Captain's Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Captain's Night

The admins have been kicking around an idea of hosting a dedicated Captain's Game night. We would look to start around 8pm EST / 7pm CST on the designated night. What we are looking for is feedback on which night you guys would prefer and what maps you'd want to include in the Captain's Game night rotation.

It would be a first come first serve basis for those that want to play. We would password one of the servers prior and release the password prior to the start of Captain's Game night; those that want to play on the dedicated night would be inclined to check the forums prior to game time for the weekly password.

-mirage
    Monday
    8.33%
    Tuesday
    0.00%
    Wednesday
    0.00%
    Thursday
    16.67%
    Friday
    50.00%
    Saturday
    16.67%
    Sunday
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: Captain's Night

If a lot of people want in is it first come first served or do capts get to pick who stays and who goes based of skill, etc?

I like the password if someone has issues they can rejoin, instead of having someone join and alter the balance.

I like the idea!
    Lights Out!

Comment

For right now we'd be doing first come first serve; basically once the server fills that is the field of players to choose from. I have some plans for how we'd handle a higher demand but first let us see how many people show up on a regular basis before we would implement such a system. We'd start off with one night a week and see how much demand occurs; possibly going to two nights if needed. Once we have a solid group of people fighting for spaces on the server, we would roll out a more tailored system for spots.

Comment

Perhaps we could actually utilize the 24 player slots on the server on said night. I'm not a fan of really large games, but I'd LOVE to see a 12v12 TGNS Captains Game full of regulars. I can imagine some pretty epic games.

And my vote is based on the chance that I do not get the job I recently interviewed for. If I do get it, it will change from Friday to Tuesday or something like that. I'll update here if I do get the job, and you guys can minus one on Friday at that point.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

I can more or less do any week night, but since that's not an option, and I can't choose 5 options, I'll not vote.

More organized play with the community is definitely a plus, but I would really like for people to try and balance the team when they pick, instead of stacking to win.
          The last couple captain's games I've been in haven't been terribly fun because of this, and I've been avoiding some invites lately.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
            More organized play with the community is definitely a plus, but I would really like for people to try and balance the team when they pick, instead of stacking to win.
            The last couple captain's games I've been in haven't been terribly fun because of this, and I've been avoiding some invites lately.
            Pretty sure I mentioned this somewhere else already. Its fine to pick to win though, as long as both captains do, even if they don't happen to know who the best person to pick is I think it is easy to say anyone asking for a recommended pick will receive a fair answer.

My only other gripe with the captains games is that it takes forever to start and during that time everyone just sits in the ready room waiting for more regs to join/people to vote to start. This would be ok but right now there is not much difference between a captains game and a regular pub game with a heavy number of regs. Most of the planning time in the games I have been in there has been very little discussed other than "hit their RTs" and "who wants to be x lifeform" with sometimes splits being discussed, splits which are promptly ignored as Marines over extend and get base rushed.

Anyways having organized night(s) to play captains game will hopefully allow more advanced tactics to be introduced into the captains games making them much more rewarding and worth the time investment to get started.

Also my post about it got blocked by the filter, as about 50% of my posts tend to, but did it change that you can be bumped by res slots while picking teams? Because it totally happened to me the other night and it kind of messed up the balance when I rejoined...

Comment

I can more or less do any week night, but since that's not an option, and I can't choose 5 options, I'll not vote.

The thing is both captains should be consistent and pick the best players first, questionable, and least skilled. Trying to be nice can cause more issues like the one you mentioned. Sometimes people get lucky others don't. I think a game the other night 3 of the best players on the server were on the other team, but the team I was picking had a good core. Also sometimes people will try risky things during captains or get to cocky which can cause a loss.

While I can more often than not tell the winner of a pub game, it tends to be a bit harder and be a lot more surprising with a captains game. They seem to be very short or very long. Short in the way that people work together better and hit the other team where it hurts really quickly. Longer if the other team defends well. I remember a game where the other team only had one hive in flight and they some how kept hitting us and eventually won. We had a few great players, others were so so. Though the other team one as their team work was far superior than ours.
              Lights Out!

Comment

My point about "picking to win" isn't so much that I'm trying to say the opposite - it's still a game after all, and someone has to win.
                My main issue was where the top couple of people are placed on the same team, and leaves the other team with little hope. I'd imagine the game would be much more interesting if those players were picked to be on opposing teams. But people will still pick to win, so it's more or less just an empty complaint from me.

As for the planning, this has struck me as well. Oftentimes in a pub, I'd ask our comm what's the plan, and everyone responds (sarcastically or otherwise) "kill the other team."
                Well, yeah, I kind of understand that's the point of the game, but doesn't really tell me how we're going to go about it. I let it go because it's a pub though.
                However, I tend to get the same responses during a captain's game too, which kind of defeats the point of having a captain's round.

With regard to splits and over-extension and such, I believe a growing number of our top regs are starting to become active in the competitive and pugging scene, where in a 6v6 situation, everyone must listen to orders and pull their own weight. However, I believe a large number of TG regulars are still just your normal pubbers, with the pub mentality of going where they think is important. I know I wrestled with this kind of dual-mentality when playing back when I did some competitive TF2. Personally, I'll adhere to my assigned role pretty strictly, and some players on my teams may recall me asking our captain for specifics on their plans, down to whether we should ignore specific events and continue on with being aggressive or defensive in certain scenarios. I feel this comes from my experience with competitive playing, where everything is planned and orchestrated, but most players still respond with a somewhat halfhearted "We'll figure it out when that happens."

I do wish people would take captain's games to try unorthodox strategies, though. Most games feel like they play the same as a regular round on TG.
                For lack of a better phrase, "Where's the meta?" We all know each other here..

Finally, unless Wyz broke something, I believe everyone on the server is protected (reserved slots disabled) as soon as the captain's mode activates.

Comment

Finally, unless Wyz broke something, I believe everyone on the server is protected (reserved slots disabled) as soon as the captain's mode activates.
                  Maybe it had to do with me having to restart and rejoining during the picks, I literally just loaded in and then got booted.

Comment

If both teams pick to win then both teams will be the most balanced. Though there is always the luck of the draw of having that 1 player join late or the random pug who is picked last, but is awesome. For the most part if you have two equally skilled captains and the 1st pick gets the best player and you go best to worst, then I don't see an issue. I don't like stacks in any case. This is a very dynamic game, I have been 50:1 and 1:9 so things can change on the group dynamic. A couple well coordinated players are better than a own everyone fade. I think the captains game are less about skill as you see in many cases the scores are very close to a 1:1 for both teams save 1 or 2 players. I usually have a great score in the games we lose and a bad score in the games we win :(

The past games tonight were the best example. We had good people that work together, but everything we did was wrong! We were always doing the wrong the at the wrong time and we lost the game because of poor timing. It wasn't one person it was all of us. Though at the same time I played 4 games as aliens tonight where we had amazing coordination at the right time. Three loosing games all were won by gorge rushes and those turn around games are the best. In the last win as aliens most of the marine team went to elv transfer in tram and killed me and another skulk. I told 3 or 4 skulks in warehouse to rush and we won because the 1 marine that went that side died. Because they listen we won

I am not really religious or superstitious, though sometimes I have this feeling if the team has the swing to win or the coordination of dead ants. I can just tell by my actions and others how a game will end.
                    Lights Out!

Comment

I haven't changed that Captains Game halt all full-server joins. That's still in play unless there's a defect.

I'll see what I can mod to speed the team picking and planning phases along.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

A (maybe five minute?) countdown timer before the game autostarts after every has joined a team would be a good start in the planning phase situation imo.
                        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
                          Perhaps we could actually utilize the 24 player slots on the server on said night. I'm not a fan of really large games, but I'd LOVE to see a 12v12 TGNS Captains Game full of regulars. I can imagine some pretty epic games.

And my vote is based on the chance that I do not get the job I recently interviewed for. If I do get it, it will change from Friday to Tuesday or something like that. I'll update here if I do get the job, and you guys can minus one on Friday at that point.

Mom
                          Problem is, when the server broke we got to see just how well it handles 12v12 on the same server... not well :(. At times, the lag was unbearable. I think 8v8 is really the limit for this server.

Comment

We've only had 10 people vote, make sure you're letting other members know about this thread on the forums if they are interested.

Comment

I can't say, but i will try to make it, consider myself obstaining for now
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X