge to drop separate gorge tunnel pairs, while exposing themselves to marines in the process.

Furthermore, while marines are able to use gorge tunnels, the aliens cannot use PG's. This leads to the idea that although the aliens can spam more gorge tunnels for "PG-like" map control, it comes with the negative downside that it opens up the aliens' critical back areas for easy marine access. Since PG's don't allow aliens to traverse through them, removing the "transit lag" downside would in effect make PG's have no negatives, which is wholly unfair. Keep in mind that even if the aliens were to have a network of tunnels going back and forth, in order to traverse through a series of tunnels, they experience much more "transit lag" than marines phasing through phase gates as it is, due to the animation of the tunnel swallowing the aliens, and the slight delay upon hitting the exit to actually pop out.

Comment

Not to mention... this is an asymmetrically balanced game. Just because one side has something doesn't mean the other side has to have that EXACT same thing. In fact it shouldn't! Sure it would be perfectly balanced if both teams had absolutely no differences except perhaps some different skins, but where's the fun in that? The beauty of the game is that they've created two completely different teams that more or less (less ATM :( ) are equal, but FAR from the same.

Comment

I would be nice if a comm could upgrade phase gates to work as only two way teleporters so you could do both. Different colored lights to let you know which gates on the map are connected apart from the standard chain.
            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Even if you make it a commander upgrade, and limit it to one pair of gates that have this functionality, you still have the above problem - you're negating about the only negative aspect of phase gates for marines.

With this, you'd leave all your phase gates open, and simply upgrade the "front line" phase gate, thus allowing your marines to freely defend any other areas of the map, yet reinforce the front line immediately when necessary.
              On the alien side, when they are pushed back like this with phase gates everywhere, one of the best options available to them is to have part of the team cause a ruckus at a marine base to force a beacon, and use that small window to rush out and take out the forward phase gate before the marines can return to the front line. If you remove the phase lag (meaning, don't punish marines for having 6+ phase gates) then as soon as the beacon goes off, some of the more situationally aware marines will ignore base and immediately phase back to the front line, thus robbing the aliens of their chance. Currently marines can do that, but the delay is enough for the aliens to at least set up a meat grinder on it.

Comment

There needs to be some kind of negative for having too many phase gates, as is commanders need to choose between defensive (PG at TPs) and offensive (PG to cutoff/contain aliens) or risk making a messy network of phase gates that takes forever for a marine to actually get where needed. If marine commanders no longer have to balance between offensive and defensive gates (or in the case of most games all defensive gates) then it will be far too easy for marines to cut off and pressure alien hives while maintaining fast response times to defend their base(s).

Also this would take us too far away from "Vanilla NS2" for my liking, but then again so does every change/mod not meant for administration purposes or anything that affects play during the actual round. FF being the exception since it should have been vanilla from day 1.

Comment

It would be interesting to see how it would play out if it worked just like gorge tunnels but for marines. Every time you wanted a phase gate, a marine who hasn't already bought a PG kit would have to spend oh... 15 rez (forgot how much GTs are) at the armory (after upgrading the phase tech of course!) and manually walk to each position where each end of the phase gate goes. In keeping with being just like gorge tunnels, the phase gate also is no longer instantaneous, but transports the Marines to a sort of "in-between" space (like the "tunnel" part of gorge tunnels).

I don't think I'd like that either...

Comment

There are quite a few things that could use QoL improvements, but out of those I personally think phase gates are in a very good spot now. They're an incredibly effective tool when their number and location (at a tech point or more forward position) is carefully managed by the commander, and unwieldy and even a hindrance if used overzealously. All that and, as Dark said, there are still counters that an equally crafty alien team can execute to take care of well placed phase gates.

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
                      It would be interesting to see how it would play out if it worked just like gorge tunnels but for marines. Every time you wanted a phase gate, a marine who hasn't already bought a PG kit would have to spend oh... 15 rez (forgot how much GTs are) at the armory (after upgrading the phase tech of course!) and manually walk to each position where each end of the phase gate goes. In keeping with being just like gorge tunnels, the phase gate also is no longer instantaneous, but transports the Marines to a sort of "in-between" space (like the "tunnel" part of gorge tunnels).

I don't think I'd like that either...
                      What you've described basically replaces phase gates with what I imagine is something along the lines of hiring a convict with a spoon to dig a tunnel across the map for you.
                      I think it's unnecessary that they have anything that is exactly similar to the aliens, or vice versa.

Prior to Gorge Tunnels, alien mobility was extremely hampered by the fact that a good marine team was able to "pen in" the aliens to a particular room, even while attacking another hive. At least in NS1, the aliens could use the hive to travel to any hive that was immediately under attack (in itself was also somewhat problematic, as the strategy became "there's a guy in our hive" "wait, no, don't kill him, let him hit the hive" "ok he hit the hive, everyone go go go!")
                      The way it currently is, both sides have the ability to transport themselves out of, or into, a room under siege, while both having their own pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                        I would be nice if a comm could upgrade phase gates to work as only two way teleporters so you could do both. Different colored lights to let you know which gates on the map are connected apart from the standard chain.
                        Great idea Roland. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                          .....Furthermore, while marines are able to use gorge tunnels, the aliens cannot use PG's.
                          I did not know that marines can use the tunnels, that changes a lot.

Comment

Yeah, I remember in the very early days of NS1, for a brief moment, aliens were able to use marine PG's.

It did not end well, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                              Yeah, I remember in the very early days of NS1, for a brief moment, aliens were able to use marine PG's.

It did not end well, lol.
                              That was short lived :P, when I started playing NS 1 in June 2003, it was no longer the case.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X