Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Waiting for server" and one server (temporarily)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Waiting for server" and one server (temporarily)

6 or 8 months ago, mapchanges suddenly took 2-10 minutes, with clients seeing "Waiting for Server" in the meantime. I lasted for weeks, and magically stopped before I could determine a cause.

We were two servers at the time, and my strongest lead suggested that our dual-server, shared config might have been to blame (never proved that before it magically stopped happening -- I'd changed nothing).

The long mapchanges have returned, and I've disabled one of our servers to see if it will reproduce when only one server is running.

We will be back up to two servers before Captains Games this Friday, if not sooner.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: "Waiting for server" and one server (temporarily)

Both servers online. Might return us to one server in a couple days, as I'm still working to investigate performance.

To my knowledge, we didn't have a single extended "Waiting for Server" when only running one server. Please let me know if they return.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 11-01-2013, 02:13 AM.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
      Both servers online. Might return us to two servers in a couple days, as I'm still working to investigate performance.

To my knowledge, we didn't have a single extended "Waiting for Server" when only running one server. Please let me know if they return.
      Um?
      I'll assume you meant 'one' there.

Comment

Indeed. Fixed. ty

Comment

Has this worked?

Comment

Has anyone seen "Waiting for Server" take a really long time when only one server was running?

Comment

I personally have not, but then even with two servers, I could never reliably reproduce (or figure out the pattern to, rather) when the server would suddenly take forever to load.
              It's possible that it happens with one server as well, but we haven't run into similar conditions required to cause it yet.

Comment

yay doubles.

Comment

We're still troubleshooting the occasional mapchange WAITING FOR SERVER delays when both servers are online. We've narrowed the cause, but I don't think we're out of the woods yet.

Chuckle is online as of this writing.

If you experience WAITING FOR SERVER for more than 2 minutes on either server, please document here ASAP. Include server name and time (w/ timezone, and as precise as you can manage). I really don't think the maps you're changing from or to matter at all.

Comment

When I show up tomorrow (Thurs) night around 8PM Central, I'm going to run both servers stock for several hours (16 slots each -- no reserved slots at all). If you see WAITING FOR SERVER during this time for more than 2 minutes, please post here.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be in TeamSpeak during this time if you need anything on either server.

Comment

Running stock tonight gave Dark and I a lot of information tonight. Many thanks to everyone who was inconvenienced by playing w/o mods/etc.

Please continue to report here when you see WAITING FOR SERVER on either server for more than 2 minutes.

Comment

Both servers are online, on separate boxes.

Player data (opt-ins, balance data, taglines, etc) has been cloned from Taunt to Chuckle, but they'll be separate from here on out.

If you opt in/out on one, you'll need to do it on the other.

If you edit your tagline on one, it won't affect the other.

etc.

etc.

Comment

Awesome! I hope this fixes the loading problems.

Comment

From all the data we gathered, I'm pretty sure it will.
                            The only downside is that data is no longer synchronized.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                              From all the data we gathered, I'm pretty sure it will.
                              The only downside is that data is no longer synchronized.
                              Maybe every once in a while (like a 4am or some other off-time) have it sync up? Not sure how easy that would be to implement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X