Captains Debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Debate

Please use this thread as a discussion about likes, dislikes, wants, don't wants, etc on my dedicated Captain's Nights held every Friday night.

Re: Captains Debate

Considering the number of (server) regulars that have signed the primer with a current post count of one, I think there might be more overall interest if there was an announcement of some sort upon joining the servers.
    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

That's been requested before. I'll take care of that soon.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm liking the Captains Games.

I think we're doing pretty well with what we've got. The only thing that I've really considered mentioning is a possible "sorting" system so that people can dictate in a visible manner what they feel they are best at. So, in the same way a person can opt in or out of captaining, we can add options to dictate whether you believe you are better fit for combat, support, or a balance of both. This is in an effort to eliminate the "Who wants to lerk?" "Okay... you two work it out between yourselves, we only need one lerk" kinda thing. It'll also help Commanders or Field Commanders dictate teams of Marines without so much guess work.

So... say we've got 8 players on Aliens, and they've all dictated what they feel they are best at.

1 - Khamm
        2 - B
        3 - S
        4 - B
        5 - B
        6 - C
        7 - C
        8 - S

So at this point the Khamm can say, "2, 3, 6 form team 1 and play defense on our expansion," "4, 5, 7, 8 form team 2 and play offense on the map".... "8, you're listed as support and we need a support lerk more than a combat lerk, so if you'd like to, I'd like for you to lerk" or "7, you're listed as combat. Can we count on you to Fade?"

It will be up to the player to choose their roles effectively enough to illustrate what they can do in the game. A person shouldn't pick Combat unless they feel comfortable going fade, aggressive lerk, or being that JP Shotgun guy that solo's the hive. A person shouldn't pick Support if they feel like they can Lerk really good. They would pick Balance. If a person feels like they do all things at average or above average, they could pick Balance. Etc.

We've got a bunch of c's on the scoreboard when we're picking teams that don't really serve a purpose because if we're picking teams, we're obviously all in a Capt Game. I think this function may help newer people who want to try to Captain, but don't REALLY know our players, pick a more balanced team. "I don't really know if that guy is good or not, but I know he shouldn't pick Combat if he doesn't think he can play a good fade." Imho, it's better than saying, "Re-Traced... cuz your name is cool." Lol.

It would be as easy as adding a syntax: sh_captaincombat, sh_captainbalance, sh_captainsupport. Then the mod would have all the c's before the Capt Mod started the Capt Game, then once the server initiated the Capt Game and team picking is starting, it would change all the useless c's (at that point) to C, S, B accordingly. I'd assume that we would likely need menu options that allow for easy dictation of what you feel you are best at. Maybe info about the dictation process somewhere in the M menu.

Am I crazy or is this a good idea? Lol. Obviously, it's not AS useful for Marines, but I think it can help the picking process, inner-team squad forming process, and lifeform selection on Aliens.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

I think that begins to once again make Captain's games more complex than it really needs to be.
          This is nothing that can't be handled with 30 seconds of quick voice communication between the players once the Captain hops into the team.

Comment

That seems way too complex, the tactics of the game will usually be shifting too quickly for certain people to always do the same thing over and over anyways making it kind of moot.

Comment

Kinda what I was thinking behind the idea. Was just considering that we're advertising for new guys to start playing Capt Games with us, and trying to counter the foreseeable future of, "I have no idea who you people are."

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

Fair enough, there will always be a few strangers around but personally I feel talking to them is a better way to sort out the 1 or 2 present per team than to base initial assessment of them on a letter chosen (the doing of which I assume would end up having to be explained anyways) by them.

Also I was unable to join at 16/16 last Friday, do the spec slots not show up as 17/17... 18/18 etc. anymore or am I missing something?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X