Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four spectator slots for "bumped" players...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four spectator slots for "bumped" players...

Spectating TGNS can be very fun, and I'm creating another opportunity for doing it: when you otherwise would have been denied the server due to reserved slots.

There's now a four-slot Spectate buffer between "bumped" players and disconnection. That is: up to four players prohibited from joining the server or teams will be placed in Spectate, invited to immediately and manually re-attempt a team join when they see an open slot. If all four Spectate slots are being used, the server will kick unlucky players no differently than what we've done in the past.

This will upset some who otherwise would have been simply kicked. I've tried to word the messages (about "spectate while you wait") these "reserved slot victims" see with as friendly and as welcoming a tone as I can. I don't want players feeling deceived, and I hope some take real value from the option. Some will just immediately leave after being placed in Spectate, and that's OK.

These slots /are/ hidden in UWE's server browser, but strangers telling NS2 to join our full server /will/ be allowed to connect /if/ we have open Spectate slots.

This is very rough around the edges, and I'd appreciate constructive criticism about the implementation.

Please do report any major defects ASAP (editing our very complex reserved slots logic is always risky and difficult to deeply test).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Four spectator slots for "bumped" players...

Getting to join a game in progress and play as soon as a position frees up is an AWESOME idea.

Getting kicked to Spectator, watching someone take your spot on your team and inherit your onos res... I dunno.

Good idea though! What if someone joins a full server and just wants to spec? There's no sort of HLTV type implementation, is there?

Comment

There's none (yet?). :(

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyzcrak, I think something got broke with this change. Noticed a couple times today when the server was full and a stranger joined, the server crashed while they were in the ready room.

Comment

Thank you for the report. How many times did you see this happen?

Comment

Ah. 2?

Comment

How far apart were the two occurrences?

Comment

Just a screenshot mostly showing what Matrix is talking about. 8 players on both teams, 1 in the ready room, with the server crashing and dcing everyone. Can't confirm or deny that it functions okay sometimes with a full server and a person being bumped, as it may depend on console commands or something like that from a spectator.

Correction: won't let me post the url to the image. If you want to see it Wyz I've shared it on my steam account (MY LITTLE MOLEY-MAN). The only notable thing I can think of is that the person shown in the ready room isn't a P or A or anything.

Comment

duplicate post.

Comment

I was only on a short time but I saw the server crash at least 3 or 4 times.

Comment

Server just crashed again, took a couple screenshots. at 8v8 + 1 extra player it kept going, and then a 2nd extra player and it crashed.

Comment

I saw that. Investigating.

Comment

I've rolled the server back to last night's state, as I'm hours away from further investigation.

More later.

Will someone please confirm the problem is solved for now?

Comment

Seems to be okay now.

Comment

ty

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X