The Capt Game After Party

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Capt Game After Party

Or something to that effect on Saturday... or something.

I don't play all that often on TGNS2, but I've noticed the same map rotation in the vote menu over and over again.

I'd like to see if there is any interest in designating a time or a night specifically to trying maps. If we find one that we all think is fair and balanced, we can add it to our common rotation, hopefully.

Is there anything I need to know about using workshop maps on TGNS server? Is it allowed or discouraged?

How much has been tested already? I know we tried agora and plant, and they... sucked, for lack of a better word.

Have we tried icarus beta? Screens look nice.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...09&searchtext=

I'm not sure I'll be the best choice to lead this as I have no guaranteed way to be on at X time on X night, but if you guys will be understanding of my time constraints, and willing to test late, I'll gladly take charge with organization etc.

Let me know how you guys feel.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: The Capt Game After Party

Sounds fun to me, I'd definitely be up for it. It'd be great to play on fresh maps from time to time, with the players focusing on enjoying the variety, instead of the (very real) balance concerns.

Comment

Needs more ns2_hotdogs

Comment

Montyp led this effort for a couple weeks a while back. Don't know what ever happened to it.

I don't mind trying new maps, but a majority of the ones we went through last time with Monty really had me wondering why some map makers make such boneheaded decisions sometimes.
        Many of them have some really stupid flaw in them.

Comment

That's kinda what I'm afraid of, but we're never going to know/add new maps if we're just afraid to try.

So... I'll say if I can get at least 10 people in here (a 5 v 5 for the sake of mostly realistic testing) that's down for it, we'll see if we can get whatever map added to the rotation and some play time.

If you do post here, please include whether or not you are interested, whether or not you're okay with playing late on X night, what night you'd prefer, and if you have any map ideas, throw them out there with a link, please.

I enjoy the commentary immensely, but I need to know if your comment is just a comment or a show of interest in the idea... Dark... cry... :P

Mom
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I am mostly just enamored with the concept of a skulk hotdog factory honestly.
            I'm all for new maps though, but when they are bad we just need to move on quickly before people lose interest. Unless we are in contact with the map maker and the are open to suggestions from us.

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
              [snip]
              I enjoy the commentary immensely, but I need to know if your comment is just a comment or a show of interest in the idea... Dark... cry... :P

Mom
              It really depends on the time.
              Weekends are more or less my designated BL2 day with my group for the moment, as they can only really play on the weekends. If it's later at night, it might be doable for me personally, but don't feel obligated to schedule around me.
              Weekdays are also kind of hit or miss at the moment, thanks to Gearbox's silly BL2 loot hunt, where there are targets to hunt that change daily.
              This more or less means I have about 20 minutes at any point in the evening after my group gets home from work to hunt it and get out.

Comment

I loved BL2 for a long time... that game was awesome... until I played online, and realized that you can "dup" items... and Gearbox actually wants the ability to do so in the game. The breaking point came when I was playing with a friend and a friend of his came in and proceeded to drop one of every item possible on the floor.. he continued for about 45 minutes just dropping stuff... and it literally got to the point that there was no way I'd ever find anything in the game that wasn't already on the floor.

As far as time goes, I don't get on Natural Selection, in most cases, till after 11 Central Time. Generally the last Capt Game or the game before last is going on.. I'd like to see the game after that be a map test round, even if it's just to say, "This is crap," and move on to a normal game.

We played a very good game on caged last night. It was nice to not have any idea where I was going at 400 mph as a Lerk..

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Yeah, item duping is kind of bad, but it depends on who you play with.
                  I play online, but strictly with my group of close friends, so we all play legit and I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. I will never play a public-online game, though.
                  A recent patch removed all of the "black quality" items, though there are still other ways for people to make impossible gear.

Either way, we're on UVHM at 72, but we're technically still on our "first" play through, since it's only our first characters up there, and we still have yet to do the DLC areas.

That aside, I guess past midnight might be okay, though I will have to see how tired I am.

Caged last night was interesting. I guess the mapmaker updated it with a Halloween theme along with major changes to the map itself, as even though I played it a few times and I still remember the map from NS1 I was running into confusion because of the major route changes. As I dropped into the marine team, things looked pretty bleak, as you guys were attacking our IP's, most of the team was dead, and the team had no outside nodes - and this was already/only 2 minutes in. Once the lerks came out, our commander struggled to save for shotguns, and part of our team was arguing to cancel shotguns and drop an RT instead so we'd have a second one.

The alien's pack play was pretty strong, and kept us from advancing past Satan's Butthole for a good while, even when we went in with a group of 4 marines. I am surprised that we wound up recovering from that and ultimately winning, since it took so long for us to get a few RT's, and Generator. I guess it did help that we had that guy with the numerous badges (Joshhy, I think someone called him?) and he was doing what he could. He was pretty good at coordinating ambushes and pincers on the alien lifeforms with us. I imagine the tide started turning when we were able to take out your lifeforms one by one. I managed to cut off the retreat of an early Fade and killed him near Generator, which I imagine helped a bit. When the Onoses came out though, we were in trouble as they were playing pretty smart. It wasn't until we got Jetpacks that I was able to successfully bait one of the Onoses into Central thinking it was just me, while I was calling on my comms to phase through immediately because I had already done a lot of damage on my own. That extra burst of damage from the team was enough for me to pick him off with my pistol as he was retreating. Then mirage came barreling through. We all know what happened there, though. ;)

Overall, a pretty decent game with some nice moments for us. That failed push on Vent with the PG was a bit of a disappointment though; we more or less put everything into it and lost most of the map in exchange, and we still couldn't take it down. Not even my FT could slow you guys down.

Comment

What changed in the "Halloween" update on caged? (pumpkins aside)
                    I actually opted to take a break when the map changed as I didn't want to play it.

Comment

That was a very good game, but I think the big downfall was that the Alien team didn't take it too seriously. I will personally admit I focused on Joshy too much... and I think some others can admit to the same thing. Actually, when you left, Cry, I felt a mood shift within the server from "let's play a game" to "meh, let's see what happens". It was only considerably later that the mood shifted back into the prior and Marines got there before Aliens did.

I think a lot of us felt like we just killed the server by switching to caged when you left.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by crymeariver View Post
                        What changed in the "Halloween" update on caged? (pumpkins aside)
                        I actually opted to take a break when the map changed as I didn't want to play it.
                        Several paths around the map were changed/altered from the previous version, and moved away noticeably from NS1's map layout.
                        Most of the changes appeared to be around the Central Processing area, though the marine base > Satan's Butthole area seemed to have gotten widened as well with more area for skulks to ambush and find cover around.
                        The most notable change around Central Processing is the pathway leading toward Ventilation no longer has that path going into Purification (used to be a weldable access point in NS1.)
                        Instead, that path continues south and merges into a new path that takes the place of the vent system that used to connect Ventilation with Purification. As a result, the vent is no longer there, and instead is a path that allows marines to directly access Ventilation straight from Sewer.

Besides that, most of the changes seemed to be just polish and details to replace the flatter texture areas.

Comment

Oops, didn't think me leaving was a big deal, caged got voted in and there was still 12+ people after I left I thought? I'm a bit finicky about maps I know.

Dark, doesn't sound like that helps out with the exposed alien RTs on the the south of the map or the distance between them. Seems like the map is still heavy on the marine bias.

Comment

When have there ever been an NS1/4TP remake map that has been in favor of aliens?
                            We have thus far tried pretty extensively veil, eclipse, caged, and tanith. ALL of them have RT's miles away from alien hives.

It was okay in NS1 because you couldn't cut cyst chains, but they need to be adapted for NS2's mechanics.

Comment

I like to think that veil kind of compensates with easy access to a double res node whereas caged and tanith both used to give easy access to double for marines. The central areas still present a great staging area for he marines to push out and hem the aliens in however. I think nostalgia is beating out design a bit which makes many of the NS1 remakes very frustrating to play.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X