Who's ready to concede?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's ready to concede?

If Wyz will be so gracious, I'd like to point him out.

I've been preaching this "drive" and "devotion" stuff for a few weeks now. It's mostly in an effort to get people to realize that the concede is easy to use and it's easy to get out of a tough situation this way.

The other night Wyz and I, and probably several of you reading this, were on Aliens on... some map. We were pinned down pretty bad, having trouble expanding across the map... it was ugly, and getting worse.

We all felt it. Everyone on the team was losing morale... it was the turning point in the game. Were we going to continue to try, or just concede and get it over with. Wyz comes over comms, "Is anyone opposed to conceding?" or something like that...

A few seconds later, the tide completely shifted. We had an opportunity and we sprung on it. In a matter of seconds, with a coordinated assault on a key point of the map... we had shifted the game in our favor. And it was such a shift, that it propelled us to a win shortly after.

After the game, I messaged Wyz and told him "And you wanted to concede... SHAME ON YOU." We joked about it, but the point is there.

A game can turn around in a moment. It happens all the time. All it takes is for a person to say, "No, I won't concede. No, I won't tolerate this team being random and uncoordinated anymore.." And actually push. Sure, there will be times when it's just too far gone. There will be times when it just doesn't come together and the concede is needed... but I think we're using it too soon in too many cases. I'm guilty of this, but I find myself voting concede just because I know my team wants to get it over with. And I think others do this as well.

It only takes a moment, guys. Don't let morale dictate whether or not the game is lost.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Who's ready to concede?

My correlation between "winning" and "enjoying myself" is weak compared to some.

For the same reasons I don't invest in lotteries when given the choice, I don't typically invest in long-shot games: in the long run, you lose more of what's precious than you gain. The adrenaline of competition is often insufficient to compel me.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That's a long way of saying, "You're right, Mom," right? :P

In your defense, I was using this particular situation to illustrate that even our most illustrious members can feel the effects of low morale.

And, there is a bit of a gamble there if you decide not to concede at the given time. You're certainly playing with chance when you decide to continue to press, as well as when you decide to concede. But the reward for actually coming back is often 10 fold the reward of just simply winning the game, at least in my own experience.

Mom
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

You're right to demand the best from players while the game hasn't yet ended. My most common "or something like that" is: "I'll keep fighting in the meantime, and I'm ready to concede when you guys are." I rarely start a vote at that point. At that point, my pursuit of victory moves some from selfish to selfless: I'm fighting to appease the greater competitive needs of my teammates moreso than myself. The thrill of suspense has largely exited the game for me at that point. The promise of the possible and unlikely win isn't that interesting to me.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It's really common to have folks say "if we do this, things will be different". I'll often counter with one or both of the following, which are generally met with silence:

1) are you prepared to show the leadership that's required to coordinate that against-all-odds action?

2) what tactical objectives should we pursue to make that long-shot strategy a reality?

And sometimes not silence, and so we often give it a go.

I lose interest when my free time is "needlessly" consumed by too-competitive daydreamers who can't themselves show the courage to lead the pack into those dreams becoming a reality.

Comment

I guess the best way to communicate what I mean is that there is a time for concede and there is a time for organization.

I completely agree the concede vote is necessary, and valuable in certain situations, but I also know that the game only takes a moment to change. I feel like we lose those moments by conceding too early. If I could put every situation to a numerical value, I'd say that if there is a 25% chance to win, it's not worth conceding. Anything less than that, sure. But we all know that's not practical.

The point I'm trying to make, and I think you realize this Wyz, is that games are not won or lost in the first 5 minutes of the game, as much as that may be hard to believe for a lot of folks. Just because Aliens don't get Nano in Veil doesn't mean it's over. Marines could easily overcommit, or be too distracted to notice the PG going down.. or anything of the nature 10 minutes into the game with Aliens only having 1 hive and Marines having the whole map.

I think we let it be too easy to just say, "Eh, let's concede" when it should be more, "Okay, we gave'm hell, let's concede".

That's the point I'm trying to get across. I'm not saying we should never concede, but if we have, at the very least, people who listen to orders, at least try to coordinate something before giving up. It's much easier for me to say, "Okay, we're done" after a low-morale, coordinated assault fails, than it is to say it when we've barely even tried and it's our fault the game is in the shape it is anyway.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Obviously, my point is so profound that tacticalgamer.com wanted me to post it twice...

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Obviously this is all anecdotal and opinion but I'm going to put this out there anyways because I have seen it happen a few times where people suddenly praise great teamwork and tactics for the turn around games that seem to occur on the TG servers far more often than on other servers.

I don't really understand the disconnect some people seem to have with these turnarounds and they fact that often strangers (lower skill, coordination on average than regulars) get bumped from the server and replaced with players who are much more valuable to the team. With the unique reserved slot system in place on the TG servers this happens fairly often. Two recent occurrences of this stand out in my mind, the first and most blatant example was a game on tram just 2 nights ago on Tuesday. The game started more or less full with myself being the only P/A on aliens, we were lucky enough to get top spawn which at least let us hold on to WH/Server but the marines were all over Ore and north tunnels eventually ARCing out WH around this point though the alien team began to turn it around... Why? Well teamwork started improving, we salvaged WH cleaned up ore and north tunnels and immediately crushed Elevator Transfer giving us three hives. A big turnaround, but a look at the teams showed a stark contrast between the alien roster beginning of the game and that of the current point, almost all of the aliens had recently been replaced by a player sporting a "P" or an "A". The alien onslaught continued and the marines lost shortly thereafter. By the end of the game it was literally only myself and the Khamannder left of the starting squad. Suddenly improved teamwork may have won the day but it came on the back of increased team skill and from a completely different crew.

The other incident that comes to mind is probably the same one YerMom is referencing in this thread. Last night on descent. I opted to spec the round as I did not really feel like playing descent at the time (and the balance mod really hates me). The turnaround point came about after a few important events, the first being several marines dropped/left so I hopped on marines to turn off team balance. As players (re)joined I headed back to spec only for the same to occur on aliens (not sure if d/c or quitting) so I hopped back in the game on aliens at just around the point where a concede discussion and vote was starting. I voted to concede not because I thought all hope was lost but because the effort a comeback required at that point far exceeded the effort I was willing to put into the game (obviously biased as hadn't actually been playing but this is my feeling of most games that require a comeback). As it happened I had inherited about 68 P.Res from whoever left so I went fade right away and we had a couple onos handy. So two ill-advised pushes by the marine team later we slowly began the process of chipping away at their res by killing JPers and exos. Normally the map control that had been afforded to the marines would have allowed them to replenish their toys faster than most teams could kill them but we picked them off at a rapid enough rate and hit enough res to deplete their P.Res and morale that the marine team just started quitting and we rolled in to finish them off. Now I may be remembering the details of that particular game incorrectly but I do not recall too much team-wide coordination aside from the desperate monorail defense when I first joined until the clean-up of the marine bases and feel the turnaround was more due to our lifeforms simply winning engagements we often had no business winning. That's how Captain Morgan and I felt about that round anyways...
                (I realize after writing this has less to do with the reserved slot system itself as I implied it would and more general shuffle of players resulting in a change in the game dynamic, though it probably occurred quicker by having spare/spec slots)

Now, I am by no means saying that comebacks cannot happen without some sort of extenuating circumstances but simply put the effort is just not worth it for me. I am more than willing to coordinate and lead people who are ready to listen but I cannot take the time to hold people's hand, timing is far too important in almost all engagements and as an extremely aggressive player I feel I am better off constantly picking objectives that I can tackle solo or with those who keep up with me than take the time to try to change the gaming philosophy of several people who are unwilling to work together and communicate. So now this is where I see Wyz saying, "Well we have to start changing somewhere". I agree, but the mid-late game is just too hectic for me to feel effective on the field and effectively lead simultaneously. Early game is the best time to be teaching as reinforcing the basics of the game: map control, lane blocking, alien ambushes and keeping LOS on fellow marines make-up nearly 100% of early game success for individuals and teams. Call me a pessimist but if people are not catching on to these little but important things early in the game they are not likely to change in the late game when they want to play around with their lifeform/exo/jp. Then they of course lose their toy, and if they can't get it back (are on the losing team) quit/give-up.

TL;DR If a team doesn't start as a team is it ever really a team?

Also I tried to cover way too much in this post but some of this has been festering in my mind for some time and I am aware it is very open to critique while often meandering away from the topic but I will leave it as is for the sake of discussion. That and I am hungry after my awesome drunk fade play.

Comment

Originally posted by crymeariver View Post
                  If a team doesn't start as a team is it ever really a team?
                  In my observation, Never Quits who've failed to demand requisite teamwork throughout the game regularly ask others to fight on due to possibilities that are made possible only with that very teamwork.

I've been trying to grow the alien teamwork in particular. In a way, that helps solve this "morale" problem. If you /start/ the game with the kind of coordination that wins games, you're more likely to win (all other things being equal).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    In my observation, Never Quits who've failed to demand requisite teamwork throughout the game regularly ask others to fight on due to possibilities that are made possible only with that very teamwork.

I've been trying to grow the alien teamwork in particular. In a way, that helps solve this "morale" problem. If you /start/ the game with the kind of coordination that wins games, you're more likely to win (all other things being equal).
                    I have noticed both of these things as well while I agree with the first as I see it too the second is a big challenge I wish you luck in. Alien teamwork is something even competitive teams struggle to maintain in a 6v6 when the game gets heated. I will say there are 3 player archetypes that visit the TG servers and each can be a team player or not.
                    Lets call them Alphas, Betas and Omegas

Group 1: Teamplayers
                    Alpha 1: Communicates frequently, organizes engagements, helps betas
                    Beta 1: Communicates with Alphas and follows their lead, asks for orders/help
                    Omega 1: Does what they feel is best be it follow the Alpha or perform solo, makes constructive and general suggestions for the team to take

Group 2: Non-Team players:
                    Alpha 2: Just a jerk pretty much, vocalised displesure with team, does not support group efforts
                    Beta 2: wander aimlessly, no communication often has a green name
                    Omega 2: Sticks on their own, silent but effective member of team

There are very few alphas in both groups on the TG servers as I feel most people fall in the the B1 or O1 category. While I would like to see amazing pack play on the alien side it likely requires 7 field players to all fall into group 1 and probably requires two A1 players to coordinate two packs of aliens both as separate forces and a combined force when necessary. I think teamplay has improved greatly in the captains games (maybe anyways as I only played 1 recently and gave my team pretty clear orders and laid out good detailed plans with both my alien and marine comms and had picked my team with my plans in mind). As the tactics used in the captains games advance and the teamwork required to execute them is practiced I think it will trickle down more into the regular pub gameplay. Once people realize their really are options to turn around some of these games (and they are capable of executing them) I am sure more people will be receptive to working together when it is not just Wyz harping on people to work together and come up with a plan. Once those people actually know of a plan and have had success with it in the past i'm sure it will happen more and more often.

Comment

While I agree with a lot of what you said, Cry, I think it comes down to this:

Within the framework of the above two items, create a cohesive gaming community that consistently uses teamwork, communication, strategy and tactics to enhance everyone's enjoyment of Natural Selection.

This is #3 on the Primer that almost 400 people have signed. If you have a P, S, or A by your name and you are not following this rule, then you are breaking this rule, and are subject to punishment within the TG servers.

So, while the argument for a lack of teamwork/order-following can stand up against some players in the server (greens or new signers), for our regs, there should never be an issue.

As far as your hierarchy goes, I think it comes down to the Comm/Khamm. I spoke to this in another thread. We should have Comms/Khamms dictate who will be the A1 players during game play. There are plenty of strategically sound people in our server that are not considered Alpha players (42-2 k/d every game like SOMEONE :P )... I would suggest that if the Comm isn't stepping up to name an "Alpha", take the effort to name them yourself. "I'd like Wyzcrak and Roland to serve as our field commanders if you don't mind Comm."

I do agree that Capt Games are helping the pub games.

I just think that there should be a set of... expectations.. as to when to use Concede. I've seen teams start concede votes with 2 hives... or even 2 bases. There is still PLENTY of opportunity to win the game with that much map. I can understand if you just lost hive 2, the team has failed at coordination across the entire game, and the map is completely held by the opposing team. I can understand starting the vote if you simply can't get a foothold on the early map and realize it's likely not going to happen. I can't understand, "We just lost Nano and we have 2 hives left. It's probably game over," or, "Our onos just died and their exos are walking into our second hive, it's game over." No... try to retake double, or try to hit hive 3... and no, coordinate on those exos with your skulks (because, admit it, skulks are difficult to kill as Exos). It's just too easy to hit a button to "get it over with", imho.

EDIT: With that being said, I don't expect a new rule or set of rules to eliminate X use of concede. I expect our mature gamers to realize that the game can turn on a dime, and sometimes it's too early to concede.

ADD: I can't really understand these "not worth the effort" comments. To me, it takes the same amount of effort to try and turn a game around as it does to win the game in the first place, especially if a team is unorganized throughout the entire game. Maybe it's just me. I guess I can understand, "I don't want to continue to put effort into this game", but that just circles back into the morale issue, doesn't it? It takes one person in a late game to say, "It's over" or "I'm tired of this game" (both of which I'm also guilty of spitting out) for the rest of the team to say, "I am too."

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that members who had signed the primer were among those not contributing to the team. In fact I am hard pressed to think of even 1 or 2 Primer signers who I have seen consistently not living up to the rules they agreed upon in signing the primer. We all get frustrated at times and there are some people with shorter fuses than others, someone being overly critical or ceasing to vocalize / give input to a team (guilty) because they are frustrated with any given circumstance is going to happen now and then. Personally i'm ok with that, usually a fresh game is the best cure for those people.

Maybe "effort" wasn't the best word, as you said it is just a symptom of the lack of morale on the team being beaten back. It would be better to say time, as in "is it worth it to spend 10min trying to turn this game around? or is my time better spent on the first 10min of a new game". To me the early game is the best part of the game (ok, maybe not alien early game right now) but that is my opinion and I don't expect the whole world to share it or agree. But with the way NS2 works with one team or the other steadily gaining more and more of an advantage over the other resulting in some of the players of the losing team inevitably getting more and more frustrated. At a certain point that frustration reaches a point where they want the game to end, the most common thing for these people to do is vote to concede or F4/Disconnect. While I often find myself in this boat more often than not, due to personal pessimism or game awareness, take your pick, instead of "lets give up" it would be nice to see teams making all-in pushes more to end the game. I think base trades are the best way to go to satisfy everyone, those who wish to fight on get to fight on and those who just wish for the game to end will (hopefully) have it end. Unfortunately what often happens is the opposing commander/team will defend instead of just ending the game with a base trade regardless of their advantage which prolongs the game and further frustrates those seeking to end the game. Though I will say Roland(I think...?) did one perfectly the other night on summit, just wish he told those of us who were busy dancing with fades that so we didn't panic so much!

On a personal note I feel that the tactics of the regular player base is improving at a very good pace not only due to the fact that we have the personnel and ability to play the captains games but that the bots let us seed whatever the "second" server happens to be getting even more people interested in the community as often the bots will at least spark a conversation with strangers about the server and get them interested if not the presence of the few regulars typically insures there are willing commanders to get the real games rolling in too.

Originally posted by YerMom
                        There are plenty of strategically sound people in our server that are not considered Alpha players (42-2 k/d every game like SOMEONE :P )
                        I know this is tongue and cheek but personally I feel my time as a full-time leader in any online game is past, the spark of competition may start the fire up now and again and if asked to assume a role I will. The burden of leadership is not a role I will choose for myself all to often anymore.

Comment

Just to point out though...for every great come back like the ones described here, we have probably close to 30+ games that get dragged out because the winning team wants a specific upgrade and the losing team lost in the first 2 minutes, but has such poor team work that they cannot even get a concede vote to pass. We have all been there and by the end of such games, you will have people F4ing and getting yelled at for F4ing or people leaving the server because they are not allowed to F4 and 2 people seem to be enough to keep a team from conceding.

Leadership only gets you so far if nobody is willing and able to follow that leadership.

Comment

I agree that we've all been there, Xavier... and I by absolutely no means believe we should remove the Concede feature or change it dramatically.

I've seen a trend of less conceding until it REALLY is necessary in the game lately. I'm not sure if that's a product of threads or comments like this or... it's closer to Christmas? I dunno. But, it has proven to be more of what I think game play should be like.

With that being said, I've found myself reluctant to concede, or even start a concede talk in a team because of my posting of threads like these. I feel like if I start a concede vote, I'll be.. opposing myself, and that's simply not the case. I don't expect people to NOT concede at all. I should be clear about that. And I don't expect people to not concede just because we MAY get a turn around.

I expect people not to try to concede because we just lost a strategic point of the map with 2 hives left.

I expect people not to try to concede because we don't have any res beyond our 2 tech points.

Or... we just lost our Fade and Lerk in an engagement.

Or.. we just lost our 2 exos and all our jetpacks but we still have 6 res nodes.

There's a difference in conceding due to morale, and conceding because the game is over. The latter should be the reason we concede, not the former.

And the point to this thread and comments like this is to stress that to my team mates without doing it verbally in the game. I'd much rather be patient and put thought behind my, "SERIOUSLY GUYS WE'VE ONLY BEEN PLAYING FOR 5 MINUTES AND WE'RE NOT DOING THAT BAD! STOP TRYING TO WASTE THE 5 MINUTES I'VE SPENT IN THIS GAME AND ACTUALLY TRY TO PLAY!!!!ONEOne...one."

Because, ultimately, in my opinion, and for those of us who may say, "it's not worth it"... it's not worth it to spend 10 minutes on something I'm going to just give up on. I don't need... justification for what I'm doing. I'm playing a game, which is in most cases considered wasting time. But, for me to jump into a game, give it hell for 10 minutes only to be beaten back by a team, and then my team mates decide that (with a decent foothold on the map, but no progress in combat.. or other scenarios like that) it's not worth it to spend another 5 minutes on it and concede... is, again in my humble opinion, a complete waste of the 10 minutes prior to that. It's like going outside and spending 30 minutes to get ready to mow the lawn (picking up sticks, etc) and then not mowing the lawn for a week when the sticks are back in the yard. I just took that 30 minutes and basically said, "I don't really need these" and threw them away. And for someone with kids, my time is limited and I'd rather not even put the 10 minutes into something like that. It's more gratifying to me to watch my hive die than it is to concede when it's not time to concede.

With all that being said, and my point hopefully clarified...

has such poor team work that they cannot even get a concede vote to pass
                            I believe this needs to be addressed. As was witnessed last night in a smaller game... if there are too few players on the team, it takes all players on the team to concede. I'd like to see one of two things happen. Either: 1 - the percentage of people required to concede scales with the team. 82% for an 8 player team, 72% with a 7 player team, etc. OR 2 - Guardians have the ability to force concede for a team or force a smaller concede vote for a team... or something to that effect. It is a pretty solid issue that you simply cannot get one or two random people to vote concede. Generally, it will pass with time, but not before we make opinions or something to the effect of that. And with all the new players I'm seeing in the server, I think it fosters an environment where regulars are starting to dislike new people silently.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Sometimes I am up for conceding when it seems the other team can't make a mistake and our team can't seem to work together. Just by seeing how people work together on both teams can effect my moral. For the most part the big turn arounds I have had were the following:

1) We hold on long enough to get better players on the team. Coordination and skill pushes the other team back and we win.

2) I join a game, where my team is on it's last leg. As I am not demoralized yet as I just got on, I can sometimes put together a gorge rush together and come back to win the game. This is very effective when the marines get to cocky and don't have a seperate CC and/or IP location. I have done this on more than a few occasions.

3) We have no hope, let's go all in and see if we win. Skulk early base rushes are a great way to combat a stacked team.

Though there are some execptions. We happen to have Joshy join a game last night that I khammed as no one else wanted to. We held off for an hour with 2 hives and 3-4 RTs. I was that hold out as I thought we could turn it around. It didn't help having an annoying player calling me a liar, who was also saying that micro was cheating. ><

Though earlier that day I joined a refinery seeding match where marines normally get owned. I don't know what happen to the comm, but I ended up in the chair. Everyone wanted to concede and I was again a hold out. We eventually won that match and the high point of the aliens was dropping contanimation with whips in our base.

Normally I have no issues conceding, though I can usually see how people play together and that effects my willingness to concede.
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X